Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: So, how are you guys doing in the UK during COVID?

Quote Originally Posted by Over Carl View Post
    But even then, giving people 50% discount on junk food when a lot of people aren't normally exercising? How about the motor trade that's been suffering for years. Why not give them 50% towards getting their car fixed instead of extending MOT periods. Helps the economy, helps a struggling industry more desperate for needing help compared to the McD's and Starbucks, would be a real benefit to the consumer who got discount on car fixed, and benefit to the whole public as we are making sure cars aren't dangerous. Sorry that seems like too much common sense to ever be implemented.
    Eat out wasn't just on junk food though, it was the entire hospitality sector. As the majority of starbucks, costa, dominos etc etc etc are franchises they're as much in need of help as any independent cafe or shop. They had been allowed to continue doing take out & delivery anyway so that shouldn't have needed the support, it's the businesses which weren't equipped to be able to do that. Having a discount against a take out 3 course meal from a pub/restaurant wasn't really going to help them survive.

If the motor trade has been suffering for years then the middle of a pandemic is hardly the time to try and change that but as people weren't supposed to be driving unnecessarily then it shouldn't have been that relevant really to extend an mot by a month or two. There are many trades & industries which haven't had much if any support. From the retail sector, newly self employed, business owners paid via dividend (yes all the IT contractors doing this are tax dodgers etc etc-it's retribution for years of legalised avoidance.... )

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    Simply just not true, some have seen outbreaks and taken swift decisive action to keep infections to a minimum and more importantly prioritised the lives of their people and used effective track and trace not the world beating one we have.
    Should have followed the Chinese response, with 3 deaths per 1m of population they have done a far better job than New Zealand's 5 per 1m...

T&T hasn't been what it could have been, creating a system from scratch was always likely to be a fuck up, look at most of the software projects through the NHS, HMRC etc etc. Initial testing capacity was an issue but to be fair to them they ramped it up and have done more tests than practically any other country. Other countries have done far better in terms of immediate response - South Korea etc who have the experience of dealing with outbreaks from Sars but tbh I still don't think they've done a drastically worse job than most other countries.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Doing well as I hope you all are

My wife works in a school and as we are both in our 60's (I'm retired) we are both probably being put at risk so that most workers working safely from home can send their little darlings away for a few hours respite

I have never watched so much tv & films and am really enjoying listening to my music collection...Good health to you all

Thanks to mij

beansontoast (1 Week Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Simply just not true, some have seen outbreaks and taken swift decisive action to keep infections to a minimum and more importantly prioritised the lives of their people and used effective track and trace not the world beating one we have.
    It is true. They've all seen steady increases since the summer.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I'm not denying that the UK could have done things differently but every country sees an increase as soon as they come out of lockdown.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TJB View Post
    It is true. They've all seen steady increases since the summer.
    Numbers have increased but it is a million miles from a steady increase you are using weasel words to try and misrepresent the reality, South Korea is about the only country seeing a resurgence out of the list yet to be fully contained but again they are taking swift decisive action to to combat it, and just to bring that into perspective and as we don't release the data on active cases a fair guestimate on the daily reported infection statistics is we have 200,000 plus active cases.

Australia: Active cases 79

New Zealand: Active cases 40

Vietnam: Active cases 127

Taiwan: Active cases 58

South Korea: Active cases 3,253

UK Estimated active cases 200,000 plus

I'm not denying that the UK could have done things differently but every country sees an increase as soon as they come out of lockdown.
    Again you are incorrect and misrepresenting the facts, you have seen some new outbreaks that have been swiftly contained, these countries did not open up before they had the virus under control, most of these countries had in place effective track and trace systems along with apps in place.
    Last edited by Bald Bouncer; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:02 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by hoponbaby View Post
    Should have followed the Chinese response, with 3 deaths per 1m of population they have done a far better job than New Zealand's 5 per 1m...

Really you are giving the argument New Zealand should have followed China's response when they had 2 deaths per million less - UK 791 deaths per million who should have we followed then?

