Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default move all apps to sd card to leave windows on c

hi, nephew has a little acer r3 netbook, bloody things only have 32gb so I've put a sd card of 120gb
    I'm trying to free up space on the c drive and mover everything apart from the OS onto SD card
    is this possible?
    what are my options as this thing won't even update windows as there's no space!!!!

many thanks in advance
    Last edited by mc.dodd; 22nd December 2019 at 07:03 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: move all apps to sd card to leave windows on c

Can't they drag and drop if you plug in into the USB as a mass storage device?

Thanks
    Karma Level

no idea if this works, but looks like you can move the whole programs folder to another drive

Method 2: Move program files to different drive using mklink

The second method is to create a [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] using Command Prompt. A symbolic link is a bit like the shortcuts to programs, folders and websites which attach to the desktop. When Windows or any program tries to access the folder, the symbolic link redirects it to the new location.Step 1. Move “C: \Program Files” fodler to “D: \Program Files”Step 2. Type cmd in the search box, click it and run as administratorStep 3. Create a symbolic link with mklink. If you do not know how to use it, you can directly type mklink in the command prompt window. You can get some information concerned to create a symbolic link. Then, follow syntax below to create a symbolic link and press Enter finally.mklink /D link TargetTaking create a symbolic link for “D: Program Files” as example, you are supposed to type:mklink /D “Program Files” “D: Program Files”“Program Files” is the name of your new symbolic link name.“D: Program Files” is the path your new link refers to.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Note: The command mklink has two type, including soft link and hard link. The above link is a soft link, which just redirect you from a soft link to the folder where the files are stored. The hard link can be more useful, because it makes the files or folders appears as if it actually exist at the location of the symbolic link. You can use the mklink /J link target to replace the above one and type as the following.mklink /J “Program Files” “D: Program Files”

Thanks to pickie

Over Carl (4 Weeks Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by pickie View Post
    no idea if this works, but looks like you can move the whole programs folder to another drive

Method 2: Move program files to different drive using mklink

The second method is to create a [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] using Command Prompt. A symbolic link is a bit like the shortcuts to programs, folders and websites which attach to the desktop. When Windows or any program tries to access the folder, the symbolic link redirects it to the new location.Step 1. Move “C: \Program Files” fodler to “D: \Program Files”Step 2. Type cmd in the search box, click it and run as administratorStep 3. Create a symbolic link with mklink. If you do not know how to use it, you can directly type mklink in the command prompt window. You can get some information concerned to create a symbolic link. Then, follow syntax below to create a symbolic link and press Enter finally.mklink /D link TargetTaking create a symbolic link for “D: Program Files” as example, you are supposed to type:mklink /D “Program Files” “D: Program Files”“Program Files” is the name of your new symbolic link name.“D: Program Files” is the path your new link refers to.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Note: The command mklink has two type, including soft link and hard link. The above link is a soft link, which just redirect you from a soft link to the folder where the files are stored. The hard link can be more useful, because it makes the files or folders appears as if it actually exist at the location of the symbolic link. You can use the mklink /J link target to replace the above one and type as the following.mklink /J “Program Files” “D: Program Files”
    so does this actually move the programs creating free space on the C drive?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo_baggin View Post
    Can't they drag and drop if you plug in into the USB as a mass storage device?
    will they still work if I move them in that way? and will that free up space on the c drive too? the apps installed are mainly the acer bloatware that came pre installed..

Thanks
    Karma Level

Unsure m8. Bloatware is a PITA.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by mc.dodd View Post
    so does this actually move the programs creating free space on the C drive?
    if I read it correctly then yes, I think it just re routes the path to the new path, so it asks for c/programs but knows it on another path and goes there instead

Thanks
    Karma Level

The mklink method should do the job in theory but I doubt performance will be adequate (due to slow performance of SDcard, nothing to do with mklink).

Nothing to loose by trying, but I think your best option is to get a larger SSD (prices have come down a fair bit, 256gb are quite cheap now).

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over Carl View Post
    The mklink method should do the job in theory but I doubt performance will be adequate (due to slow performance of SDcard, nothing to do with mklink).

Nothing to loose by trying, but I think your best option is to get a larger SSD (prices have come down a fair bit, 256gb are quite cheap now).
    I managed to clean up enough space to update windows eventually and by using offline update and external hd..I don't think these models can upgrade to ssd as they're 32gb flash I think..

Thanks to mc.dodd

Bilbo_baggin (3 Weeks Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

best bet it to get this windows version [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] its windows 10 ltsc so it doesnt have all the crud with it
    after a fresh install and office you will have 11gb to play with .

Social Networking Bookmarks