Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Booking an International Flight

It's been 5 years or so, since I booked an international flight. I'm planning on travelling from Manchester to Bahrain and then a week later, a return flight from Dubai to Manchester (or Heathrow).

I see many flight comparison websites, all overring one way or return flights etc.

I've a few questions if we have any frequent flyers:

* Is it worthwhile booking a return to and from same locations and then a seperate connecting flight( Dubai to Bahrain for example as a return flight on its own?)

* How can I ensure that I'm getting the best flight prices and times using each of the website, when there are so many airlines and travel sites to use?

* Where do I get the option to see what upgrade I have (such as extra leg room etc) as this is a must, so each airline may charge differnt prices but I won't get to know this once I've bought the basic flight - how do I get around it?

* What other tips to people have for getting the best deal?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Booking an International Flight

I not sure about all the leg room questions etc butLastminute.com to do a MULTICITY booking so it doesnt have to be a straight return can sort out all 3 flights in 1 hit ;-)

Thanks to akimba

BigBrand (4th June 2019) 

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Depending when you’re flying, it can be a stressful soul destroying exercise. I tend to go away over Christmas as that’s my time off work and prices are always high, been looking for some decent flights on and off for months now and most occasions when I found a really good fare on a search site it was not available to buy when I clicked it.

I think Gulf Air fly to Bahrain and they are coming up a lot in my searches to Manila as the cheapest so I reckon you’ll find a bargain there. As Akimba said, use the multi city and you can add as many flights as you want, I’ve found this to always be cheaper than booking all single flights.

If you go to Google Flights you can get an idea of prices across a whole month to help you pick the cheapest days then search those days in skyscanner and momondo, I don’t really use kayak but they have a feature where they say if it’s a good price or not although other sites say this is pretty rubbish.

Not sure about upgrades, they may allow you to add at checkout or after you have the ticket, there may also be an option on the search sites in the filters.

Thanks to evilsatan

BigBrand (5th June 2019) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

I take several (European) flights a month and use in order, Skyscanner and Kayak.

I have the apps but they are far easier with more options to use in a desktop browser.

For hotels I use trivargo and the booking.com app only because trivargo doesn't know about booking genius discount and if the best option is booking.com i get a further discount using the app.

I also have a dragon lounge pass which provides access for a fixed fee of 15 per person.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I use most of the above, but also use hotwire and a vpn and check dollar prices of hotels. In May in Florida I paid the same in dollars as sterling comparing all other sites. So a 29% discount

Thanks to stevo25

BigBrand (5th June 2019) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thans chaps, wasn't aware of the Multicity event, of which I have now found, which makes things easier.

Also VPN is an interesting one, had never thought of that.

Flying early September for a week, have found that going direct on Emirates site, I can get similar price to that on Trivago, Google, Expedia, and it allows me to pick seast and pay for legroom prior to actually buying, so I need to do some homework I think on collecting seat prices.

That Seat GURU website I've found is fucking brilliant though!

Social Networking Bookmarks