Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Labour pledges 10 minimum wage for under-18s

Labour pledges 10 minimum wage for under-18s

Labour will extend its plans for a higher 10-an-hour minimum wage to include workers under the age of 18, party leader Jeremy Corbyn has said.

Currently, under-18s are entitled to a minimum wage of 4.35 per hour, compared with 8.21 for over-25s.
    But under a Labour government this "youth rate" for the minimum wage would be ended in 2020, Mr Corbyn said.
    One business group said there was value in having the minimum wage set by an independent group, as it is now.
    Mr Corbyn had [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] - a legally binding hourly rate for workers aged 25 and over - to 10 an hour next year, if Labour gained power.
    He said Labour's proposal would see workers aged 16 and 17 paid about 2,500 more a year.

Image copyrightGETTY IMAGESImage captionMr Corbyn said that young people's work "should be properly valued"It is not clear how the proposed changes would impact those on apprenticeship schemes.

All UK pupils can leave school at the age of 16.

But in England, under-18s must then stay in full-time education, start an apprenticeship or traineeship or spend 20 hours or more a week working or volunteering, while in part-time education or training.

• [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Speaking at a party gathering in Birmingham on Saturday, Mr Corbyn said: "Equal pay for equal work is hardly a controversial idea, so why are we discriminating against young people?
    "You don't get a discount at the shops for being under 18.
    "But if the person serving you on the other side of the counter is young, they could be on half the wage of their colleagues.
    "It's time to end this discrimination. Young people's work should be properly valued, not exploited by employers to cut their wage bill. If they're doing the job, pay them the wage - the real living wage."
    The rates are reviewed each year by the government which is advised by the independent Low Pay Commission.
    The commission, made up of trade unionists, businesspeople and academics, has previously said different minimum wages have been set for different age groups due to "evidence that younger workers are more at risk of being priced out of jobs than older workers, with worse consequences if they end up unemployed."

Minimum wage rates from April 2019

• 25 and over: 8.21
    • 21-24: 7.70
    • 18-20: 6.15
    • Under-18: 4.35
    • Apprentice: 3.90

Paul Johnson, director of the Institute for Fiscal Studies, said the proposals were "dramatic" and that they could risk reducing the number of 16 and 17-year-olds in work.
    That age group would not have much experience and were probably not going to be as productive as more experienced workers, he told Radio 4's Today programme.
    He added that a lot would be working part time - at the weekends or in the holidays - and that experience would be valuable to them and could include training.

Labour said it would use fiscal savings from a reduction in the amount that the Treasury pays out in in-work benefits to provide support for small and medium-sized businesses.

Peter Dowd, shadow chief secretary to the Treasury, said the plans aimed to create fairness, claiming that spending on tax credits to top up low wages had "ballooned" from 1bn to 30bn - a sign wages had to rise.
    "We've got to have a system that reflects the needs of small businesses, but also has to reflect the needs of the people they employ, whether they are 16 or 60," he said.
    Mr Johnson added that any compensation scheme would "need to be very clear, transparent and easy."

Responding to Labour's proposals, the Institute of Directors said there was value in having an independent, evidence-based approach from the Low Pay Commission.

"Politicians directly setting rates will always risk not taking full account of the implications for employers and jobs," the business lobby group said.

The UK's working 16-17 year olds in numbers

• There were an estimated 1.35 million 16 to 17-year-olds in the UK at the end of last year
    • Of those, 6% (81,000) were solely in employment
    • 5% (71,000) were neither in work nor education
    • For those not in full-time education, the employment rate of this group has fallen from 65% in 1993 to 44% in 2018

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ]Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Labour pledges 10 minimum wage for under-18s

This is great for the youngsters but isnt it just a good way to try and get more young voters who have no idea about the history of politics...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by RaMx View Post
    This is great for the youngsters but isnt it just a good way to try and get more young voters who have no idea about the history of politics...
    That's one way of looking at it ,but if you can marry and have kids at 16 or join the army, when is an adult an adult ?

