Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hardware Xbox Original, What a great machine.

I've dusted off my xbox original over the last week or so. Added a bigger SATA hard drive from an old sky box, (cheap ass I know) using a pata to sata converter from Evilbay. Not the best quality I think the sweat shop in china must have been having a shift change when they did mine, I finished off for them and now it works..

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I had forgotten alot of things about the Xbox, but a quick run down.
    The hard drive is locked to mother board from factory, a hard modded unit doesn't have to be. (soft mod must be)
    Mine is hard modded flashing the on board tsop with xecuter 2 bios with the 4983.67 (the 67 is the important part for large drives 6 partition f and 7 partition g)
    Mine booted to evox dash so could easily ftp transfer all the files across I need.

To get it to work I used a program called chimp which copies the partitions C and E to the new drive from the current drive in the xbox using the xbox and a hot swop and allows it to boot.
    Then the remaining new partitions need formatting I used XBpartitioner-1_3 It has a grumble about the lack of lba48 but works fine anyway.
    Then grab yourself a copy of coin ops complete and ftp it across to the new big drive partition f or g your choice depending on size. (it takes quite a while)
    Add all your favourite xbox original games to the partition you didn't use, in a folder called games, if you still have room in the other partition you can add some in the folder called games there too.

I altered the default dash to Avalaunch as its ftp boost is great for transferring games using quix.
    This can be done with XbeShortcutMaker2.0 find what program is currently the dash and point this at the xbe you want to boot and rename this to the current dashes name i.e evox.xbe or default.xbe. Before you pull the trigger on this, make the link and pop it in another directory first and try it make sure it boots the dash you want, because if it doesn't you'll be stuck with a non booting xbox.

All the older rerto games on one machine with some of the classics from the original xbox too.

Just to let folks know remember xbins back in the day, still going with most of the programs you'll need on it too.

After i'd changed the avalaunch.xml file and ballsed it up i couldn't ftp into the machine to rename the back up, I found this worked well for me, free for testing at the moment. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Now all we need is a proper digital hdmi port mod and it'll be golden.

IF you have a 1.5 motherboard version or below make sure you have removed the leaking battery capacitor and cleaned up the area. 1.6 don't need removing

Have fun

Ted
    Last edited by BIG-TED; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:31 PM.
    Run your wife a nice hot bath, light some candles & pour some wine. Then you've at least 40 mins on the xbox plus a clean wife.

Experts... x is an unknown quantity and spurt is a fast drip.

3 Thanks given to BIG-TED

beansontoast (4 Weeks Ago), MHP (4 Weeks Ago), MrTeajunkie (4 Weeks Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Xbox Original, What a great machine.

Just a point to note....if its tsop flashed, or mod chipped, then no need to mess around with chimp, just boot to the autoinstaller disc and let it do all the large drive partition formatting and dashboard install.

Thanks to tronads

BIG-TED (4 Weeks Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tronads View Post
    Just a point to note....if its tsop flashed, or mod chipped, then no need to mess around with chimp, just boot to the autoinstaller disc and let it do all the large drive partition formatting and dashboard install.
    Good point, forgot to add my dvd drive dont read anything, dead. I knew there was a reason it was harder than it should have been. LOL.

I found a samsung 616 F <--- the important bit, for a tenner delivered, so will mod and rewire that just 'cuz really.

Ted
    Run your wife a nice hot bath, light some candles & pour some wine. Then you've at least 40 mins on the xbox plus a clean wife.

Experts... x is an unknown quantity and spurt is a fast drip.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I loved my Xbox, thought it had been thrown out but found it the other day in my parents loft, crystal edition and from memory a 1.6 board. I think I accidentally forgot to turn off the modchip once and it got banned from XBL. Only downside was the controller was bulky, the 360 model was much better.

Thanks to evilsatan

BIG-TED (4 Weeks Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BIG-TED View Post
    Good point, forgot to add my dvd drive dont read anything, dead. I knew there was a reason it was harder than it should have been. LOL.

I found a samsung 616 F <--- the important bit, for a tenner delivered, so will mod and rewire that just 'cuz really.

Ted
    Another advantage of a tsop/chip over a softmod....if you had had a second box, you could have built the hdd over there and just swapped it over.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BIG-TED View Post
    I've dusted off my xbox original over the last week or so. Added a bigger SATA hard drive from an old sky box, (cheap ass I know) using a pata to sata converter from Evilbay. Not the best quality I think the sweat shop in china must have been having a shift change when they did mine, I finished off for them and now it works..

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Ted
    Looks like poor 3 year old timmy has to whack 10,000 a day out on his 17 hour 7 days a week shift otherwise he dont get his 10p per week wages, thats some shocking soldering there

god forbid they do anything SMT

Thanks to pickie

BIG-TED (4 Weeks Ago) 

Social Networking Bookmarks