Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Raspberry Pi 4 with RetroPie

Hi all,

I did a thread a few years ago about the Raspberry Pi and RetroPie, well I have just upgraded to the Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB Ram Model) and installed a pre-release of RetroPie designed for the Pi4, this release is not officially supported and is considered alpha/beta.

Kit Purchased:
    Labists Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB) Bundle on Amazon ([Only registered and activated users can see links. ])
    - Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB)
    - USB C Power Supply (includes on/off switch on cable)
    - 2x Mini HDMI to HDMI cables.
    - 3x Heatsinks (CPU, GPU, Ethernet Chip)
    - Labists Case for RPI4
    - Case Fan (powered by GPIO)
    - 32GB MicroSD Card
    - USBC MicroSD Card Reader
    - Screwdriver, Screws + Installation Guide

Ok straight away I swapped the 32GB card for a 128GB one I used on my old Pi.
    Installed the pre-release 128GB image from Damaso (labelled as Nostalgia.Trip.Pi4)

Includes the following systems:
    - VirtualBoy
    - NES
    - SNES
    - N64
    - Genesis
    - Master System
    - GameGear
    - 32x
    - SegaCD
    - PC Engine
    - Arcade (Mame)
    - Naomi (Arcade)
    - Atomiswave (Arcade)
    - Playstation
    + Game hacks and a few other systems i cant remember

So i wasnt able to test everything out but I did an hour to test out the ones I am really interested in.

- Genesis - Tried a couple of sonic games and its practically unplayable, graphics get messed up and its not smooth at all - disappointing but im sure this will be fixed soon as these worked great on the older version of the Pi.

- Playstation - This was a very good emulator, tested a few Resident Evil games and the original Tomb Raider - seemed to play perfectly, no issues or crashes etc.

- Dreamcast - Tested Soul Calibur and Resident Evil Code Veronica - a few small niggles with some graphics but the games play just fine

Overall
    OK, so after my quick play this weekend I would not recommended upgrading to the Pi4 at this time (stick with the 3B+), as the software matures im sure the issues i spotted will be quickly fixed but at the moment until they do a full release that is not alpha/beta i would not upgrade.
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

7 Thanks given to Mystical_2K

Ashley (4 Weeks Ago), beansontoast (2nd March 2020), BIG-TED (3 Weeks Ago), Clubber Lang (3 Weeks Ago), Jack-daniels (4 Weeks Ago), MrTeajunkie (2nd March 2020), Northernbloke (2nd March 2020) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Raspberry Pi 4 with RetroPie

Are you playing this through your TV or do you have a cabinet set up?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TJB View Post
    Are you playing this through your TV or do you have a cabinet set up?
    Currently on my TV, i got rid of all my cabs a few years ago
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks
    Karma Level

How hot does the Pi 4 get? I see some people saying it throttles in a case with no fan. I'm tempted to get one if it can easily be run fanless under heavy load.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnzie View Post
    How hot does the Pi 4 get? I see some people saying it throttles in a case with no fan. I'm tempted to get one if it can easily be run fanless under heavy load.
    Take a look at these two videos, he goes pretty in-depth but gives good results.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]Spoiler: No it wont without throttling back.

Thanks to Jack-daniels

Gunnzie (4 Weeks Ago) 

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Was able to buy a PlayStation classic from Amazon last year for 16 and have recently got round to modding it with project Eris. Absolute bargain for 16 when you consider it comes with two controllers. Mine now has 160 PlayStation games and a great deal of ROMs for emulation.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

2 Thanks given to beansontoast

Ganty (4 Weeks Ago), Mystical_2K (4 Weeks Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beansontoast View Post
    Was able to buy a PlayStation classic from Amazon last year for 16 and have recently got round to modding it with project Eris. Absolute bargain for 16 when you consider it comes with two controllers. Mine now has 160 PlayStation games and a great deal of ROMs for emulation.
    Awesome, that's something to do this week then as mine is still boxed gathering dust!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ganty View Post
    Awesome, that's something to do this week then as mine is still boxed gathering dust!
    You'll need one of these or similar:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

The controller usb ports on the front don't supply much current. You use controller port 2 for the first part of the mod and then you're able to use this on the go adapter on the rear port for the power supply and your new usb with the games on.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnzie View Post
    From my personal experience it gets quite hot when using systems like the Dreamcast games etc. and after a few hours of sitting in the attract screens

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical_2K View Post
    From my personal experience it gets quite hot when using systems like the Dreamcast games etc. and after a few hours of sitting in the attract screens
    That doesn't sound too bad then because I would probably be aiming to emulate less demanding systems than that. Thanks.

Any decent websites for old game roms?

Social Networking Bookmarks