Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention all quiet on the western front

wow looking at the site, is it me or has it gone all super quiet. there posts from 2019 this site used to be mad. What we need is another ITV Digital but sadly those days are gone
    A wise man once said " "

Thanks to Detector

stevo25 (13th February 2020) 

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: all quiet on the western front

All forums are the same the only forum I know of that’s super busy and that’s hundreds of posts a week is one about Motorhomes, crazy.
    Lifeís To Short To Argue - I say As I Get Up Off The Floor After The Misses Wacks Me With A frying Pan.

Thanks to Realist

Detector (13th February 2020) 

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Realist View Post
    All forums are the same the only forum I know of that’s super busy and that’s hundreds of posts a week is one about Motorhomes, crazy.

and mumsnet
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

2 Thanks given to Mickey

Detector (13th February 2020), JonEp (13th February 2020) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

A bit like pubs

Thanks to mij

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeh gone nuts but I blame Facebook.
    Lifeís To Short To Argue - I say As I Get Up Off The Floor After The Misses Wacks Me With A frying Pan.

2 Thanks given to Realist

BigBird (17th February 2020), Detector (13th February 2020) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

AVFORUMS still going well

Thanks to BigBrand

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

This forum was all about home technology etc and peeps these days just google what they need and as for forum use Facebook had killed forums use which is a real shame.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i love df and always will do, over the years its been a great source of info and the people have been simply amazing. i remember one guy sending me the code to make my own wii chips, back when someone on the internet was trying to charge me £600 the fool
    A wise man once said " "

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

DF will always be my home despite my short 4 year ban lol.

Not as busy as it was and shocked to be honest when I came back and when I left it was buzzing with members and content.

Hay start fresh and perhaps it can become the home it once was.

Thanks to Realist

Detector (4 Weeks Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah, I whinged about this not long ago, [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

As I said in that thread, I'm not convinced by Facebook being the cause these days. As it's.....well.....crap.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] is the place for anything and everything it would seem.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I think there are many factors. Here are a few that immediately come to mind

The younger generation spend half their lives on Facebook. The only way they are going to know about this forum is if someone on Facebook points them in this direction for the answers they seek. Also if you ask a question in a Facebook group, you get your answer, usually in a few minutes or in a few hours at most. In this forum, you are expected to read the rules then hang around and make a reasonable contribution first, or be told off or even banned for not doing so. People are impatient. They are not going to wait a week for an answer to their problem if they can get it the same day on Facebook. Why not give people the answer to their problem, with a statement stating the benefits of remaining an active member of DF. If they hang around and contribute then all well and good. If they donít then itís their loss. Doesnít cost anything to provide an answer but it could make the difference between someone hanging around and becoming a contributing member, or deciding that there are easier places to get an answer to their problem. Even if they donít hang around, other DF members could learn from the answers given to the problem.

People are less interested in technical issues and problems these days. If it doesnít work, throw it away and get a new one, or get someone else to fix it. When I was younger, 95% of my generation would fix their own bikes for example, or at least have a go. They would all be potential DF members. Now there are just a small percentage, maybe 10%, that are technically minded problem solvers, and everyone else relies on them for solutions.

YouTube is a vast library of instructional videos. Doubt if there is anyone here that hasnít followed a YouTube video for changing a mobile phone screen, replacing a part on a car, or calibrating the bed on their 3d printer.

Many people now exclusively use their mobile phones for browsing. Facebook on a mobile is fine, but I donít like browsing DF with a mobile. Itís a much better experience on a computer. (">

Thanks to BigBird

Detector (4 Weeks Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBird View Post
    I think there are many factors. Here are a few that immediately come to mind

The younger generation spend half their lives on Facebook. The only way they are going to know about this forum is if someone on Facebook points them in this direction for the answers they seek. Also if you ask a question in a Facebook group, you get your answer, usually in a few minutes or in a few hours at most. In this forum, you are expected to read the rules then hang around and make a reasonable contribution first, or be told off or even banned for not doing so. People are impatient. They are not going to wait a week for an answer to their problem if they can get it the same day on Facebook. Why not give people the answer to their problem, with a statement stating the benefits of remaining an active member of DF. If they hang around and contribute then all well and good. If they don’t then it’s their loss. Doesn’t cost anything to provide an answer but it could make the difference between someone hanging around and becoming a contributing member, or deciding that there are easier places to get an answer to their problem. Even if they don’t hang around, other DF members could learn from the answers given to the problem.

People are less interested in technical issues and problems these days. If it doesn’t work, throw it away and get a new one, or get someone else to fix it. When I was younger, 95% of my generation would fix their own bikes for example, or at least have a go. They would all be potential DF members. Now there are just a small percentage, maybe 10%, that are technically minded problem solvers, and everyone else relies on them for solutions.

