Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Been scammed on FB

Bought a watch off Facebook few days ago. I got the chaps Name, Bank details, number, address and e-mail prior to paying via bank transfer. He answered the phone and confirmed it was him etc, so I was satisfied he was genuine.

This was 3 days ago, and last message said he posted it. I asked for tracking info and he's gone quiet. I can no longer trace his Facebook profile (so suspect I've been blocked), I cannot send any further FB messages to him and can't find him on an incogneto account either. Mobile rings out now to.

What's the next step here, do I report him via Action Fraud, or should I get a Solicitor involved?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Been scammed on FB

Depends how much you lost, re action fraud, when this happened to me last year they were next to useless, i know it's no help now, but never part with your readies until the goods are in your hand.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Oooh no way would i pay bank transfer to a stranger when buying something!
    I don't think you can do fuck all about it now bank transfer made by you means you chose to send the payment to an unknown person.

Did he have lots of genuine friends and can you see him via another account say your wife's or kids account?
    Turn up on his door step if you can find him.

Im sure there's someone here that can find him by his mobile number.
    Instagram and twitter @mrteajunkie.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I know, I'm a dick. I've bought and sold loads before, and thought I would be safe by getting his address email phone number etc.

I've done some reasearch and can log a claim via Action Fraud and also via Money Claim on Line, costs 30 but can get it into Court, and he'll end with a DDJ.

Seems crazy over a 100 watch!

Thanks
    Karma Level

If he ditched the mobile phone no then the address etc prob all going to be bogus, I think might just need take this on chin dude :-(

Thanks
    Karma Level

PM me his details provided and I'll check the info is right and possibly give you some hooks to use that might assist.

3 Thanks given to JonEp

BigBrand (15th March 2019), Over Carl (15th March 2019), Zippeyrude (15th July 2019) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Feel like a right fucking mug, so angry.

I've bought and sold loads on there over the years never had a problem, usually scope out profile before and get their addersses and phone numbers, saying that I do pay via PP most of the time, but have done over 20+ bank transfers again, without any issue.

I've send the chap a letter (probs false address)
    I've sent him SMS and Whatsapp (says Online, but no profile pic, so poss dummy number or burner sim)

Going to do some more work today looking for other Social media accounts etc.

I've reported him via Action Fraud (likely they won't touch it but it's a step I have to take)

And after 7 days, I will commence proceedings via Money Claim online.

From what I've ready, in conjunction with the Police, the Police will provide details for who owns the bank account, which is the only realiable way of tracing an individuals.

it's just down to timescales, and when they will get round to doing it, which I suspect is not very quick at all.

Thanks JonEP, PM sent.

Lesson learnt! Never BT anymore unless you have got the item in person etc. !

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not much use now, but when buying from facebook get a mate to message the seller too, to make the deal. if they seem to following it through and already agreed to sell to you then you know they are on the scam.

4 Thanks given to consoles

-G-Man- (1 Week Ago), BigBrand (17th March 2019), MHP (17th March 2019), Over Carl (16th July 2019) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just to update this for Forum learning and interest.

I purused this via the Money Claim Online system and paid a 30 fee to register the claim.

After reporting to Action Fraud, I used the evidence I had uncovered and submmited the case. The claim was served against the individual, however, as he had provided a false address, I needed to try and trace him.

After some investigation a further address was located and the claim form was re served. Unfortunately, he had moved from this address, and the claim form was sent return to sender.

At this stage I did not have any other information to his location, so decided to apply for a judgement against him.

This was all included in the 30 cost.

The judgement was entered, and although the addresses I had were fake, it would be held against his Name, DOB (which I did know) and linked via credit records for previous addresses, which would show up in any future credit applications as an unsatisfied judgement.

Further down the line, I then was able to trace his childrens mothers date of birth which allowed the search of her records (thanks for Mr X for that!).

From here I obtained a current address for him and his partner (as proven by current Electoral Register information).

Now, I sent my claim form back to the Courts to re-serve on a new address. Unfortunately, as the judgement had been entered, this cannot be done.

