Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Router for SuperHub 3

VirminSuper hub 3 is just utter shit in everyway. HOW the fuck it passed quality control is anyones guess !
    Had enough so looking to put it into Modem mode & use a 3rd party router instead.

Is anyone else doing the same, & if so which router did you choose ?

After doing a lot of reading of reviews, im down to the following three make's so far.

Asus RT-AX58U AX3000 ?165 (I have bought many Asus Products for many years, this is my first choice.)
    ROUTEUR TP-LINK Archer AX50 ?167 (very popular and good reviews, but can run hot and the QOS looks kinda shit)
    NETGEAR Nighthawk 8-Stream AX8 ?280 (Fuckin' insane price, but love the O's on this)

All of the above all support Wifi 6, which if i can gona buy one, i may aswell get one that supports this (apparently) new standard.

DumaOs, will hopefully be eventually ported over to support other makes. Not be the makers i doubt, but probably via other means.

Links>

Asus >
    Spoiler:
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Tp link>
    Spoiler:

Netgear>
    Spoiler:

DumaOS for Netgear >
    Spoiler:
    Last edited by josweet; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:32 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Router for SuperHub 3

I use an Asus n900 flashed with tomato, its been excellent for years now, new have to faf and the range is excellent

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

Thanks to Nathz29

josweet (1 Week Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

I cant offer any support on what to buy, but my god is the Super HuB 3 Crap!!

I thought i was going absolutely mad when my Sonos just would not work, alexa wouldn't group anything and despite anything i did it would not play ball. Apparently its all down to the radio chip in the router which have know bugs which are not be addressed.

Dumped into modem mode and put a cheap ?45 TP Link router on it, all issues disappear straight away. Signal strength almost doubled and stability is now spot on.

Only thing i am pissed about now is powering the big box as well as the working router!

Thanks to grrrd

josweet (1 Week Ago) 

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I’d go for a mesh setup, I’ve had good experiences with all the kits I’ve tried ranging from the budget Tenda to the mid-range Ubiquiti. What will change is the features, range, throughout etc.

I have a Cisco Meraki setup and my virgin hub in modem mode but I only have this because it was free kit for internal use/training. I wouldn’t buy it for domestic as there’s a subscription cost to the platform.

Thanks to evilsatan

josweet (1 Week Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

my hub is connected it to a MicroTik router and use unify APs for Wi-Fi

works for me....... BTW WiFi 6E is the latest slandered, maybe wait for 6E

Thanks to Copex

josweet (1 Week Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have a Superhub 4 on the 1Gb connection and Wireless performance is problematic to say the least. Lucky to get 5Mbps around the house. Wired, absolutely spot on.

However, I purchased an Asus RT-AC86U and getup to 600Mbps depending on where I am in the house. It's also MESH compatible. So much better than the S-HUB 4 which sadly, hasn't improved the Wifi capability.

Thanks to dpSparhawk

josweet (1 Week Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

I found a good deal on an ASUS RT-AX88U router, so placed an order today. How the fook Virg can supply such unsuitable junk is beyond understanding.
    Finally, ill be able to port forward & itll actually work.

Thanks to josweet

dpSparhawk (1 Week Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have the ASUS RT-AX88U and its pretty good ! get a full 350 all around the house on wifi now ! but the hub3 even in modem only mode still drops out multiple times a day for in between minutes to hours ! sick of trying to get hold of someone from virgin so i`ve lodged a complaint with them to see if i get anywhere that way

Thanks to amstrad

josweet (1 Week Ago) 

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by amstrad View Post
    I have the ASUS RT-AX88U and its pretty good ! get a full 350 all around the house on wifi now ! but the hub3 even in modem only mode still drops out multiple times a day for in between minutes to hours ! sick of trying to get hold of someone from virgin so i`ve lodged a complaint with them to see if i get anywhere that way
    Good luck, I think the complaints just end up going to an unmonitored account, I opened some with them weeks ago and have heard nothing back and have messages I sent them throughout the past year still unanswered. Such a terrible company but there is no other service in my area with these speeds.

I get dropouts too in modem mode, they are usually quite short in length so I don't have enough time to properly diagnose what is causing the issue. When I look at my Meraki logs they show 100% uptime which made me wonder if it was the Virgin hub or not, but that's the most likely cause based on what other Virgin customers say.

Thanks
    Karma Level

You can report issue's over at the VM forums. It takes a few days for a VM Tech to get involved as some issue's are resolved by members.
    Spoiler:

Thanks
    Karma Level

New router is in, & i now understand what everyone meant by all the issues disappeared.
    Pages loading as they should in full, and buffering is gone. Everything has i proved.

Social Networking Bookmarks