Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Advice Old but not yet out.....

Hello there! The last forum I joined was a very, very long time ago - just after I got rid of my 486 stack and decided to upgrade to one with a real Pentium processor! Yep, that long ago. I miss those days. Computers were the domain of a selected few who could actually be bothered to learn D.O.S. The internet was ad-free and business-free. Big business had not yet caught on to the potential of the internet. The only company I recall having a presence was Sony, who had a one page website which contained a list of their telephone numbers! How bloody weird is that? Seeing a simple line graphic of a tree was something to write home about.... I was a girl who loved computers and I still do. Anyway, I digress. I'm looking for some help and advice. I need to access personal information about someone - address, relatives, movements, cohabitees etc. This is not required for any malicious purpose. I gave up assassination as a hobby years ago. It's for personal reasons. Having exhausted virtually every website offering free 14 day trials to search public records, I'm at an impasse. I think I pushed my luck with the number of free trials I signed up for and then cancelled. I have an old Info Disk from 2000, but I know the last version issued was in 2009. Can't seem to find a download for that either. Has any one got any suggestions as to how I might access the UK electoral registers without charge, or a better way to gather this sort of information? It's not that I'm too tight to pay subscription fees, but I have found that some sites actually don't supply what they claim to. Also, the price seems to increase exponentially as you search - 192.com won't actually inform potential customers how many credits a simple search costs. I don't like this type of practice. These are public records and at one time you could freely search them on line with no hassle. So, am I missing something here? I'd be grateful for any inside info which might help me to search public records such as electoral rolls or any resources I might not have thought of. All help gratefully received!

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Old but not yet out.....

Best help I could have given you was to read your welcome registration message and the DF Rules
    and also had a peek at other intros to see what people got banned for not following them said rules

you my friend have done neither

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    Welcome to Digital Forums.

Forum etiquette is quite high on the list here, like in real life you treat others with respect and you equally get it back. Contributing to the threads with good constructive posts gets you noticed for all the good reasons. Digging up old threads and the one word posts/replies to threads gets you marked as a post booster; this is not the best way to get you going on DF. With time your post count will go up and you will have full use of the forum. This has been put in place to stop Spammers, Leechers and generally1 post users that want something for nothing, they try and get it and go.

Digital forums has been going for years and has a large fan base. Some actually pay for the privilege and they get bonuses over non sub people. With time you will build up friends and likewise you will be seen here as someone that can contribute to the DF Community.

Enjoy your stay
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    Best help I could have given you was to read your welcome registration message and the DF Rules
    and also had a peek at other intros to see what people got banned for not following them said rules

you my friend have done neither
    I thank you for your response. I'm not adverse to being put in my place and I sincerely apologise for infringement of rules and etiquette. You are absolutely right. I should have taken the time to read through the forum requirements before posting and I admit I failed to do so. I will now go back and scour them thoroughly. In the meantime I'm happy to remove the latter half of my introduction, from the first smiley onwards, which is clearly unsuitable for an introduction. So I will read on and see if that is possible and then leave it at that and learn from my mistake.

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

No keep it as is, enjoy the boards and join in the banter

welcome to DF

Thanks to Mickey

Gee Pee (1 Week Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd like to submit a more suitable introduction to everyone at Digital-forums. The last forum I joined was a very, very long time ago - just after I got rid of my 486 stack and decided to upgrade to one with a real Pentium processor! Yep, that long ago. I miss those days. Computers were the domain of a selected few who could actually be bothered to learn D.O.S. The internet was ad-free and business-free. Big business had not yet caught on to the potential of the internet. The only company I recall having a presence was Sony, who had a one page website which contained a list of their telephone numbers! How bloody weird is that? Seeing a simple line graphic of a tree was something to write home about.... I was a girl who loved computers and I still do. I'm a retired nursing sister who specialized in pediatric stoma care. I suspect no one has a clue what that is! It means I cared for kids who had colostomies and ileostomies. I loved my job. It was both rewarding and heartbreaking, but the success outweighed the tragedy. I have been a female Freemason for many years in an esoteric lodge in the UK. If anyone is interested in knowing more about this, just ask. I also help by working voluntarily with the families of alcoholics. Living with an alcoholic is too much for most of us who have experienced it. But there is help out there and I would be happy to pass on what I know and offer whatever support I can. Thanks for listening.

Thanks
    Karma Level

You can access the current and historic electoral rolls by signing up for a trial here and cancelling before 14 days

Spoiler:

192.com provide the data to them..

then

Thanks to JonEp

Gee Pee (1 Week Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi JonEp. Many thanks for the information. I am an adopted child from the 50's, and having located a sister I didn't even know I had, I'm now attempting the almost hopeless task of trying to locate an adopted older brother, who doesn't even know he has two sisters. so searching public records with such limited information is very intensive and time-consuming. I have to try and put pieces of the puzzle together as I uncover little snippets of potential information. I have to admit I've done quite a few free trials with several companies and I've probably pushed my luck and done this too many times. Most of them won't now let me do any more free trials - which is fair enough. I am quite willing to subscribe to one of them, and I should have kept more accurate records of which sites were the best for my purpose. I found some sites had masses of US info, but more limited UK records. I believe findmypast was one of the better ones, so I will retrace my steps and subscribe to one that best suits my purpose. It's going to be an ongoing project, so subscribing seems to be the most sensible solution. Many thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi Gee Pee,

Have you considered a DNA test to find relatives using ancestry or similar?

My family tree is a little bit complex, maybe sparse is a better word. Anyway I used the ancestry DNA test as a bit of fun with my mates, we were having a laugh about the one percent elements that came back in the results. However the potential relative matches were apparently very good indeed. I checked these with my mum and she told me information about how we're related to them.

My best mate did one, and his brother. They were able to identify their grandfather on their mothers side. A complex story that's best left private, I'll say he was a wealthy individual but wasn't involved in her upbringing or indeed didn't have any form of contact.

It's maybe another option for you to consider. Good luck.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gee Pee View Post
    I'm a retired nursing sister who specialized in pediatric stoma care. I suspect no one has a clue what that is! It means I cared for kids who had colostomies and ileostomies.
    Its a shit business

Spoiler:

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Wow, loads of waffle to sift through on this thread... My god!

However, gaining said information freely has become a lot harder recently since the introduction of GDPR and the 'Right to be Forgotten' came into force.

In a way, I'm glad of this development due to my unique real name being used in full in the press years ago in a negitive impact that was still published online having a serious impact going into my adult life. Especially when applying for employ and knowing prospective employers would Google my name and be informed on some of the stupid (nothing serious) things I got up to as a kid!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Social Networking Bookmarks