Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

XboxOne Xbox One Normal Drive vs SSD External Drive

Spoiler:

I play a lot of Destiny 2 on my standard Xbox One and the loading and menu times have been getting increasingly worse with each update so I decided it was time to get myself an external SSD drive.

First thing I researched was could I use more than 1 external drive as I already have a 500GB external drive (not SSD) and yes you can no problem so I then started searching for the best deal I could get, of course I wanted a huge one but could not really justify the expense of a 1TB and the reality is I can move whatever the current games I am playing over to it quite easily.

In the end I purchased an external 256Gb 2.5" SSD refurbished, some things I won't touch a refurbished version but don't have a problem with a SSD as they have no moving parts so either work or don't.

Arrived next day and the seller say's 'if it is for XBOX or PS4 please leave a note with your order so I can format correctly' which I did and it came Xbox One ready.

Simple process, plug it in a USB slot, power on the Xbox One you should get a message to set it up and it's ready, I moved Destiny 2 from my main drive to the new SSD drive it took around 5 mins then I was ready to go.

Before changing the drive I recorded some footage so I could compare it with the loading and menu speed on the new drive, hopefully it is clear to see the increased speed accessing the menu items and I have not seen any lag loading screens in an hours play which I would have seen multiple times using the internal drive.

Any questions I will do my best to answer and I have listed the vendor (UK) below, I have no connection with him what so ever other than he had the best deal and I found his service top rate.

Ebay: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Drive I purchased: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

2 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

BIG-TED (17th March 2019), piggzy (10th March 2019) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Xbox One Normal Drive vs SSD External Drive

Thanks for the info.

Now wondering if there is a reason you can't replace the built in HDD with an SSD. I'm sure a quick google will tell me.

Probably not a massive increase for me on the built in one as I have the Elite which yes is only a hybrid SSD so sort of halfway in between but was thinking of picking up a Slim as mine is showing its age now.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    Thanks for the info.

Now wondering if there is a reason you can't replace the built in HDD with an SSD. I'm sure a quick google will tell me.

Probably not a massive increase for me on the built in one as I have the Elite which yes is only a hybrid SSD so sort of halfway in between but was thinking of picking up a Slim as mine is showing its age now.
    Sure you can replace the stock drive but for me it would then need to be larger and all I wanted was to increase the loading speed on the games I am playing at the time not really got an issue with the loading on the dashboard plus come the next console I can just unplug the external and use it for something else no messing about, I don't think with an Elite there is a massive difference but certainly with a normal Xbox One the difference is quite considerable not only with Destiny 2 but I put Trials rising on there as well and the loading speed was a 20-30 seconds increase when loading tracks and well over a minute loading the game. Might sound a small amount to save but it makes all the difference certainly with Destiny 2.

Thanks to Bald Bouncer

piggzy (10th March 2019) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've had a 500gb ssd sat in a drawer for a while and always thought about linking it to my Xbox. Just transferring some games over as I type
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fear345 View Post
    I've had a 500gb ssd sat in a drawer for a while and always thought about linking it to my Xbox. Just transferring some games over as I type
    Be interested to know if you notice the difference, have you got a standard or Elite?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have an Xbox One X having moved PUBG, Battlefield V and Red Dead 2 I can an improvement in each of them in loading speed.

3 Thanks given to Fear345

Bald Bouncer (10th March 2019), WRATH OF BOD (10th March 2019) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

I bought a 240gb WD Green for mine a few weeks back. It drastically improves loading times. I play Sea of Thieves and the initial load for that is around 40 seconds on the SSD or 2 mins on my internal hdd. I server hop a lot looking for other ships to fuck up so this helps. I tried Red Dead 2 on it and it's like playing a different game, you don't lose the immersion waiting for scenes to load. Best upgrade I have done to my xbox.

It says in the Storage menu on the Xbox that you will need a 256gb drive but it recognises a 240gb drive with no issue.

2 Thanks given to beerman

Bald Bouncer (15th March 2019) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't trust WD Green - had 2 of their 3.5" drives die on me.

To be honest I don't trust any "green" drives - I've read one of their main power saving features is to spin down whenever possible, and I've also read that power cycling hard drives more often increases failure rate due to the heads lifting away from platters then dropping down on them repeatedly.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over Carl View Post
    I don't trust WD Green - had 2 of their 3.5" drives die on me.

To be honest I don't trust any "green" drives - I've read one of their main power saving features is to spin down whenever possible, and I've also read that power cycling hard drives more often increases failure rate due to the heads lifting away from platters then dropping down on them repeatedly.
    I'm pretty sure a WD Green SSD won't suffer from spinning down. It has a 3 year warranty anyway.

I've had 6 greens in a nas for four years with no issue. In the same nas a seagate barracuda failed. Maybe it's just luck but I'd definitely buy a WD green HDD again

Thanks to beerman

Over Carl (17th March 2019) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hmm, you may have a bit of a point there. I should have really paid attention to the fact the whole point in this thread is replacing an HDD with an SSD.

Thanks to Over Carl

beerman (18th March 2019) 

Social Networking Bookmarks