Quote Originally Posted by hoponbaby View Post
    T&T hasn't been what it could have been, creating a system from scratch was always likely to be a fuck up, look at most of the software projects through the NHS, HMRC etc etc. Initial testing capacity was an issue but to be fair to them they ramped it up and have done more tests than practically any other country. Other countries have done far better in terms of immediate response - South Korea etc who have the experience of dealing with outbreaks from Sars but tbh I still don't think they've done a drastically worse job than most other countries.
    I am not saying it wasn't a huge task and I had previously held back from the criticism of ignoring the early warnings from Italy, the spouting of the heard immunity bollox, the telling people if they had symptoms just stay at home don't get tested when WHO was saying TEST TEST TEST, closing down too late, sitting on their hands for weeks not precuring PPE, refusing to go in with the EU procurement, not ramping up testing facilities, not involving local councils in the track and trace despite pleas from them to do so they didn't even give them information on outbreaks in their areas, etc etc but they have learnt very little from their mistakes and not only ignored warnings but scientific advice they claimed to be following. I agree other countries did either have previous experience or in the case of Germany far better facilities already in place but that should have helped them prepare better with more time than the rest of Europe.

You still don't see they've done a drastically worse job than most other countries, well again lets go back to the bottom line of deaths and even by that 212 countries leaders in the world have done a better job and only 7 worse depending on which statistic you go by but none make it any better.

2 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

Ashley (1 Week Ago), DavidF (1 Week Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Numbers have increased but it is a million miles from a steady increase you are using weasel words to try and misrepresent the reality, South Korea is about the only country seeing a resurgence out of the list yet to be fully contained but again they are taking swift decisive action to to combat it, and just to bring that into perspective and as we don't release the data on active cases a fair guestimate on the daily reported infection statistics is we have 200,000 plus active cases.

Australia: Active cases 79

New Zealand: Active cases 40

Vietnam: Active cases 127

Taiwan: Active cases 58

South Korea: Active cases 3,253

UK Estimated active cases 200,000 plus

Again you are incorrect and misrepresenting the facts, you have seen some new outbreaks that have been swiftly contained, these countries did not open up before they had the virus under control, most of these countries had in place effective track and trace systems along with apps in place.
    I absolutely stand by what I've said. People in the UK haven't fucking done what they were asked to do. I don't care whether the lock down came earlier, later or not at all and the other shit you keep waffling on about. If people refuse to follow the rules, the rates will go up. I'd imagine the only country worse than the UK for isolating is America.
    Last edited by TJB; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:14 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

In the situation we are in people can't even use or don't have common sense, when you know how it spreads and the risks why are people not being more careful regardless of what rules are in place.

Regardless what the rules are at Christmas me and my wife and kids will spend Christmas together and we wont be seeing any friends or relatives.

I run a small company and can't afford to shut it because I have Covid for 1,2 3 week or how ever long it takes me to get better, so I will be doing my upmost to stay the fuck away from everyone parents included.

2 Thanks given to ss30

Ashley (1 Week Ago), Bald Bouncer (2 Weeks Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

I absolutely stand by what I've said. People in the UK haven't fucking done what they were asked to do. I don't care whether the lock down came earlier, later or not at all and the other shit you keep waffling on about. If people refuse to follow the rules, the rates will go up. I'd imagine the only country worse than the UK for isolating is America.
    My "waffling on" as you put is debunking the claims you have made with actual facts, I purposely used Australia and New Zealand as examples as I have seen the counter arguments on many of the Asian countries who have dealt with it well having harsh regimes and compliant people, I lived in Australia for 10 years and visited New Zealand many times and their attitudes, stupidity, anti rules and non compliance is easily on the same level as the people of the UK, the leadership, way it was handled and enforcement was the difference. As for the other claims about the timing of the lockdown making no difference well epidemiologists, virologists and Sage disagree so I prefer to take their evidence backed up by data and reliable projections than the opinion of the epidemiologists and virologists springing up with social media diplomas.

Thanks to Bald Bouncer

DavidF (1 Week Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

My "waffling on" as you put is debunking the claims you have made with actual facts, I purposely used Australia and New Zealand as examples as I have seen the counter arguments on many of the Asian countries who have dealt with it well having harsh regimes and compliant people, I lived in Australia for 10 years and visited New Zealand many times and their attitudes, stupidity, anti rules and non compliance is easily on the same level as the people of the UK, the leadership, way it was handled and enforcement was the difference. As for the other claims about the timing of the lockdown making no difference well epidemiologists, virologists and Sage disagree so I prefer to take their evidence backed up by data and reliable projections than the opinion of the epidemiologists and virologists springing up with social media diplomas.
    I'm still working full time mate so I haven't got time to go through every piece of information available. I'll bow to your superior knowledge.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Should have followed the Chinese response, with 3 deaths per 1m of population
    Do you really, really believe those numbers are correct when the Chinese Government jailed the doctor who publicly released the news about the Coronavirus epidemic originating in Wuhan because if you do you probably still believe the moon is made of green cheese as you were told in kids story time