The option I have now is to set the judgement aside before reserving the claim form at the current address known for him, at a cost of 100.

Now, as it stands, the watch I originally bought was for 130, plus my 30 court fee and 8% interest PA from the date of purchase until now (15.07) (3.65) means I am owed 163.65.

I'm now at the stage of calling it quits and leaving the judgement as unsatisfied, or paying the 100 fee to have it set aside, and then re-serving the claim form.

Is anyone aware if I can include the 100 court fee in my losses, making my claimed amount 263.65? Or if this cost is inherited by me as a none recoverable court fee, as if it is, there is no sense in chasing this legall any further.

The address is 6 hours drive from me, so don't fancy driving 12 hours on the off chance they answer/speak to me, as my time and fuel costs don't make it worth it.

I do plan on sending some correspodnence to that address, citing I have traced him, and will be re-serving the claim form with additional costs, unless I'm reimbursed.

What would be your thoughts?

2 Thanks given to BigBrand

ivrytwr3 (15th July 2019), Over Carl (16th July 2019) 

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd weigh up the time/energy you are spending on this as sometimes (as frustrating as it is) the drain on your time and mental health isn't worth it.

That said, what happens if you leave it as-is? Does he have the judgement served when he appears on their systems? If you can claim the 100 back and it's not taking up a lot more of your time then that's probably the best move but I've never tried using these procedures so am not sure if it can be claimed.

2 Thanks given to evilsatan

BigBrand (15th July 2019), Over Carl (16th July 2019) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes, currently, it's not that big of a drain on my time/resource, that's already done in the submission of documents, so just a case of sending a few bits of info here and there.

If I leav this as is, then yes, he has a "unsatisfied judgement" against his credit file, which won't neceassarily prevent him from obtaining credit moving forwards, but does stop most lenders from allowing credit to be provided. Considering he lives in rented accomodation, this could well impact him down the line. This will stay on his record for 7 years, but becomes less effective as time moves forward.

I can, should I wish to do so, press for the courts to enforce the judgement, where the defendent will be summond to court, and the judge can either declare the money to be deducted from salary, or paid cash within X number of days. Obviously that's a route I don't want to take as the value of claim doesn't support that.

Thanks
    Karma Level

what area of the uk is he ? there are some very resourceful people on here

Thanks to consoles

MHP (15th July 2019) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Post the cunts address up.
    Instagram and twitter @mrteajunkie.

Thanks
    Karma Level

send a nice personal letter to him saying that if he dont pay you back then hes going to court, and as you can see i can track you wherever you go so theres no hiding

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Different situation but some time ago I was owed some money from a marketing firm who failed to put a magazine to print and I had bought some advertising space. Contacting the office didn’t get me anywhere and I suspect the same user here who helped you got me the home addresses of the listed directors. I sent a letter by recorded mail so I knew it had been received, as soon as they received it they phoned me and were very angry. I explained they are listed as the director, it’s illegal for them to be listed if they are not involved and they owe me money, I had it back days later.

The point I’m making is a letter to his new address is likely to be a surprise and if he has any form of morals and values it will weigh on his mind and he will hopefully realise you’re not going away and weigh you out. Only thing to be cautious of is if he may still have your address and if he is a total wanker.

Thanks
    Karma Level

His new address is in *removed*.

I've read up on a few bits, and the 100 court fee is not recoverable unless I enforce the judgement by way of court hearing and recovery enforcement.

So that leaves me just with this on my own.

I'll send him a RD letter saying I've tracked him and he has 14 days to pay and as above see if that scares him into paying.
    Last edited by evilsatan; 16th July 2019 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Removed details

Thanks
    Karma Level

PS is anyone is close by and fancies a door knock, there is 50 in it for you

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've removed his address to protect you and DF, wouldn't want there to be a legal case against you when you are in the right!

Thanks to evilsatan

BigBrand (16th July 2019) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just seen this post on FB as well,

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Probably too little too late now

Social Networking Bookmarks