Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default 4G Home Broadband 18.75 via Smarty

I'm thinking of trying out 4G broadband for my household needs, TV and streaming plus music and the very occasional large download.

On HotUKDeals there's an unlimited data calls and texts SIM only monthly deal from smarty which uses the three network. I'm on three for my personal mobile and have run a speed test earlier today, it's faster than my Virgin broadband (tested over wi-fi).

I think that this is worthwhile investigating. I've recently moved house and brought my Virgin modem with me and haven't cancelled yet, I still own the other property. So I think I'm in a good position to try the 4G one as an alternative. If I buy one of the lower end 4G routers for about 40 then the payback period will be two months compared with what I'm paying Virgin. If I go for one of the better model routers giving potentially higher speeds at about 100 then it's five months simple payback period.

The question is how good are they as a replacement for wired internet services? I still use card sharing and that's probably the only thing that has the potential to be affected by latency. I don't play games often enough for that to influence my decision. I do use the firestick to watch Amazon content in formats up to 4k.

Has anyone used 4G services as a complete replacement for cabled broadband replacement? I'd be interested to know how useful you found it to be on a day to day basis.

I have used mobile access points in site cabins but that wasn't in any sort of heavy data usage.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: 4G Home Broadband 18.75 via Smarty

For what is worth I've ordered this and a Huawei B525 router, I'll report my findings here if it's of interest.

Thanks to beansontoast

BigBrand (3 Weeks Ago) 

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Let me know how it goes.

I've been thinking of doing this myself as Mobile broadband is far quicker in my area than the landline copper wire Fibre that TalkTalk is providing me and I'm due for a renewal in November.

Things I've read so far, although not a massive deal breaker is that 4G Broadband modems cannot support port forwarding yet and the PS Network only supports NAT 3 on Mobile Networks that causes issues when downloading updates.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Must stop doing these speed tests because they hammer my limited mobile data but this is what I get sat on my sofa in the middle of a workday. If the new service matches this I'll be very happy indeed.

Thanks to beansontoast

DejaVu (3 Weeks Ago) 

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Ive just had this link from Three (I use them for mobile)
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I'm wondering if I can hook up their modem to my Asus AC1900??
    Just use enough water to cover your vegetables,the same goes for when you're having a bath....

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The SIM arrived yesterday I'm only waiting for the router now.

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

5g from 3 tests by the BBC

2 Thanks given to Mickey

4me2 (3 Weeks Ago), BigBrand (3 Weeks Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Out of interest Mickey, why do you still have your speed test results as your signature from over 10 years ago?

Thanks to BigBrand

Mickey (3 Weeks Ago) 

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Cos they rocked then matey

I remember sat in my office at work one Early morning when all the other Council colleagues were having a good time, so I thought id try the speed test. my upload at that time was unbelievable. I had most of the backbone broadband into Leeds from the Corporate mainframe. Now its like lmao nice uploads bit your downloads stinx

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ha! Fair point, not far off what most have now on basic fibre in 2019!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Got 64 down and 25 up with it on the bottom shelf of the glass TV stand, back of the router pointing to a wall and perpendicular to where the mast is. Happy with that. Will try another location tomorrow, it's gallon smashing night.

Thanks to beansontoast

BigBrand (2 Weeks Ago) 

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Any further information to share with this? Use a PS4 on it or perhaps a Plex Server serving remotely?
    I've a day and half to decide to go down this route (Smarty Deal) and because of the area I live in (shit connection) I'm seriously considering it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm guessing the most relevant things to consider if wanting to use this to remotely access a server are:

1. Does the connection use NAT (or CG-NAT). If so it will probably be impossible to remotely connect.

2. Does the service give you a fixed IP address? If so this makes life easier, but even with a dynamic IP, should be able to use a dynamic DNS service to work around this.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

My server is setup for dynamic and even points to it via a domain name I've setup.

Using conventional routers is fine, but I've heard port forwarding, NAT and/or Double NAT can cause issues.

Outlined a little here, but looks like the thread got confused and went all over the place - [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes apologies for the lack of feedback it's got something to do with a booze up, fitting new garden fence panels, a wedding reception, a Christening, going to the football and hanging out my arse Monday then having a fourteen hour day today with 320 miles of driving.

I've not done any specific testing if there's anything in particular I'll try to oblige.

That settings page help with static or dynamic IP address?

Very pleased with the speed.

I'll swap over the firestick to the new WiFi credentials and try to stretch its legs a bit.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Playing Good Omens in 4k started straight away, no different to virgin at more than twice the price.

Note that with the smarty offer you get the SIM in two days but you must activate it before something like September the third. Definitely check your local mobile mast map to estimate how strong your signal might be.

There has been a more recent three offer with a newer router than mine, possibly has a couple of features locked, two year contract for best price and no up front cost. Alternatively there are shorter durations down to a rolling month but with a higher up front cost, although the up front cost is lower than the price I paid for the B525 router.

Thanks to beansontoast

DejaVu (2 Weeks Ago) 

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

On the smarty activation you don't need it in the router or a mobile device you activate it on the website. What this does is marks the start date of the recurring month. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks to beansontoast

DejaVu (2 Weeks Ago) 

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Also that episode of good omens was 6GB. The Huawei router app keeps a running total of the data used, you can set a cap if there was one to set.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

My plan is use a simple 4G router (not sure which yet) just to receive the internet and pass it through to my Netgear Nighthawk to do the rest of the work. Although I know that the speed will definitely improve (my son's Three contract S8 gets 70mb/20mb) it's the not knowing what other obstacles I'll come up against.

Looks like I'll have to see how I get on because I've ordered a Smarty SIM I'll activate in my phone to start with and order a 4G router on Friday (Pay Day).

I've already called TalkTalk to cancel my contract that expires 28th September. Gives me a month to work out what I can and can't do with it.

I'll report back anything that doesn't work and of course, seek help to solve anything I come up against I can't handle.

I've tried setting up my PS4 to the internet tethered from my phone and although it logs in, accesses PSN, it uses 'NAT 3 (Strict)' that causes problems downloading 'Squad updates' on FIFA.

Reading a bit more into it, apparently this is NOT a problem with Three's network and allows a NAT 2 connection, but is evident when using Vodafone, EE & O2.

Thanks to DejaVu

beansontoast (2 Weeks Ago) 

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Did some other testing last night. Adult sites are blocked unless you use a VPN such as the one built in to opera.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Social Networking Bookmarks