Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Vauxhall combo 2008 won't start after running fine

Hello all, I've got a 2008 Vauxhall Combo van 13 cdti, it's got 150,000 on the clock . Last week I went to Cumbria (approx 90 miles) , i ended up having to get it recovered as it just cut out one day when I was there, I originally thought it could be the timing chain but I've now been able to rule that out. I now think it could be the head gasket, even though it showed non of the symptoms
    It didn't miss a beat on the way there
    no overheating
    not using water
    pipes weren't pressured
    No oil in the water

I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same . It did notice that sometimes it used to be sluggish at roundabouts , I had to give it loads of revs to get it going properly.

I forgot to mention that the engine management light came on earlier that day , that's when it was sluggish . I stopped to go shopping and the EML went off and it seemed to run ok again.

The original reason for mentioning no compression was because of the recovery company that brought me home said this...ive heard different things so now I think it could be just their way to get more money out of me...

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
    Last edited by Gizmodog; 14th August 2020 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Forgot about MEL earlier

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Vauxhall combo 2008 no compression

Head gasket signs normally are oil in the water and white foam inside the oil filler cap.
    Life’s To Short To Argue - I say As I Get Up Off The Floor After The Misses Wacks Me With A frying Pan.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for your reply , yeah . There's no cream under the oil cap and I won't know for definite about oil in the water until tomorrow when I start stripping it down but from what I can see there is none in the expansion tank

Thanks
    Karma Level

Are you guessing no compression or you had it tested
    Jag
    I'm not racist i hate everybody

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi Thanks for your reply, no i haven't had it tested but when cranking it there's no compression noise like a (di di di) that you get when cranking a diesel engine, sorry for the bad example but i dont know ghe correct term for it and i cant think of a better way of describing it ... also the recovery people that ended up bringing me home said there was no compression . They tried different things like spraying something in to the air intake & they tried a tow start, but to no avail

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

That’s my next area to look at compression and go from there.
    Life’s To Short To Argue - I say As I Get Up Off The Floor After The Misses Wacks Me With A frying Pan.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd eliminate the fuel filter and fuel pump first.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thank you for your reply.. I think the recovery people ruled out the fuel pump and filter when they sprayed cold start into the air intake while cranking it..

Thanks
    Karma Level

If there is no signs of a head gasket failure and you still suspect loss of compression, then it could be timing. When were the belts/chains last changed?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Did it try and start at all with easy start ? These have quiet a low compression and do whizz over when not starting properly. Timing chains do break for fun on them though. If the compression are OK id hazard a guess at egr stuck wide open, exhaust coming straight back round and causing it to not run. (I wouldn't rule out timing chain jumped though).
    They are a complete load of tosh to work on, Italian engineering at its worst. Its a pain to remove any item nothing is straightforward and you have to dismantle 5 other things to remove the item you need to remove. normally start at the sump and work up.

Ted

EDIT cant 100% remember without looking, if you can see the cam turning while cranking with the oil filler off I think you can, or at least should.
    Run your wife a nice hot bath, light some candles & pour some wine. Then you've at least 40 mins on the xbox plus a clean wife.

Experts... x is an unknown quantity and spurt is a fast drip.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've no experience of this engine but it might be worthwhile looking at crank position sensor or cam position sensor.

I once had a V6 with a crank position sensor fault. The engine wouldn't restart until the sensor had cooled down a bit. Which was a bugger to diagnose because I'd usually park up for long enough for it to cool down.

Maybe this deterioration such as giving it some beans at a roundabout then finally failing indicates something has gradually failed.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Firstly thanks for your reply,
    No it didn't try to start when they sprayed easy start In, it's just completely dead, nothing when trying to tow bump it either , I know the chain hasn't snapped as I've removed the Allen key bolt to access the camshaft bolt and it's spinning when cranking it over

And you can't see the cam turning while cranking via the oil filler cap as it's on a pipe running down the rear of the engine (straight into the sump I'm guessing)
    Last edited by Gizmodog; 14th August 2020 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Missed

Thanks
    Karma Level

Judging by receipts the chain was changed in 2018. It's just a europarts receipt so I've no idea of mileage etc

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Vauxhall combo 2008 won't start after running fine

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Last edited by beansontoast; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:15 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

BIG-TED
    Just a quick update...
    A friend of mine has had a look and he also said he thinks the chain has slipped, in fact he said he could 99% guarantee it as he's recently replaced a chain on a corsa for the same reason, so im halfway through stripping it down and I've got the timing chain kit , I don't have the timing chain locking tool yet as I'm not sure if the ones on eBay are for my engine... They are for a Z13DT engine whereas my engine is a Z13DTJ ... Probably no or little difference??

Thanks to Gizmodog

MHP (4 Weeks Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thank you everyone for your help , I've managed to fix the issue, it only took these things ....
    Firstly -
    new timing chain kit
    2 x locking tool kits
    A Torque bit set
    And a stressed out head
    Then went to plan B

A mechanic
    A New Engine
    & more money than I wanted to pay

I got a replacement engine & got a local mechanic to stick it in because I couldn't be bothered with it anymore, I also got him to stick the new timing chain kit on too for good measure and peice of mind

Social Networking Bookmarks