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm still working full time mate so I haven't got time to go through every piece of information available. I'll bow to your superior knowledge.
    Then I suggest not finding the time to make up shit you haven't checked, try and discredit the person debunking it by saying they are talking waffle when they have checked their facts, I have time as I am self isolating as they left the schools open and my daughter bought home the virus to the family.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Then I suggest not finding the time to make up shit you haven't checked, try and discredit the person debunking it by saying they are talking waffle when they have checked their facts, I have time as I am self isolating as they left the schools open and my daughter bought home the virus to the family.
    Sorry. I thought the forum was a place I could exchange views and opinions. I'll wind my neck in.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry. I thought the forum was a place I could exchange views and opinions. I'll wind my neck in.
    Absolutely everyone has the right to their own opinion but they do not have the right to their own facts

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fuck me can I just condense this a bit.
    Those that voted for Boris can't and wont accept responsibility for THEIR choices.
    Those that voted for Boris used to love Piers Morgan - Now they call him a doom monger and have switched off.

Those that voted for Corbyn (Me) are fed up as fuck with seeing facts disputed as "opinion". The FACT is we have one of the highest death rates from this in the world....Not worried about death so save the economy....Nope this bunch can't even do that.
    It used to be when you did something "bad" if you were in power and got caught you would resign....Not in this government. They can literally kill people with their policies and you will get some turnip telling the world that nobody could do better.
    We don't do introspection any more, We don't do science, We have a vaccine or 5 on the way - half the cunts wont take it, the same half that can't wear a mask because their teacher shouted at them when they shat themselves when they were 6yo and now they have issues that mean they can't wear a fucking mask.

From about may time there has been a concerted government effort to ensure that they set the public up to fail. That way they could turn round when we see the "finish line" approach and say well we would have been much better if only the public had complied.

You know what the truth is in UK - Corbyn would have done better even if he was a Nazi loving jew killer/ira apologist/Russian infiltrator or Maoist.... I would have done better as if i needed ppe i would have went to companies that fucking deal in ppe not my brothers birds private equity firm.

Yeah its all sad poor old Boris was dealt a bad hand and all those that voted for him were totally correct and if it weren't for this pesky virus then we would be walking the streets of gold.

**Wee note to Tory voters - I have not abused you personally - It's ok to be wrong......but the first step to any problem is admitting there is a problem in the first place.

4 Thanks given to DavidF

Ashley (1 Week Ago), Bald Bouncer (1 Week Ago), beansontoast (1 Week Ago), neilb (1 Week Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Having read my post above you know Im sat here wondering if I'd rather have Trump - He could not have done any worse. That should sum it up.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    Having read my post above you know Im sat here wondering if I'd rather have Trump - He could not have done any worse. That should sum it up.
    Anything would be better than this useless workshy backstabbing cunt that's stealing a living in number ten. A living breathing clown that goes missing when the going gets even mildly tough. Plus he looks like he combs his hair by repeatedly rubbing it in one direction with a fucking balloon.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

4 Thanks given to beansontoast

Ashley (1 Week Ago), Bald Bouncer (1 Week Ago), DavidF (1 Week Ago), neilb (1 Week Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by icewarrior View Post
    Do you really, really believe those numbers are correct when the Chinese Government jailed the doctor who publicly released the news about the Coronavirus epidemic originating in Wuhan because if you do you probably still believe the moon is made of green cheese as you were told in kids story time
    No don't believe it in the slightest - it was said very much tongue in cheek but you can't believe most of the figures that are portrayed as facts!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

So, how are you guys doing in the UK during COVID? Personally, I'm just about hanging in there. The job retention scheme has kept my head above water, however the events industry has flat lined since March and the future does not look rosy. Generally, I feel that economies that based there success on industry, manufacturing and agriculture have faired better than economies that have based there success on house prices and financial services... What is most apparent, is that the UK, over the last 40 years, has developed the most liberal, mediocre, self serving, "sit on the fence merchant" type of politicians that have no comprehension of public service and leadership.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Social Networking Bookmarks