Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

News Manchester United appoint Mike Phelan as assistant manager

Manchester United appoint Mike Phelan as assistant manager

Mike Phelan first left the club in 2013 when David Moyes took over

Mike Phelan has been confirmed as Manchester United's assistant manager on a three-year deal.

The 56-year-old returned to United in December as part of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's backroom team.
    Phelan, who was sacked as Hull City manager in 2017, had most recently held the role of sporting director at Australian side Central Coast Mariners.
    He served as Sir Alex Ferguson's assistant from 2008 to 2013, having been a first-team coach since 2001.
    "Manchester United has been a huge part of my life since I joined as a player in 1989 and I am delighted to be able to continue that relationship in this key role," said Phelan.
    Solskjaer said Phelan had been "invaluable" to him, adding: "I've been a player under him, his knowledge, experience, demeanour, everyone in the club enjoys speaking to him, talking to him, discussing football with him, players really respect him, they know what he can do and he's worked with the best.
    "I'm very pleased they've finally agreed. When Ed (Woodward) rang me [in December], he [Phelan] was my first port of call to assist me and we're here now for a few years together."

'Miracle to challenge for title'

United host Cardiff on Sunday for the last game of the season but they will miss out on a Champions League place regardless of the result.
    They are 29 points behind leader Manchester City and have not won the title since Ferguson's last season in 2012-13.
    "I think I've been quite honest that challenging for the title next year would be a miraculous season because we're so far behind at the moment points wise," said Solskjaer.
    "So next season, we've got to close that gap. If we manage to get to February, March being close, that's fantastic but if not this summer will also be about players who can last here for many years."

After Jose Mourinho was sacked in December, Solskjaer got United back into top-four contention and they were fourth in February after he won eight of his first nine league games.
    But they have only won four games in all competitions since, losing to Wolves in the FA Cup quarter-final and knocked out of the Champions League by Barcelona.
    They are winless in their last five games, their worst sequence since they went eight games without a victory under Louis van Gaal between November and December 2015.
    Asked how the season has gone, the Norwegian said: "It's a mixture because we were so far behind when we came in before Christmas.
    "I could sense the positivity, when you start winning games it was fantastic to be in that group. That showed us the potential and quality in the players [but] of course we didn't have the consistency.
    "We just fell that short of what would be a miraculous target of fourth back in December. It's been a mixed bag for me but I can handle it, I'm just thinking about the players, how emotional it will have been for them - they started the season with one manager, finished with another one, they've had the highs and lows.
    "I've been in football a few more years than these and I've had those emotions but I've looked forward coming in every day, so have the players.
    "Even though sometimes after games you've lost, you feel that we've let ourselves down but overall it's been an adventure for me so far. I'd absolutely loved it."

Herrera to make announcement, no comment on James

Solskjaer said he hoped to give club captain Antonio Valencia "a nice send-off", with the full-back set to leave the club after 10 years.
    Another player who could be leaving is Ander Herrera, with the Spanish midfielder expected to leave the club for Paris St-Germain when his contract ends in June.
    "Ander might play," said Solskjaer. "I don't know yet. We haven't picked the team and he's probably going to announce later on where he's going to continue his football."
    United have been linked with 21-year-old Swansea winger Daniel James, but Solskjaer would not comment on the rumours.
    "We've identified some players we think will fit the United squad and let's hope we can get some over the line," he said.
    "The earlier you can do the transfers, the better it is because when you come in on 1 July, you want to have a nice picture of what this team is going to be looking like."
    Phelan's appointment means he has been ruled out of the running to become technical director.
    "The club will announce when they feel they've found the right man," added Solskjaer.
    "Until then we just work on the same structure we have now. I can say for me, Mick, we've been involved in loads of meetings about recruiting players and how we go forward.
    "I'm happy with the communication and the targets we've put up."

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ]Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Manchester United appoint Mike Phelan as assistant manager

Phelan was there during Fergies successful reign, i thought it was a massive mistake when Moyes fucked him off, good to see him back, sadly the whole team needs revamping, i can see UTD being in the doldrums for years.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ed & Co really fucked up not having a plan in place for post Fergie. The team we won the league with under SAF was massivly over performing, they weren't great as a whole.

At that stage there should have been investment, and rebuilding and "2-3 period" of doing it the right way.

Sadly, the club made the wrong choices in both management, (Moyes, LVG etc) and player signings, which has resulted in us bouncing around for years with different managers, new players, overpaid, not the right fit etc etc etc.

