Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: 4G Home Broadband 18.75 via Smarty

Quote Originally Posted by beansontoast View Post
    Did some other testing last night. Adult sites are blocked unless you use a VPN such as the one built in to opera.
    Fapping you mean?

Can't you as the account holder just call up and request access to adult content?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrand View Post
    Fapping you mean?

Can't you as the account holder just call up and request access to adult content?
    Been a long weekend pal.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks to beansontoast

BigBrand (28th August 2019) 

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm all set-up now with Smarty via my new Netgear R7100LG and although Three's network manages to achieve 70Mb in my area (one of the fastest), it seems Smarty is pegged at 22Mb, it's stable with a decent ping, but will never go above.

Checking statistics, if you're getting 65Mb compared to what is advertised, you're doing really well.
    I might see how I get on with it for a month and may re-evaluate. When my son comes home, I'll give his SIM that's with Three a whirl in the router.

Things I've found regarding small print with Smarty
    Our Unlimited plan is the only 1-month tariff available that’s open to everyone and has no speed restrictions (unlike another plan out there). Tethering and personal hotspot use is also included as standard on the plan.
    We have set a usage cap at 1,000GB. When tested, using a mobile for every minute of every day only used around 1,000GB in a month. Setting this cap helps us to identify any commercial use of our services, which is not permitted by our terms and conditions. When travelling in the EU, customers will be subject to our fair use limit of 19GB each month.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

My fibre connection with all my devices connected uses between 800Gb and 1,500Gb per month, so I assume I'm likely to get a couple of warnings, but I'll see how it goes. I'm under no contract so jumping ship isn't a problem.

with
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

For the record, my Plex is connected to this and is functioning perfectly and way better than it was on what TalkTalk passed for Fibre broandband. No issues with Double NAT or the need of VPN.

I've lifted the Adult Restrictions on my SIM and no need to use a VPN - [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

This will probably kick them in the bollox regarding the usage limits off 1,000Gb though. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Considering this... (apparently).

Last edited by DejaVu; 2nd September 2019 at 09:02 PM.

2 Thanks given to DejaVu

beansontoast (2nd September 2019), Over Carl (16th October 2019) 

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Been using this for a couple of weeks and the unlimited deal is still available.

They are using a CGNAT setup which is awkward to work around for Port Forwarding. I'm trying to find a free work around without the need for a paid VPN. I'm even trying to VPN to a friend's Virginmedia connection (300Mb) which is not as some as it sounds.

I've also found their 4G connection is not as solid as the 3G and have reverted to using 3G for a reliable 20Mb connection. Using 4G only gives me 5Mb download.

On the whole, I'm pleased, but need to get my port forwarding sorted.
    I think the solution is to get port 80 pointing towards my OpenVPN/Portmap.io/DSNExit accounts, but it feels a little above my pay grade if anyone is able to put their 2 pence in!!?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Edit: usage was just over 1TB last month which is low for my house, but speed didn't seem to get effected.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DejaVu; 13th October 2019 at 06:10 PM.

2 Thanks given to DejaVu

BigBrand (13th October 2019), Over Carl (16th October 2019) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

You won't get port forwarding working using CG-NAT. Problem is as well as configuring port forwarding on your router, you would also need to configure port forwarding on the ISP's router which obviously isn't going to happen.

It might be possible with a VPN, haven't played with that configuration myself.

Edit: Thinking about this all, something isn't adding up. I haven't used 3 myself for a few years, but I'm sure I've read that 3 is only of the only networks that give out proper IP addresses instead of using NAT / CG-NAT, and I'm sure I've read in a lot of places that 3 is often the best network for data.

I'm wondering if as much as Smarty is using the 3 network, 3 may be providing an inferior service to Smarty customers (much like Giff Gaff customers are using the O2 network but get lower priority).

Edit 2; I'm not sure if you will be able to get port forwarding to work with VPN either. Thinking about this, you would either need a fixed IP or dynamic DNS service for remote end of the VPN, then you would need to set up port forwarding from there to you - i.e. to set up port forwarding on one of the VPN provider's routers.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 14th October 2019 at 12:36 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just wondering, do torrents work ok using one of these?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over Carl View Post
    Just wondering, do torrents work ok using one of these?
    I'll try when I get home, currently abroad. I can't see why not in fact it should be better to seed compared with virgin shitty upload speeds.

Thanks to beansontoast

Over Carl (14th October 2019) 

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Works here

Thanks to DejaVu

Over Carl (14th October 2019) 

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post
    Works here

QED. Cheers.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I take this back. The first month I was with Smarty, all was well with auto-download setup.
    It has now since stopped working, including access to my Usenet provider.

In light of this, I'll be switching to another provider from next month and cancelling with Smarty.
    Unlimited is fine for Netflix, Youtube etc, but if I cannot use it for what I want, I'm no longer interested.

I've also had a real hard time sorting out whether port forwarding is an option (appears not) so I'm jumping ship.

I'm considering Three's offering of Home 5G broadband, but will be asking lots of questions before I sign to a 12 month contract with them. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

EDIT:
    Just got off the phone with Three and have been told with Three you get fixed IP Addresses.
    The girl on the phone was confused to what I was referring and had to ask another colleague.

