Close

Thread: PC builders

Thanks
    Karma Level

Advice PC builders

Always built my own PCs in the past but lost interest. I need a machine I can run Photoshop on reasonably and play older games like UT2003 etc on. My only real requirement is that it is Intel, 16Gb ram and one SSD and built in a Fractal Design Define case.

anyone know of any good firms who knock them up reasonably and any advice on a reasonable graphics card would be good as well. Only want it with an SSD in with the OS on as I have had a dozen big discs to go in it. No optical drive or peripherals required as I have all those too.

Please donít say DIY as I have no time or inclination and have nothing to learn from the process either.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: PC builders

anyone local to you that can build? only takes 30 mins to build up and then install OS
    Crucial MX500 - GTX1060 gpu - 16gb ram any flavour - AMD Rizen 8 core - mobo to suit amd - case your pref power supply 700watt one with plenty of cables for extra drives etc
    CCLOnline generally have all you need and decent prices.

Thanks to consoles

BertRoot (3 Weeks Ago) 

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Not sure where to have it built but look at NVMe SSDs. PCIe 4.0 is out now so if it supports that then the OS drive will be insanely fast if it is also that spec. A lot of software vendors which deal with graphic design/CAD say the mid-high end GeForce will work and they are cheaper than Quadro. I tend to look at the recommended specs for any software/games that will be played and then design around that.

Thanks to evilsatan

BertRoot (3 Weeks Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

I generally shop exclusively at [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] I have yet to fault them and the customer service is second to non.

I would usually suggest intel but the way AMD have been making roads in the CPU market I would be half tempted to go with them. Something like a Intel core i5 8600 or 9600k or AMD Ryzen 5 3600.

But on the graphics card front I would stick with Nvidia for now, Probably something like a GTX 1650 would do nicely for Photoshop and a few old school games, It would even play some newer gen games.

Take a look at Scan's own Custom PC builder. You can spec it out to your liking. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Thanks to lou3b

BertRoot (3 Weeks Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nice one Lou, pretty much where I was thinking. Scan have always been my go to for parts as they aren't far from me and I have built a massive amount of PCs using their bits. The 9350 was what I was thinking but wasn't sure of graphics cards or the need for GPU onboard the CPU or where they are in power these days. 1650 and 2100 were what I was looking at but don't want to go overkill.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Most likely not what you're after however thought I'd reply
    I "built" a pc for my friend recently who wanted to run photoshop and was on a very tight budget.
    I say built but really it was an old workstation HP Z400 packing a xenon x5650 was £80 off ebay.
    I added a bit more ram (upped it to 16GB) SSD and a radeon saphire Rx580 (£60)
    Runs photoshop and illustrator sweet the tower is totally ugly compare to a fractal however

2 Thanks given to New Art Riot

Ashley (3 Weeks Ago), BertRoot (3 Weeks Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by New Art Riot View Post
    Most likely not what you're after however thought I'd reply
    I "built" a pc for my friend recently who wanted to run photoshop and was on a very tight budget.
    I say built but really it was an old workstation HP Z400 packing a xenon x5650 was £80 off ebay.
    I added a bit more ram (upped it to 16GB) SSD and a radeon saphire Rx580 (£60)
    Runs photoshop and illustrator sweet the tower is totally ugly compare to a fractal however
    Great systems them, used to have one at work running autocad etc was brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ended up getting an MSI X570 A Pro and a Ryzen 3700X. Also got 32Gb of Corsair Vengeance and a 1Tb gigabyte Aorus M2 SSD that you can write at 4 Gb a second. So far am very impressed even though I had to build the fucker.

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BertRoot View Post
    Ended up getting an MSI X570 A Pro and a Ryzen 3700X. Also got 32Gb of Corsair Vengeance and a 1Tb gigabyte Aorus M2 SSD that you can write at 4 Gb a second. So far am very impressed even though I had to build the fucker.
    to get the very last mph out of the SSD there should be a setting in the bios about "trim" settings, then it'll go as fast as it can. Its usually auto done in windows, but wasn't on my rig
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Thanks
    Karma Level

You don’t need to Mickey. It is plugged directly into the PCIe 4 rail on the motherboard. Looks mental and sat next to the CPU.

Thanks to BertRoot

Mickey (2 Weeks Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

M2 Drives are bloody lovely little things Picked up a 1TB m2 drive not to long back for £120. Mine was a pain in the ass to install with the free little heatsink I got with it. If you have a conventional SSD then the TRIM settings should be auto enabled on newer MB's

Thanks
    Karma Level

Mental fucking thing but a flying machine.

Thanks
    Karma Level

My experience could be very out of date but I had a couple of comments after reading this thread.

I remember being responsible for purchasing and maintaining PCs used for AutoCAD. NVidia Quadros were recommended. They were massively overpriced compared to GEforce cards. When we were mainly doing 2D drawings lower end Quadros did the job but when we were doing a lot more 3D work they were struggling. Boss didn't like the price of the higher end Quadros so we bought a top end GeForce and I hacked the Quadro drivers to recognise it but performance was still the same as using GrForce drivers. I was hoping to hack the Geforce cards BIOS to see if that gave the performance boost but sadly I wasn't allowed so I can't say what would have happened.

Also HP workstations have been mentioned. I've never played with them myself, but I've used the equivalent Dell Precision workstations. Seemed a lot less likely to crash than the average Dell Optiplex PC's (and the Optiplexes were more stable than the Vostros). Higher end Precisions were also very scalable. Only snag is they aren't cheap.

Thanks to Over Carl

Ashley (1 Week Ago) 

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over Carl View Post
    My experience could be very out of date but I had a couple of comments after reading this thread.

I remember being responsible for purchasing and maintaining PCs used for AutoCAD. NVidia Quadros were recommended. They were massively overpriced compared to GEforce cards. When we were mainly doing 2D drawings lower end Quadros did the job but when we were doing a lot more 3D work they were struggling. Boss didn't like the price of the higher end Quadros so we bought a top end GeForce and I hacked the Quadro drivers to recognise it but performance was still the same as using GrForce drivers. I was hoping to hack the Geforce cards BIOS to see if that gave the performance boost but sadly I wasn't allowed so I can't say what would have happened.

Also HP workstations have been mentioned. I've never played with them myself, but I've used the equivalent Dell Precision workstations. Seemed a lot less likely to crash than the average Dell Optiplex PC's (and the Optiplexes were more stable than the Vostros). Higher end Precisions were also very scalable. Only snag is they aren't cheap.
    Most software vendors now say GeForce is fine, I think Quadros are just the top performing chips in the silicon lottery just like Xeons are the rest of the chips are sold as GeForce. Agree on the Dell systems, I supply Optiplex by default and Precision for CAD systems, Vostro in very rare circumstances where the customer has a super strict budget.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I looked at the Aorus on my recent gaming machine build, but ended up going for the Sabrent Rocket, which is supposed to be even faster at 5 gig a second, but its not benchmarking anywhere near that, its nearer 3.5.
    As I understand it these pci4.0 m2's go so fast that they generate a fair bit of heat (hence the heatsinks), and they throttle down when a lot of data is being transfered to reduce heat. I am assuming mine is doing that due to the shifting of data benchmarking it.
    Its still benchmarking just short of 10x as fast as my 3 other ssd's in the machine.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not benched this one matey but am seriously impressed how quick it is compared to my last machine. There is a temp monitor on that changes the colour of my keyboard and not got past yellow yet.

Social Networking Bookmarks