Close

Feb 2007
    Dorset
    Karma Level

mince meat cooking time ??

Ok never been one for cooking for myself, but decided i try my hand at cooking spaghetti bolognase, im using dolmaio sause, the jar says brown the mince for 5 mins then pour the sause in and simmer for 15 mins, the mince meat packet says cook for 25-30 mins, yet good old google says mince only needs to be cooked for 5 mins and the bbc website cooking pages say simmer for 1 hour and 15 mins !!!!!! , what is the correct amount of time to simmer after browning the mince meat for 5 mins ??

I may or may not reply as im currently eating what I think is cooked (5 mins brown and simmer for 20 mins)

Thanks

Mike
    Last edited by pickie; 2nd June 2020 at 03:43 PM.

Mar 2001
    Oxford
    Karma Level

Re: mince meat cooking time ??

Depends on how high the heat is and the size of the pan, if you are using a frying pan put a small amount of oil in the pan heat it up on a low to med heat, put the mince in you might need to stab it with a wooden spoon to break it up then keep stirring it and turning it over till all of the mince looks brown so all of the red has gone then pour over the sauce and simmer for 20 mins.
    Oil is optional but it depends on the fat content of the meat the mince we buy is normally 5% fat so needs a bit of oil.

What I normally do for a bit more flavor is dice up an onion and fry that first until it's gone translucent then add the mince, brown then add the sauce and simmer.

pickie (2nd June 2020) 

DF General DogsBody
    Nov 2006
    Digital Forums
    Karma Level

as above, but I fry off mushrooms and onions first then add these before adding the sauce, once the mince has fully being cooked through and no red bits then add all the ingredients you already cooked then add Sause. from start to finish id say 30 mins tops, just don't let the meat dry out, keep it moist
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

pickie (2nd June 2020) 

Dec 2009
    Devon
    Karma Level

Mince as long as it’s beef is safe to eat raw so don’t worry about it.&nbsp;<br><br>I only brown it off until the fat starts to leave the mince and then drain it off.<br>Then simmer in the sauce for 15 mins while pasta is cooking.&nbsp;<br><br>15 mins is more than enough time to cook it through even without browning off first.
    Instagram and twitter @mrteajunkie.
    I make mugs, keyrings, coasters, T-shirt’s and decals.

pickie (2nd June 2020) 

Jan 2007
    Way out there
    Karma Level

do mine in slow cooker for about 4 hours, brown off in frying pan then add everything to slow cooker, bit of Worcestershire sauce 4 hrs later melt in your mouth bolognase.

MHP (2nd June 2020), pickie (2nd June 2020) 

Sep 2004
    Poppy Fields
    Karma Level

Another tip, don't use Dolmio, it is shit and full of sugar. Just use Passata and add some Italian herbs and if you are feeling adventurous chop some garlic and put in the oil before the onions but don't burn it. Passata costs peanuts and comes in a carton. Cook the same as Dolmio. It will taste a lot nicer.

Dec 2008
    London
    Karma Level

I always prefer mince beef meals reheated for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 2007
    Dorset
    Karma Level

ok cheers all hopefully i wont die of food poising then if im cooking for 20 mins

Nov 2017
    UK
    Karma Level

I simmer mine for an hour so the mince is very tender and always with homemade sauce the shop brought ones are terrible and full of sugar..

Ashley (6th June 2020), pickie (6th June 2020) 

DF General DogsBody
    Nov 2006
    Digital Forums
    Karma Level

I just made one and left it there overnight . We're having it with bake spuds later. I used a bit of port mixed in with the mince and once he mince had absorbed the port. I threw in the mushrooms and onions that had already been nearly cooked. Tastes abs yummy

pickie (14th June 2020) 

Sep 2007
    Lancashire
    Karma Level

5 mins in the microwave on high - sorted

pickie (14th June 2020) 

Social Networking Bookmarks

•