Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default laptop for my boy for school

so, as everyone is having to work at home and school our children, I'm looking for a laptop for my boy.
    Now he's only 5 but very clever(as they are all tech savy these days) and I don't want hime using our equipment so looking to buy him something useful for his work, he'll be using them in school soon if not already so might as well get him something now..
    I don't want one of the 64gb things so its a128gb or 256 ssd and i3 or i5 maybe? something to last him a few years..
    can anyone advise anything please?
    many thanks

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: laptop for my boy for school

I got my daughter a Windows laptop for uni at crimbo and it was just a case of looking for the best spec/cost deal out there. It's the usual suspects, Acer, Lenovo, HP and Asus etc. Keep an eye on the HotUKDeals website for the latest deals.

However, for your requirements I would seriously look at Chromebooks. Most of them are fairly cheap and the Chrome OS is easy to live with.

Another possibility is Endless OS (Linux) on a low end or second hand laptop. It's child friendly and leans toward the education side of things.

Spoiler:

Thanks to MHP

mc.dodd (1 Week Ago) 

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I recommend refurb Lenovo Thinkpads to most people, they are powerful, robust and will cost about the same as a new budget laptop whilst blowing it out of the water. You can get one to fit almost any budget as they release a new model each year, I’d advise getting a T440 at a minimum as they are a lot thinner/lighter compared to the T430 but if there isn’t much price difference then go for the T450 or higher.

I’d suggest getting him windows as that’s the main OS so the more practice he has on it the better prepared he will be as he grows up. Otherwise Linux if you think he might be interested in being a proper techy, I find Linux hard as I don’t know the commands, if you think he’d be interested in coding then maybe someone here can suggest the best OS as I don’t know anything about that.

Not sure what your budget is or if you’d be able to install an SSD yourself but some bargains about if you don’t mind cosmetic condition:
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Thanks to evilsatan

mc.dodd (1 Week Ago) 

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Always seem to have Lenovo x1 carbons on offer on wowcher and well worth it for around 200 mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to jaygo

mc.dodd (1 Week Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

buy him a mouse to use with the laptop as KS2 pupils have to now use a mouse learning to click and navigate.

Thanks to consoles

mc.dodd (1 Week Ago) 

Social Networking Bookmarks