Strange engine noise/vibration - Hyundai Trajet

Thread: Strange engine noise/vibration - Hyundai Trajet

piggzy said:

Default Strange engine noise/vibration - Hyundai Trajet

Picked up a people carrier a couple of months ago as although we technically don't need 7 seats, apparently we do ???

Anyway found a bargain on a Hyundai Trajet and am now wondering if we have been sold a lemon !?!??

It's a strange one to describe but here goes. (Hyundai Trajet 2.0 Turbo Diesel Manual)

In every gear (although not really noticable in first) it has what I would call a vibration/rumble and seems to struggle as if going up a hill (might be in my head about it struggling) but only happens between 1500-1800 revs.

So smooth as either side of this rev range ?!?!? If you use barely any throttle going through 1500-1800 revs you barely notice, if you give it full throttle it is a different story and the vibration is much worse. I'm by no means a mechanic so thought I would ask before trying to trouble shoot myself..

Checked air filter, looks fine, was wondering fuel filter, injectors etc. One thing I noticed yesterday was the large pipe that goes from front near the radiotor to the airfilter box appears to be just a push fit ?? Is this normal or should there be some form of clip e.g. could it be a breathing problem?

No engine lights at all. Just the ABS light but that is a seperate issue as I already know it needs a new ABS ring on one of the front wheels.

Also seems really, really shit on fuel, Also have another 2.0 litre diesel although not a 7 seater which seems to be faaaaaaaaaar better on fuel, I do expect it to do less due to it obvs weighing a lot more, maybe expecting a bit too much perhaps lol

Only done 90k - 2006 model.

Cheers for any advise guys.

rusty said:

Default Re: Strange engine noise/vibration - Hyundai Trajet

have you tried the hyundai forum
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

also using google translate you can check out the polish and Czech Hyundai forums

BIG-TED said:

sounds like your fan belt may need a new car ?

possible dual mass flywheel ?
    Intake pipe or air cleaner filter box not correctly seated or in some case not even done up.
    It difficult with out witnessing it first hand.
    Ted
    Run your wife a nice hot bath, light some candles & pour some wine. Then you've at least 40 mins on the xbox plus a clean wife.

Experts... x is an unknown quantity and spurt is a fast drip.

piggzy said:

Quote Originally Posted by BIG-TED View Post
    sounds like your fan belt may need a new car ?

possible dual mass flywheel ?
    Intake pipe or air cleaner filter box not correctly seated or in some case not even done up.
    It difficult with out witnessing it first hand.
    Ted
    Cheers Big-Ted. I did mull over Dual Mass fly wheel but I have zero issues in gear changes and zero vibration in gear stick or clutch pedal which I thought I would experience for this. It's that exact rev range that has me baffled, as though it occurs when under a certain load/pressure that occurs in the rev range ?!?!?

The only other thing I noticed is when you change into neutral for example as approaching traffic lights etc sometimes it struggles with revs as if the idle wrong. If I dip the clutch for a second or give it a few revs then this idle issue goes away. Most likely unrelated ....

I have a lot of paper work and can see that about 40k ago some knob forgot to change the cam belt which obviously snapped and there is a bill for a whole rebuild of valves and engine bits .... Don't think it was caused by this though as I know the previous owner did over 25k since and drove it to Estonia and back a number of times.

Cheers anyway.

Just popped into my head but before I bought it I do know it was sat around and not even started for at least 6 months.... could that cause any issues ??

icewarrior said:

dribbling injector perhaps ? have you tried a bottle of injector cleaner into a 1/4 tank of fuel so you get a strong mix then get it hot and gun it up the road for a while ?

piggzy said:

Quote Originally Posted by icewarrior View Post
    dribbling injector perhaps ? have you tried a bottle of injector cleaner into a 1/4 tank of fuel so you get a strong mix then get it hot and gun it up the road for a while ?
    Will give it a try cheers.

I am suspecting Dual Mass Fly wheel tbh, the only thing that doesnt make sense is zero vibration/judder in gear stick or clutch pedal. I would have though I should have felt something ?!?!?!?

beansontoast said:

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    Will give it a try cheers.

I am suspecting Dual Mass Fly wheel tbh, the only thing that doesnt make sense is zero vibration/judder in gear stick or clutch pedal. I would have though I should have felt something ?!?!?!?
    If I put my engineering hat on your problems occur in a particular rev range, you're going through a natural frequency that's undamped. This is going to be caused by something that's rotating at engine speed. DMF sounds like the first thing to check. If it wasn't revs related I would also have said look at the drive shafts to see if there's both original because you said one needs a new reluctor ring (ABS) although this data comes from the gearbox nowadays. You could have had an aftermarket drive shaft, the original could have had a damper on it. That's a solid damper, can be multiple mass and multiple mode but I'll not go into that.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

piggzy said:

Dunno about most vehicles but the ABS rings on these are just fixed to the end shaft, eg you can buy a new ring for 2 and have a nightmare changing it or as in my case you can buy a whole new CV joint kit for 15 including delivery and it already has ring attached :-) I just havent had time to fit it yet.

So does what you said apply to this pmsl. eg If someone has changed ring previously it would have only been cv joint bit and not whole shaft.

Was trying to listen with radio off and stuff more today. It literally shakes the top of the dash, seems very high up in the engine area the vibration etc

If it is DMF would I not be getting loads of feedback in either clutch pedal or gear stick???

Was looking at DMF's online today. Two massivly different prices. One says for vehicles without a VTG Turbocharger and other for with a VTG turbocharger.
    It is a turbo diesel but wtf is a VTG Turbocharger and how would I know if I have one ?!?!?!?!?

I hope to god I dont as it is 5 times the price of the first ..... :-(