Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default MacBook pro 2012

I have a Macbook pro failing to boot which is possible due to a failing HDD. After running the "fsck -fy" command it hangs for a while at catalog file, then comes back with io error.

Can i change it to any HDD or SDD, or has Apple locked drive support to only certain types & is it true the I/O cable also requires replacing due it being a known issue.

Also, would "Mojave" be my best choice supported OSX upgrade. (not bothered about Bluetooth support)
    ([Only registered and activated users can see links. ])

The model is MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) A1286
    Last edited by josweet; 1 Week Ago at 07:01 PM.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: MacBook pro 2012

Is that an i7 A1286? I am not getting anything for A1268.

If so, that has a 2.5'' SATA 3 drive so can be swapped for any 2.5'' SATA SSD, I'd recommend a Crucial MX500 unless you can get the same capacity for similar price with a Samsung. Do you have another Mac that you can use to make the installer USB?

Personally I would go for Mojave, it does support Catalina but I have heard reports of a lot of issues with that version!

Thanks to evilsatan

josweet (1 Week Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

I made a typo with the model number mate, your correct its a A1286 my mistake

Unfortunately, no other mac here, just Win10 & Linux Mint, so im hoping to convert a DMG to an ISO & then put it on a USB stick somehow.
    NB>>
    I have grabbed "macOS Mojave 10.14.1 and MAC OS latest UTILITIES. November 6, 2018" from the usual places.
    Im guessing thats everything i need.

Does the capacity of the SSD have to remain the same as the original, as ill never fill a 500gb so may as well go smaller.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

You can use any capacity you like and might need Transmac for the DMG to ISO, if you have trouble with that then let me know.

Thanks to evilsatan

josweet (1 Week Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Update,
    Replaced the Drive & also found the Sata cable was also playing up so replaced that also. Downloaded Mojave from the usual places, wrote to USB stick only to find it was really Mountain lion ffs.

Now Downloading another "Mojave" pack ready for retry.
    Can i manually add the Bluetooth driver to Mojave & is it possible to save the driver from Mountain lion & then add it back into Mojave after ?

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I can’t say I’ve ever tried that, did you find a guide online?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not yet, but im hoping.
    I had a right headache with a fresh install. Hours of fooking about & errors, only to realise it was all down to the time being a few hours out ffs.
    Quickly fixed that in terminal and voila, installed first problem free.

Mojave is now hidden in the appstore so grabbed it using another app i found online. Ill burn a DVDr of Mojave, so i dont have the shit in the future as ill be wiping the USB stick once this is done.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

If you can find me somewhere to upload a big file I can upload you an ISO I made. I download the installer to a macOS VM and from that I create a bootable ISO and store that on my iODD external SSD that emulates a dvd drive so I can carry ISOs of all OS and just boot them up. I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t write the ISO to a USB stick then boot to that if you were struggling, I go away next week though so will need to be quick!

Thanks to evilsatan

josweet (14 Hours Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks mate,
    I got Mountain lion installed, & in that i made a Mojave bootable USB stick, & a .dmg for later use.

I know there was probably a lot easier way. but with the "clock" causing me errors, i was trying to figure out wtf was going wrong at the same time.

Im now at the point where I want to burn the .dmg in osx, but not just as a backup of the compressed dmg file, but as a working bootable disc, where i can just slip in the disc and install. Is it just right click & burn, or is a procedure required ?

Social Networking Bookmarks