So now we're at the stage, where you have Ole, Pat & Carrick, with a wealth of experience of how United should and could play. You now need to invest in the RIGHt players that fit the philisophy, and not just sign big names or sub par players on big wages as a way of attracting them.

The rebuild starts now under Ole IMO, and when he departs the team should then be in good sted.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If Poch becomes available, i reckon they will fuck Ole off.

Thanks
    Karma Level

No chance utd will give ogs time to sort the team out, they are all about the money if it doesn't look like a top 4 finish is on the cards he will be out on his ear. They need cl football to meet caveats with various sponsors I believe, addidas deal drops significantly of our of the cl for a couple of seasons.

On the squad they are in big trouble, no decent midfielders (pogba is decent 1 game in 10), why have they let Lukaku get so out of shape and don't play to any of his strengths?! Rashford is the next great hope but doesn't appear to be developing, lingard is awful, squads attitude appears to stink also.

They need 3 full backs, 2 centerbacks 3 or 4 midfielders and at least one decent striker for starters then start trading players like martial etc for players with the right mindset and age, recent purchases have been poor at best.

All in a market where Bayern, Madrid, Barca etc are carrying aging squads and looking to renew, leaves utd with either cast offs from the aforementioned or taking the next best they can get (although I doubt they could compete for players against these teams anymore, even domestically players probably choose city or Liverpool over utd in the NW Chelsea in London unless they are offered silly wages ala Sanchez).

They also need to recruit players of the right age, no more 29years olds on the last big deal.
    They need to commit to a manager for a few seasons who has a plan, recruiting players to suit the plan at the right age.

Not the buy the players who will sell the most shirts.

I'm a city fan, utd deserve what they are getting at the moment after years of taking the piss, both fans and Ferguson.
    Utd thought post Ferguson they were too big to fail, Fergusons influence was far reaching and I don't think they anticipated how difficult it would be to carry on after he moved upstairs.
    He over achieved in his final season and he saw the writing on the wall with the glazers a few seasons prior to his departure I believe, the fact they still have a few of his squad in place speaks volumes.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Lukaku 70 million lol, Fred is the worst Brazilian player since Kleberson, and we signed him as well, Jones, Smalling, are championship players at best, no wonder Degea looks shaky with those two in front of him.

It's not an over night fix.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Let's be honest, United are now in the same period Liverpool were in at the start of the nineties. It's already been six years since United won the title and realistically they're not going to win it next year.No Champions League either next season so attracting the top names will be difficult. I've also heard it several times that Old Trafford is a bit shabby now too and needs investment. They're falling behind the likes of Spurs, City and Liverpool and it's going to be difficult to catch up.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Old Trafford needs hundreds of millions spending on it. Roof has gone in 2 of 4 stands and the concourses are in a bad way.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

united will be back.................might just take another 3 or 4 managerial changes, change of owner, a shed load of personnel both playing, coaching and scouting. very sad to see the chain of events and the numpties making decisions which are beyond their experience and capabilities. many factors to blame and hard to know where they need to begin, i am gutted because i would loved to have seen them mix it with the top dogs but i think at the moment we are the new arsenal who will be happy to be in and around the top 6 but instead of trying on the pitch we seem to be more focussed on generating more income with deals with tractor companies and not realising the success on the pitch will bring far more deals to their door without needing to try. Also getting frustrated with talk of this is how we used to do things, or fergie never did this/that. Fergie has gone so we need to stop trying to replicate and actually adapt because the more we sit and try to copy a template which can only be used if you run the club from top to bottom, the further and further behind we fall the more modern setups. I also find it extremely frustrating that there is a constant requirement to want to get in former players to take these positions for roles they have no experience to do. Manchester united should be going out there and filling positions with people who are the best in their field, so the technical directors and football directors MUST be the best in the world and pay what it takes to get these guys in, also get rid of the shit, i didnt realise until G.Neville said the other day that there are people from Moyes/LVG/Jose era still working at the club, not just in coaching but scouting as well............get shot because there are clearly epople doing these roles with completely different views on what type of player is needed. i dont know how much sense any of this rant made but just frustrated with the state of things at one of the biggest sporting clubs in the world.

Thanks
    Karma Level

being an oldie I remember when Sir Matt Busby retired, this just looks like history repeating its self.
    Sir Matt retired but kept coming to games, Utd kept changing the manager, won a few FA cups, got relegated, and had to wait until a few seasons in to Sir Alex reign before they got back to the top.
    with the money they have they won't get relegated, but with the money they have will they give a manager the time he needs ?

Social Networking Bookmarks