Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Tropical fish...

Hi all...

Anyone in here keep tropical fish? I have a 60litre tank. Its been up and running for about a month now. It has 8 neon tetras in it, and 6 male guppies and 2 female guppies.

The tetras are fine and I haven't lost any. However the guppies are dying off one by one... Lost 4 in total so far in the space of 2 weeks.

I add declorinator with every water change and always ensure my water is at temperature for adding it into my tank. The guppies show no symptoms and see to just die within hours.

Ive did water tests from what I can see its all fine? Apart from the water being a little hard. I though guppies were supposed to be Hardy fish? Hardier than tetras...

Any ideas as to why they keep kicking the bucket?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Tropical fish...

I kept tropical fish about 20 years a go and I stopped buying guppies for this reason ! they were notorious for perishing very quickly and very dificult to keep beyond about two months, they were also prone from attacks from other fish, pretty fish but not very hardy !! It takes time for the good bacteria to build up in your tank, usually a good 2 months at least and when cleanining the tank only remove a third to half of the water and about every month, you only have a small number of fish so will not require very frequent cleans. I used a pump sucker thing to remove the turds from the gravel and a magnet cleaner for the sides.

Thanks to Lestronics

CallmeGoose (2 Weeks Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

I had a 5 year stint at this game. As the family kept calling me the fish murderer then I don't think my advice is what you are after...I really really tried too but gave the lot away in the end...prob about 500 worth...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ffs... Another guppie dead today and had to dispatch of a tetra due to tetra disease

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've had tropical for a couple of years now, started off with 6 minnows as they were supposed to be hardy, 5 of which died over the space of a couple of months. Bought 6 harlequins, again 5 died. The remaining singles of both are still fine 2 years on.

Had various other odd ones - gourami, betta which lasted a while but died and had some guppies, again they died over a few months. Now have about 20 guppies, a pleck and something I can't remember the name of lol. Apart from one guppy which looked like he'd been fighting haven't had any die for 6 months+ had a bunch of babies which have all survived - or been eaten as no remains!

It does take time for the tank to settle down, be careful not to overfeed them, and your ratio of male - female is off as the males will harass the females too much.

Social Networking Bookmarks