Close

Thread: WIFI Issues

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info WIFI Issues

Hi All

would'nt mind some advise if possible

I currently have 350Mb broadband with Virgin Media using the Superhub 3 and the connection speed my sons receive in there bedroom is ridiculous normally between 20Mb and 70Mb and they are both connected via a WIFI extender plugged directly into the wall and via a cat5 cable.

devices i have connected to the network is

4 x Iphones
    1x Apple Homepod
    1x HP Printer
    1x Nintendo Switch
    2x PS4's
    4 x Philips Hue Lights + Hub
    1x Sky Q box

what is the best way to improve the speed around my house and stop my kids nagging at me due to glitchng whilst playing Fifa or Fortnite.

I have looked at [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] but not sure this will work.

what setups do other people have??

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: WIFI Issues

Look at getting a mesh kit although I would have thought them speed were fine for gaming.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    Look at getting a mesh kit although I would have thought them speed were fine for gaming.
    yea you would of thought so but sometimes it just kicks them out of game due to connection errors - got VM coming out friday to investigate as sometimes the speeds can be less

Thanks
    Karma Level

I would suspect the ping is the issue or perhaps the gaming servers.
    Those downloads speeds are far more than adequete.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    I would suspect the ping is the issue or perhaps the gaming servers.
    Those downloads speeds are far more than adequete.
    how do you check the ping?? or how to improve it?
    only play fifa and fortnite

Thanks
    Karma Level

to get a ping stat just open a command line and type ping ( and ip address or url )

wifi extenders plugged into the mains are speed dependent on your home mains wiring circuits which can vary enormously from house to house for a multitude of factors

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Is this a homeplug WiFi extender or one that connects to your router wirelessly and repeats the signal?

If the latter then it sounds like you have the extender in the same room as the PS4 so the extender isn't doing much as the signal loss is the same for the console or extender. Repeaters should go between the router and the console so it picks up a strong signal and repeats that on.

If it's a homeplug then there may be some disruption/noise on your mains circuit. What model are you using? Some models from Solwise (and maybe other makes too) use all three mains cables to try and have the fastest/most reliable connection.

Mesh seems to be the way forward now as you can add nodes as you need to to expand coverage and you connect to one network and can roam around your property having the device seamlessly connect to the best node. I have my PS4 Pro next to my router and still use WiFi as I was finding it disconected when using wired, all I could find was a couple of people in the same boat saying something like the heat causes the wired connection to d/c sometimes.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cat5 cables to all console and gaming PCs its the only way :-)

WIFI use 5ghz AC over 2.4 get a wifi scanner app and see what channels your neighbours are on, overlapping wifi will cause interference. i remember a tv program tell people to use channels 6 to fix wifi or that brand of router that puts all user on ch6 :-) use different ssid for 2.4 and 5ghz not good every one putting there routers on the same channel

Gigabit powerline adapters but don't cheep out [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

mesh networks not all are equal, be careful not having dedicated back haul can slow throughput. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

wifi extenders most but not all will slow the network throughput some will half the network speed other use 5ghz for the backbone and offer 2.4 wifi

WIFI - Should you buy now or wait, Wifi6 is just out with limited support but will resolve a lot of issue including security (( WPA3 :-) )) and been able to talk to one than one device at a time.

Standard Frequency Real World Speed
    802.11g 2.4Ghz 10 -29 Mbps
    802.11n 2.4Ghz 150 Mbps
    802.11n 5Ghz 450Mbps
    802.11ac 5Ghz 210 Mbps - 1 G
    Last edited by Copex; 1st April 2019 at 09:58 PM.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

2.4Ghz has slower throughout speeds and is more likely to be congested but is better at penetrating materials than 5Ghz so just bear that in mind and run a speed test on both frequencies to see what works for you but as above, signal is strong then 5Ghz is best.

WiFi Analyzer is a decent free app in the Windows Store for scanning networks, channels etc. Also NetSpot.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    Is this a homeplug WiFi extender or one that connects to your router wirelessly and repeats the signal?

If the latter then it sounds like you have the extender in the same room as the PS4 so the extender isn't doing much as the signal loss is the same for the console or extender. Repeaters should go between the router and the console so it picks up a strong signal and repeats that on.

If it's a homeplug then there may be some disruption/noise on your mains circuit. What model are you using? Some models from Solwise (and maybe other makes too) use all three mains cables to try and have the fastest/most reliable connection.

Mesh seems to be the way forward now as you can add nodes as you need to to expand coverage and you connect to one network and can roam around your property having the device seamlessly connect to the best node. I have my PS4 Pro next to my router and still use WiFi as I was finding it disconected when using wired, all I could find was a couple of people in the same boat saying something like the heat causes the wired connection to d/c sometimes.
    actually got 2 separate wifi extenders (Netgear and D-Liink) that plug into my boys mains sockets and then connect via cat5 cable to there consoles.
    currently looking to purchase the Linksys Velop (3 pack) to see if this addresses the issues as I would expect having two extenders are not helping the situation.

Virgin Media going on that me having 10 devices connected to the network is going to drop the speed but would of thought i would be getting at least 150-200Mbs - lets see what they say when they come out on Friday to investigate

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks for all your help - much appreciated

Social Networking Bookmarks