Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default 2008 I Mac - Worth buying?

I want to get my daughter an I Mac and I've seen one for £120 from 2008. It's got a dual core processor and 6gb of ram, running Yosemite. Come with wireless keyboard and mouse. I just wondered whether it's worth buying and what problems could I run into? My daughter will probably only use it for homework and browsing the internet, nothing too heavy. Looks to be in good condition.

Thanks

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: 2008 I Mac - Worth buying?

Would you buy an 11 year old TV or PC? A lot of these refurb firms seem to be making a packet from redundant kit because of apples popularity and how expensive it is when new.

The main issue you will have is when support for updates end, I imagine Yosemite is the newest OS it will support so once software developers stop supporting Yosemite you will find those apps can eventually stop working. Skype is a good example of this, an update is required for it to run but that update doesnít support older OS versions.

I imagine you will be fine for web browsers and word processing but with Apple you are paying a premium for the name so why not consider a refurbished Lenovo thinkpad which will be far more modern spec and supports Windows 10 or if you wanted a PC maybe a refurb Dell Optiplex with monitor? I know they donít look as nice as a Mac but my recommendation is function over form.

Thanks to evilsatan

TJB (2 Days Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    I imagine you will be fine for web browsers and word processing but with Apple you are paying a premium for the name so why not consider a refurbished Lenovo thinkpad which will be far more modern spec and supports Windows 10 or if you wanted a PC maybe a refurb Dell Optiplex with monitor? I know they don’t look as nice as a Mac but my recommendation is function over form.
    Yeah I thought it might worth looking elsewhere. I'm not all that familiar with Apple stuff so I though I'd ask the question.

Thanks
    Karma Level

id stick with PC, cheaper and does the same/better, and certainly if its just for web browsing and homework, with apple all your paying for is the half-eaten apple logo, its asentual a PC they use Intel CPUs lol

youll get a better spec PC than you would an old Mac

Thanks to pickie

TJB (2 Days Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

If that's the case, any recommendations?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Laptop or desktop ?? If laptop you need to think hard on its future uses as laptops aren't really upgradeable, for 120 used you'll get something better than a 2008 mac for new its gonna be in the realm of netbook

Thanks
    Karma Level

You could always go down the hackintosh route if you would prefer apple O/S. Its all PC parts, which are able to run a modified version of the Apple o/s

Spoiler:
    Last edited by josweet; 2 Days Ago at 07:12 PM.

Social Networking Bookmarks