Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Rant Contact lens woes

Twice this week I have been to supposed teaching sessions to fit contacts lenses.
    In short I can't fucking do it, am I the only one ? I'm fucking fuming and can't believe that I'm really too stupid to do it.

Is there an easy way or a tool/applicator that would work ?

The more people I talk to seem to be in the same situation as me and I really am having trouble getting my head around how people do it.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ]Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Contact lens woes

I was the same when I went for my session for fitting - as soon as the lens got anywhere near my eyeball I couldn't help my eyelids violently closing shut.

After something like about 20-30 mins of the optician trying he was starting to get annoyed with me and told me off, if I wouldn't let him fit the lens I could never wear them. After many struggles he eventually got a pair in and asked me to try wearing them for a little bit (I think about 30 mins). My eyes were in agony but I just about managed to survive.

When I had to start doing it myself, I had to get up something like 30-60 mins early as it took me that long trying again and again to get the lenses in and my eyes would be hurting for another 30-60 mins until they would settle down, but I gradually got better at it eventually (can't remember exactly how long it took me as this was I think 13 years ago).

Gradually my eyes have become less and less sensitive, these days I can easily put in my lenses on first attempt without using a mirror, and even if my hands/lenses are a tiny bit dirty my eyes don't sting (although I know it's important to keep them clean).

Tiny tip (I've only tried this using specsavers solution for soft lenses), if I don't succeed on the first attempt or two, I will wash out the lens to get rid of any dirt, and to lubricate the lens. Also when I started wearing lenses, if I had been smoking prior to putting in the lens my eyes would sting for quite a while. Doesn't happen these days, but used to be a major consideration when I started wearing lenses. Also if I get dry eyes, instead of using expensive eye drops, I just use a little contact lens solution - my thought being that it's mainly sterile water with extra stuff to lubricate and sterilise so I doubt there's any issue doing this. When I wore monthly lenses, I found that I normally would get 3 bottles of solution with 3 months lenses, but I would never use all the solution so instead of paying for expensive eye drops, I could just use solution I already had.

Also another tip - I get my lenses from Daysoft. About 13 to get a month worth of daily disposables delivered to my door. I decided to wear dailies after I had a couple of eye infections years ago (caused by sleeping with monthly lenses overnight). Since then, haven't had any eye infections.

Another little thing - when I started with the specsavers monthly lenses, I couldn't tell the difference by looking at the lens if it had turned inside out or not. These days I can tell just by looking at the lens, and I can definitely notice the lens is uncomfortable if the lens is inside out. Unfortunately I can't say whether I have gradually learnt the ability to spot that the lens is inside out, or whether the difference is more visible with different lenses.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 22nd June 2019 at 01:45 PM.

Thanks to Over Carl

4me2 (25th June 2019) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Mate I can’t do them either!
    I tried a few times and ended up bloodshot eyes and almost blind.
    I was in specsavers and the optician ended up being called out to remove them as I couldn’t get them out neither could the staff member showing me how to do it!

I was advised to continue wearing glasses
    Instagram and twitter @mrteajunkie.

Thanks to Teajunkie

4me2 (25th June 2019) 

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Stick to glasses I do
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Thanks to Mickey

4me2 (25th June 2019) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

I had to have lens replacement surgery and a tweak of laser due to cataracts 2 years ago.
    Best thing I ever did

Sent from my Philips Diga via BT Cellnet
    Just use enough water to cover your vegetables,the same goes for when you're having a bath....

Thanks
    Karma Level

How much
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ]Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Different makes of lenses can be easier/harder if you aren't used to them as they have different rigidity so if you're struggling with them rolling up on your finger try a different one.

Only tool you should need is your fingers, way I was initially told (28 years ago) - lens on index finger, middle finger to pull lower lid down, middle finger on other hand to hold eyelid up look up and push lens on to the white of your eye.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    How much

Sent from my Philips Diga via BT Cellnet
    Just use enough water to cover your vegetables,the same goes for when you're having a bath....

Thanks
    Karma Level

Use to take me an hour to get mine in, my eyes were so red and puffy i looked like I'd been watching the film the champ.

My way of doing it is to balance the lens on my index finger and hold my lids open with the other, then gently put the lense in. Then slowly blink till it centres itself.

If yo haven't done it with in a few goes, walkaway and give it ten minutes. Saves the frustration and also gives the eye to adjust back before you do it again.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    Stick to glasses I do
    Same as that. And tbh they don’t bother me. Tried contacts at several points of my life and could get on with any type of them.

Until recently when it’s clear age is fucking up my sight. I sometimes have to take them off to see things close up.

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

I found it easy when I started wearing contacts, index finger and thumb to open the eyelids then look down place the lens on your eye then look up.

That said I've moved back to glasses now after getting a ulcer on my eye, which was not over the pupil thank fuck or id be partially blind now.
    The hospital asked how long I'd been wearing contacts was 7 years at the time and said "and this is the first ulcer you have had?" with a surprised look when I said yes.

That was it for me moved back to glasses, just wear contacts now on holiday and when doing airsoft so I can wear goggles.

Social Networking Bookmarks