I'm now wondering if that's a Fixed IP Internet Address or a Fixed IP Internal Router Address... behind the CGNAT.
    I mentioned Carrier Grade NAT to this young girl who had no idea what I was talking about and Port Forwarding... I might has well have been speaking in Chinese.

Anyone know anyone that works at Three that can confirm whether their Home Broandband offering is subject to being behind CGNAT? I'm starting to think any Mobile Network is going to be subject to a network address leading through to an exposed IP address.
    Last edited by DejaVu; 16th October 2019 at 11:55 AM.

Thanks to DejaVu

ss30 (16th October 2019) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

I take this back. The first month I was with Smarty, all was well with auto-download setup.
    It has now since stopped working, including access to my Usenet provider.

In light of this, I'll be switching to another provider from next month and cancelling with Smarty.
    Unlimited is fine for Netflix, Youtube etc, but if I cannot use it for what I want, I'm no longer interested.

I've also had a real hard time sorting out whether port forwarding is an option (appears not) so I'm jumping ship.

I'm considering Three's offering of Home 5G broadband, but will be asking lots of questions before I sign to a 12 month contract with them. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

EDIT:
    Just got off the phone with Three and have been told with Three you get fixed IP Addresses.
    The girl on the phone was confused to what I was referring and had to ask another colleague.

I'm now wondering if that's a Fixed IP Internet Address or a Fixed IP Internal Router Address... behind the CGNAT.
    I mentioned Carrier Grade NAT to this young girl who had no idea what I was talking about and Port Forwarding... I might has well have been speaking in Chinese.

Anyone know anyone that works at Three that can confirm whether their Home Broandband offering is subject to being behind CGNAT? I'm starting to think any Mobile Network is going to be subject to a network address leading through to an exposed IP address.
    Thanks DejaVu

EDIT:- just reading back through the thread do you think because you hit 1,000gb of usage that's why it stopped working? have you rolled over into a new month and did it reset?

I was going to get this to replace our internet at work as we only get 2.5mb down and .5mb up through the phone line(and it costing us over 19 for it) and as I am with 3 PAYG I did a speed test and got 20mb down and 5mb up. But as it stopped working for you and I do all of my Usenet D/L at work I will give it a miss.
    Last edited by ss30; 16th October 2019 at 02:06 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I just ordered one today. Will have a little play around and will come back to this thread if i find anything interesting.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Oddly, I have since been reset and torrent and NZBs are back working.

However, due to Threes network being up the swanny, it's totally knackered at the moment.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Initial test findings:

All tests done using a Huawei E398

Using the Smarty SIM with three.co.uk as APN, I get a 10.x.x.x IP address (CG-NAT ).
    Using the Smarty SIM with mob.asm.net as APN, I get a 10.x.x.x IP Address (CG-NAT ).
    Using a 3 PAYG SIM with three.co.uk as APN, I get a 10.x.x.x IP address (CG-NAT ).
    Using a Vodafone Business Data SIM, i get a 10.x.x.x IP Address (CG-NAT ).

Thanks to Over Carl

DejaVu (19th October 2019) 

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've got a Virginmedia SIM (EE).
    Will test when I get home.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Oddly, I have since been reset and torrent and NZBs are back working.

However, due to Threes network being up the swanny, it's totally knackered at the moment.

Have you just started a new month/30 days and that's why it's been reset?

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I hadn't started a new month

It seems hit and miss for torrents. Reading up, it's the tracker that connects to other peers, not the port or connection. I suppose that explains that.

Seeding is pointless and uploading will only happen during downloading.

I'm on the fence with this still because I get a lot better speeds, but being behind CGNAT does mess lots of things up.

EE/Virginmedia is also CGNAT enabled.

2 Thanks given to DejaVu

Over Carl (28th October 2019), ss30 (28th October 2019) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Mine seems to be useless at the moment.

I'm using it in a USB dongle only for data. Either it won't connect to network or disconnects very quickly. Same story whether dongle is plugged into PC or router.

Only used just under 200Gb in first month and it just rolled over to my 2nd month when this problem started.

Anyone else having problems or just me?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over Carl View Post
    Mine seems to be useless at the moment.

I'm using it in a USB dongle only for data. Either it won't connect to network or disconnects very quickly. Same story whether dongle is plugged into PC or router.

Only used just under 200Gb in first month and it just rolled over to my 2nd month when this problem started.

Anyone else having problems or just me?
    Have you tried it in a phone?

Thanks to ss30

Over Carl (3 Weeks Ago) 

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I switched to Three in the end and there is a way to get an external IP Address. But speed using this method is slow.

I've also found that the reason I get shocking speeds is the useless 300 router I have. The R7100LG's firmware is terrible and as it has an LTE Modem, Tomato and DD-WRT won't even look at it.

Using the SIM I have using a phone, I hit regular speeds of 80/20mb which is awesome.

Last edited by DejaVu; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:52 PM.

Thanks to DejaVu

Over Carl (3 Weeks Ago) 

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Social Networking Bookmarks