Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: New Computers + Lots of Storage Needed - Ideas

Received it and it seems to work, but RAID controller is different to advert. Only has an LSI 3008 flashed into IT mode. So it can only see all the drives as single drives (JBOD). Also the POS RAID controller wont even let me format all drives at the same time. Been 2 hours and haven't even got to 1% on the first drive so could take forever just to test all the drives.

It is a bit noisy, but not as bad as PowerEdge 2950's I've previously had which only held 6 drives in the same 2U size.

Thanks to Over Carl

JonEp (1 Week Ago) 

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Have you contacted the seller? You should be able to get a partial refund to cover the cost of buying that card or have them send one over.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Contracted the seller who claimed advert doesn't say anything about LSI 9361 with supercap so I've sent a screenshot and waiting for reply.

I thought as the RAID controller isn't giving me the capability to test all drives at same time when I boot into the option ROM, I would just plug a 500Gb SSD to the SATA port on mobo, boot into windows using this, then hopefully I can use Megaraid Storage Manager to allow me to test all 12 drives at the same time. But silly me didn't think that because I have 128Gb RAM, now I have a 128Gb swapfile (and another simailr amount because hibernation was enabled)! Doesn't stop me me carrying on, but I didn't think about this.

Also used Daz Loader and seems like I need to wipe the SSD and start again as it says a disk read error occured when I reboot. Playing with servers often is a bit more fun then regular desktops....

Been reading a little bit, and it seems I can change the power supplies for SQ (super quiet) versions. Will be looking into whether I can also replace the 4 main fans with SQ versions. That should hopefully quieten it down.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 18th October 2020 at 05:33 PM.

Thanks to Over Carl

JonEp (1 Week Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Result, eBay seller just confirmed he will be sending the missing RAID controller at no additional cost.

But to get things going, I thought I would do a full format on all 12 drives just as JBOD. Looks like it will take 6-7 days to complete!

This will let me transfer some data to drives 7-12 so at least my data is now stored on drives that aren't about to fail.

Then when RAID controller comes, I can format drives 1-6 in RAID, then copy the data on drives 7-12 to there, then I can format drives 7-12 in another RAID to be used as a backup.

So will be the end of the week when I can actually just start putting data on it, but when the RAID controller arrives will be another roughly 2 weeks to get everything configured properly so I can then install Server 2019.

I realised I don't need the 2nd CPU and all that RAM just to format drives so I've temporarily removed it and I'm surprised in this configuration it only seems to be drawing around 250w.

But this motherboard has 2 riser cards with PCIE slots, and one riser is linked to 1 CPU and 2nd riser linked to 2nd CPU. So I can't use half my PCIE slots without having 2 CPU's installed which might be a pain as I had thought to also fit a sound card and basic modern GFX card to allow this to be usable as a general purpose desktop as well as a server. I've realised the riser card for the 1st CPU can be swapped for one with 3 PCIE slots which would be enough for my plan. But then I would drop down from 4x10GBE ports to 2x10GBE. Not bothered with that so I might do this at some point

2 Thanks given to Over Carl

evilsatan (22nd October 2020), JonEp (1 Week Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Got my proper RAID controller today.

In the end I decided to have 6x8tb in RAID6, 5x8tb in RAID5 (will do a monthly backup from the RAID6 to the RAID5), and one drive left as a global hotspare.

Surprised that when I tried to format the 12 drives in JBOD mode, it took 6 1/2 days to do a full format. Now with the RAID controller, in 2 1/2 hours, it's already 25% through formatting the drives in a RAID. Once that's finished, time for me to migrate my data and set up Server 2019.

Edit: RAID controller formatted the drives quicker then I expected. But because I want to be 100% sure of a solid setup to last me a while, it looks like windows will take me about a week to format the 2 RAID partitions Hopefully will really be able to use this in about a week

Edit: I hadn't fitted the BBU to the RAID controller so write caching was disabled. Now I've forced it to be on (temporarily, will revert to default when I fit the BBU), looks like it will complete formatting some time tonight.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:45 PM.

2 Thanks given to Over Carl

evilsatan (28th October 2020), JonEp (1 Week Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

RAID all fully formatted a few days ago then got tied up with other shite.

Started migrating my data but annoyingly my old PC seems to be slow transferring data. Only seems to use just over half the network bandwidth (around 550megbits/sec when should be able to transfer 1000). Doesn't seem to be limited by HDD speed as it's the same if I am moving data from just my old RAID setup, or if I'm moving data from that + 2 JBOD drives at the same time. Had it running for around 12 hours on Friday and it only moved around 3Tb.

Tried Set-SmbClientConfiguration -EnableBandwidthThrottling0 -EnableLargeMtu1 on both ends but this made no difference.

Getting there, but slower then I had hoped.

Did a few quick tests of my new RAID5+RAID6 setup and was amazed at the speeds, once I finish my migration I will do some further tests, but it seems like both are much faster than an SSD.

Edit: I'm guessing the slow migration may be because I'm using robocopy instead of a normal SMB file transfer. Really want to use robocopy instead of normal file transfer so at least everything gets fully transferred with no issues about permissions or anything, and not find everything has halted waiting for me to click yes to something. Rsync might be better but I can't be bothered figuring it out and maybe loosing data because I've done something wrong as I'm not very familiar with rsync.

Edit 2: If I don't use the robocopy /z switch (for restartable mode), then I'm now using my full LAN bandwidth. Now I might complete migration in a sensible time.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:32 PM.

Thanks to Over Carl

JonEp (1 Week Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

UnRAID buddy, honestly
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    DF Members Receive 25% Off Our Web Hosting Plans. - PM For More Info. - Authorised By Admin.

Thanks to Rick Sanchez

Over Carl (6 Days Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Migrated all my data then got bored for now. Might start having "fun" with it in a few weeks, but first need to tidy up all the duplicates, and duplicates of duplicates, etc.

Decided I'm gonna stick with conventional operating systems because I've used Windows for a long time, I have some ideas on how to fix it if things go wrong, and there is a lot more information available if I encounter a problem I can't fix myself.

That's left me stuck with deciding on Server 2019 or Win10. Server seems like the obvious choice, but sometimes I've found programs that don't want to run on server versions because of software checks/features missing in server editions, and there is a lot more shared knowledge on problems with regular Win10. Still thinking......
    Last edited by Over Carl; 1 Week Ago at 07:08 PM.

Thanks to Over Carl

JonEp (1 Week Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Check UnRAID buddy and VM what you need
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    DF Members Receive 25% Off Our Web Hosting Plans. - PM For More Info. - Authorised By Admin.

Thanks to Rick Sanchez

Over Carl (6 Days Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry I didn't explain myself properly.

I meant if the host goes tits up, at least I have some idea how to fix windows machines, I'm less than a noob when it comes to UnRAID.

Also various tools sometimes only work with Windows. e.g. I wanted to benchmark my RAID setups, easy to find software in windows. Wanted to perform a thorough full low level format of all drives, easy to find in windows, I wanted software to give me alerts and full info about my drives and RAID setup - easily found in windows.

As much as UnRAID sounds interesting, if anything I would need to learn for a few years on loads of UnRAID machines before I would gain enough experience to be confident to trust all my data with such a setup.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Social Networking Bookmarks