Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Passwords on work PC

Quote Originally Posted by reverend View Post
    It'll just have been a password audit against AD - a lot of companies do these nowadays (all should).

As has been mentioned the passwords aren't stored in plain text, everything is hashed. You take a list of basic passwords which you think users may be using, add that onto something like the Rockyou wordlist and then see which users have passwords which match by generating the hashes for the passwords in your list then comparing those against all users in AD.

I've done this in many companies now and it's surprising how many people use stupidly simple passwords which are low hanging fruit when someone is trying to hack in.
    Are the hashes in AD not salted ?

EDIT: I see there not.. What a joke...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by reverend View Post
    It'll just have been a password audit against AD - a lot of companies do these nowadays (all should).

As has been mentioned the passwords aren't stored in plain text, everything is hashed. You take a list of basic passwords which you think users may be using, add that onto something like the Rockyou wordlist and then see which users have passwords which match by generating the hashes for the passwords in your list then comparing those against all users in AD.

I've done this in many companies now and it's surprising how many people use stupidly simple passwords which are low hanging fruit when someone is trying to hack in.
    Great answer thanks. It's a shame my IT dept hadn't explained this and I would have been satisfied.

By the way what is AD?
    I understand and accept that some people hold opinions that are different to my own. Living in a free and democratic society, I fully embrace and respect their right to be wrong.

Thanks
    Karma Level

AD = Active Directory
    Copied from one of my books!!
    Active Directory isMicrosoft's Directory Server. It provides authentication and authorization mechanisms as well as a framework within which other related services can be deployed (AD Certificate Services, AD Federated Services, etc). It is an LDAP compliant database that contains objects.

Thanks to dibbler

Argyll (23rd June 2019) 

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Company I work for uses some software called snow to monitor what's going on. I used to delete logs occasionally but only as an experiment. Can still do that but I'm not concerned about monitoring other than them being nosey bastards.

Anyone have experience of this snow software?
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

As already said, I doubt they know or can see your password.

It is however easy to run audits against AD to check password strength, but some might say it's even easy to use GPO to actually force a proper password policy.

What is more likely is some idiot as got their password on a post it note stuck to their screen.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Guns don't kill people rappers do, I'm a fucking rapper and I might kill you.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Argyll View Post
    Yes but they've gone quiet 😏
    Change your password to 'NoseyITCuntz01' and see if you get a response.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ]Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    Change your password to 'NoseyITCuntz01' and see if you get a response.
    now i would post it is pointless THEY CAN NOT SEE THE PASSWORD !!!! but that would be pointless as it has been said many times before :-)

but just out of interest your Time to crack your password: ( From [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] )
    16 years

Review: Fantastic, using that password makes you as secure as Fort Knox.

So it would not get picked up in a audit and the IT team would be happy the passsword is secure. they would not contact the user.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Social Networking Bookmarks