Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Copyright law - had video taking down from youtube

Quick question please!

I love people who have talents - singing, playing a musical instrument etc and so i visit a youtube channel with a guy called Dr K - he visits public pianos, plays and also gets members of the public to join in and uploads the video to his channel.

A recent video was brilliant and a member of the public started singing with him - a few weeks later he pulls the video from his channel. Loads of people asked what was going on but he went radio silence.

I was able to find the video elsewhere and uploaded it to my channel - i have about 4 videos on there and i make no money, i just loved the video.

The next day i get a copyright warning from youtube and the video is pulled from my channel

I know feck all about copyright law, is this correct that a video made in a public place featuring a member of the public is subject to copyright?

Link to vid [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Copyright law - had video taking down from youtube

Quote Originally Posted by ivrytwr3 View Post
    Quick question please!

I love people who have talents - singing, playing a musical instrument etc and so i visit a youtube channel with a guy called Dr K - he visits public pianos, plays and also gets members of the public to join in and uploads the video to his channel.

A recent video was brilliant and a member of the public started singing with him - a few weeks later he pulls the video from his channel. Loads of people asked what was going on but he went radio silence.

I was able to find the video elsewhere and uploaded it to my channel - i have about 4 videos on there and i make no money, i just loved the video.

The next day i get a copyright warning from youtube and the video is pulled from my channel

I know feck all about copyright law, is this correct that a video made in a public place featuring a member of the public is subject to copyright?

Link to vid [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    I can't help with the Copyright issue, but I can say I love Dr K, and Terry Miles.

Makes me want to learn Boogie Woogie myself.

Thanks to BigBrand

ivrytwr3 (2nd September 2019) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Copyright law - had video taking down from youtube

Quote Originally Posted by ivrytwr3 View Post
    Because you are reproducing a copyright material by singing a song someone owns the rights to, the place may have an entertainments licence of which part goes to pay royalties but when you publish it they do not get any royalties, my understanding a copyright owner has the right to either have the video pulled from youtube or allow it to be monetised by copyright owner meaning any advert revenue on the video goes to them. I don't agree with them pulling it but I understand them wanting the revenue, I do not agree with this being done when a copyright material is included in a video as a background unintentional addition such as a recording in a pub with a Jukebox playing or someone recording out in public and a car radio playing in the background some place this happens all the time.

Thanks to Bald Bouncer

ivrytwr3 (2nd September 2019) 

Social Networking Bookmarks