YouTube is a vast library of instructional videos. Doubt if there is anyone here that hasn’t followed a YouTube video for changing a mobile phone screen, replacing a part on a car, or calibrating the bed on their 3d printer.

Many people now exclusively use their mobile phones for browsing. Facebook on a mobile is fine, but I don’t like browsing DF with a mobile. It’s a much better experience on a computer. (">

My two daughters (16), don;t touch Facebook. They have an account but seldom use it. Neither do most of their generation. They use Instagram and Snapchat.

2 Thanks given to BigBrand

BigBird (20th February 2020), Detector (4 Weeks Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrand View Post
    My two daughters (16), don;t touch Facebook. They have an account but seldom use it. Neither do most of their generation. They use Instagram and Snapchat.
    Yeah. If anything I find it's actually the older generation now that use Facebook, as it's been around so long. My siblings (in their 60's) love it, but folk my age (early 40's) and lower, fucked it off years ago.

Not that it matters I guess. No bugger comes here anymore and if they do, it's usually just to post an intro and then they're never heard of again.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrand View Post
    I suppose when I said younger generation I meant younger than me. My daughter is 36 and she is constantly on facebook. My 14 year old grandson and his mates use facebook, instagram, whatsapp and snapchat, but mainly instagram and whatsapp. Social media has, in my opinion, not only drawn people away from the traditional forums, but also from traditional forms of entertainment such as going to the park or out on their bikes, etc. (">

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's very fragmented I think. Culturally and age specific in some cases.

Either way, smaller forums that cannot diversify or hold a strong subject won't die, but they'll just exist (like DF).

Reddit & AV Forums are two I frequent everyday, along with a football related one for Manchester United who are constantly busy for different reasons.

I don't there is one set reason why ones like DF slowly fade.

Thanks
    Karma Level

yep facebook groups, groups for almost anything, and real time ish chat, and also Google can solve 90% of your problems without having to create accounts, or point you in a more sutable direction

social media like facebook and inst and the rest I think are an evolution of a forum, although a forum is easyier to navigate and find archived information

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Forums are going by the way side, used to run and own a marine fish forum The SaltyBox and I ended up selling it to an American but he’s not been seen for months so the remaining admin started their own forum and now it’s a dead zone.

Thanks to Realist

Detector (4 Weeks Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

I’m not on Facebook but wife is and she’s constantly on it.
    I don’t get it scrolling through all the spam and send this to ten friends if you want to be liked bollocks.

My kids use different things.
    daughter 24 uses Facebook on a rare occasion but Instagram more than anything else.
    daughter 20 Facebook all day long and messenger.
    daughter 19 snapchat constant all day and all night.

now snapchat I don’t get at all.
    why take a picture to add text to send to someone?

Having a shit day tagged to picture of a fence post or some shit.
    get a life ffs.

If I want to talk to someone I either message or call them. I don’t send a picture of some random crap and put a short caption on it.
    Instagram and twitter @mrteajunkie.

4 Thanks given to Teajunkie

BigBrand (21st February 2020), Detector (4 Weeks Ago), Mickey (20th February 2020), Northernbloke (20th February 2020) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Teajunkie View Post
    I’m not on Facebook but wife is and she’s constantly on it.
    I don’t get it scrolling through all the spam and send this to ten friends if you want to be liked bollocks.

My kids use different things.
    daughter 24 uses Facebook on a rare occasion but Instagram more than anything else.
    daughter 20 Facebook all day long and messenger.
    daughter 19 snapchat constant all day and all night.

now snapchat I don’t get at all.
    why take a picture to add text to send to someone?

Having a shit day tagged to picture of a fence post or some shit.
    get a life ffs.

If I want to talk to someone I either message or call them. I don’t send a picture of some random crap and put a short caption on it.
    Never got this, my daughters do it.

Send videos of them talking to each other, or a picture of the floor and type loads of text over it.

Just call the person ! kids tho eh!

3 Thanks given to BigBrand

Detector (4 Weeks Ago), stevo25 (2 Weeks Ago), Teajunkie (21st February 2020) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

I come back every now again, reset my password and silently reminisce. Honestly, Reddit killed it for me. It became my source of random internet stuff.

A few fond Digital-Forum memories:

- Seeing the threads of the Digital-Forum meetups in a random pub or somewhere. My god, he looks like that???
    - Some thread where a Digital-Forum regular described shagging his mother-in-law.
    - Getting a free Logitech keyboard by pretending to be a reseller.

5 Thanks given to RaggoVibes

BigBrand (4 Weeks Ago), Detector (4 Weeks Ago), Jack-daniels (4 Weeks Ago), Mickey (4 Weeks Ago), stevo25 (2 Weeks Ago) 

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Social Networking Bookmarks