I always thought it was at 18 but voting age is 16 so why should there be different classes of adult ?

Minimum wage rates from April 2019

• 25 and over: 8.21
    • 21-24: 7.70
    • 18-20: 6.15
    • Under-18: 4.35
    • Apprentice: 3.90
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ]Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

@ 16-18 I was earning 35 per week on YTS I had a son at 17 and had to insure my motorbike and pay for fuel and then my rent and food and utility bills.
    it was only 1993 so not that long ago and yet people think they have it hard now.

Then went onto working for an agency company @ 5.50 ph and wow what a difference I was living the high life then.
    Instagram and twitter @mrteajunkie.

Thanks
    Karma Level

On that basis why should there be a different rate for over 25's or apprentices? A lot of school leavers will be trainees as they have zero experience but not on a formal apprenticeship scheme.

Seems a great way to gain more labour voters which will probably have to be tax payer subsidised or just lead to more youth unemployment.

Thanks to hoponbaby

Rick Sanchez (13th May 2019) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by hoponbaby View Post

Seems a great way to gain more labour voters which will probably have to be tax payer subsidised or just lead to more youth unemployment.
    Low pay is already tax payer subsidised, in the form of tax credits. At least this way the money is coming from the same place it's made, execs pay rise be damned.

There is an argument that this will make it difficult for small businesses, but my argument would be if you can't afford to pay people a decent wage then perhaps you need to think more about your business model.

2 Thanks given to Ganty

4me2 (12th May 2019), mij (24th May 2019) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

This is absolutely the right thing to do. How can it not be? Two separate people potentially doing the same job, but one being paid less due to a protected characteristic under the Equality Act.

People go loopy due to the (practically non-existent) pay gap between men and women. Why not in this instance, where there is an actual, unequivocal pay gap?

Yet another sensible Labour policy that the MSM won't like as it's too sensible and good for regular people.

Thanks to flumperino

4me2 (12th May 2019) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Problem is, i can't see Labour ever forming a government, not in the near future anyway, it's pretty much nailed on the next election will result in another hung parliament.

Thanks
    Karma Level

There will be exemptions for proper recognised apprenticeships and other trainee programs I would have thought. But if a 16 year old is loading boxes at the same rate as his older workmates then he/she should get the same cash.....
    The same "it will cost jobs" brigade are the same ones who tell us if you raise min wage by more than a penny then the country will go bust. They are looking after their own interests and rightly so - I'm sure we expect nothing else. The Sunday times rich list might look a bit different though lol.

Thanks to DavidF

4me2 (12th May 2019) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

If min wage is 10.hr - I'd assume they'd remove working tax credits etc...

In the end, it won't matter as prices will rise to absorb the cost.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I dunno, if i was an employer and 18 year old me is being interviewed next to 22 year old me, I know which I'd choose if they're both the same price.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Thanks
    Karma Level

Can set the minimum wage to 10, 20, 50 whatever you like. Everything else will increase to compensate or businesses will just shut., that 10 meal you've just had in the pub, sorry our 16 year old glass collectors just had her wages doubled so it's now 12. Also as she can now earn that the bar staff who have added responsibility of course have also had a rise up to 12 an hour so that beer will cost 5 please....

There are also a lot of jobs where there is no formal training or apprenticeship just a case of experience and learning the role. I have no problem with equal pay as long as they have equal ability, age, sex is irrelevant.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Should be related to IQ. Plenty of fuckers in the country wouldn’t make three quid an hour.

2 Thanks given to BertRoot

4me2 (13th May 2019), akimba (14th May 2019) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Bring back conscription 2 years served from 16 unless they have achieved grades for college.
    They learn some real values and come out men ready to face the world, not dole sponging retards who are coming out of school who cant be arsed getting a job.

Social Networking Bookmarks