Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: New Computers + Lots of Storage Needed - Ideas

Received it and it seems to work, but RAID controller is different to advert. Only has an LSI 3008 flashed into IT mode. So it can only see all the drives as single drives (JBOD). Also the POS RAID controller wont even let me format all drives at the same time. Been 2 hours and haven't even got to 1% on the first drive so could take forever just to test all the drives.

It is a bit noisy, but not as bad as PowerEdge 2950's I've previously had which only held 6 drives in the same 2U size.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Have you contacted the seller? You should be able to get a partial refund to cover the cost of buying that card or have them send one over.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Contracted the seller who claimed advert doesn't say anything about LSI 9361 with supercap so I've sent a screenshot and waiting for reply.

I thought as the RAID controller isn't giving me the capability to test all drives at same time when I boot into the option ROM, I would just plug a 500Gb SSD to the SATA port on mobo, boot into windows using this, then hopefully I can use Megaraid Storage Manager to allow me to test all 12 drives at the same time. But silly me didn't think that because I have 128Gb RAM, now I have a 128Gb swapfile (and another simailr amount because hibernation was enabled)! Doesn't stop me me carrying on, but I didn't think about this.

Also used Daz Loader and seems like I need to wipe the SSD and start again as it says a disk read error occured when I reboot. Playing with servers often is a bit more fun then regular desktops....

Been reading a little bit, and it seems I can change the power supplies for SQ (super quiet) versions. Will be looking into whether I can also replace the 4 main fans with SQ versions. That should hopefully quieten it down.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 4 Days Ago at 05:33 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Result, eBay seller just confirmed he will be sending the missing RAID controller at no additional cost.

But to get things going, I thought I would do a full format on all 12 drives just as JBOD. Looks like it will take 6-7 days to complete!

This will let me transfer some data to drives 7-12 so at least my data is now stored on drives that aren't about to fail.

Then when RAID controller comes, I can format drives 1-6 in RAID, then copy the data on drives 7-12 to there, then I can format drives 7-12 in another RAID to be used as a backup.

So will be the end of the week when I can actually just start putting data on it, but when the RAID controller arrives will be another roughly 2 weeks to get everything configured properly so I can then install Server 2019.

I realised I don't need the 2nd CPU and all that RAM just to format drives so I've temporarily removed it and I'm surprised in this configuration it only seems to be drawing around 250w.

But this motherboard has 2 riser cards with PCIE slots, and one riser is linked to 1 CPU and 2nd riser linked to 2nd CPU. So I can't use half my PCIE slots without having 2 CPU's installed which might be a pain as I had thought to also fit a sound card and basic modern GFX card to allow this to be usable as a general purpose desktop as well as a server. I've realised the riser card for the 1st CPU can be swapped for one with 3 PCIE slots which would be enough for my plan. But then I would drop down from 4x10GBE ports to 2x10GBE. Not bothered with that so I might do this at some point

Thanks to Over Carl

evilsatan (14 Hours Ago) 

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Social Networking Bookmarks