Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Any suggestions on how I could improve my Home 4G BB speeds?

Hi guys, I live in a rural location and struggled with BT and Sky so decided to ditch them and go for 4G.

My current setup is as follows:

Three mobile all you can eat data sim. (working fine)

HUAWEI B528S-23A 4G Router: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

and a
    Poynting 4G-XPOL-A0002 Cross Polarised High Gain 4G Panel LTE Directional Outdoor Antenna

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Poynting-4G-XPOL-A0002-Polarised-Directional-Outdoor/dp/B00C1DGGKC

If I were to invest in a better router (or anything) am I likely to see an increase in speeds?

I've just done a speed test and I'm currently getting:

Ping: 102
    D/L 5.30mbps
    U/L 6.76mbps

These speeds vary quite a bit so I wondered if there is any better kit on the market that is likely to help? I'm sure when I first set this up a year ago I was getting 20+ mbps D/L speeds..

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

Many thanks

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Any suggestions on how I could improve my Home 4G BB speeds?

in your router settings does it tell you the signal strength? I use a TP-Link router with a Smarty sim(Three network) my signal strength according to the router is 75% and we get 20-30 down and 10-15 up with a ping of 50-60. Do you get any signal if you unplug the outdoor antenna and just use the supplied antennas?

Also have you tried putting the sim in a phone and doing a speed test?

Thanks to ss30

devs (3 Weeks Ago) 

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I don’t think a router will help as I doubt you are maxing the bandwidth of that router so it’s likely to be the signal strength that limiting you. Have you checked which direction to sim the antenna at? The Opensignal app on iOS can direct you to the closest mast.

I’m not sure how good your antenna is and how it compares to others, that might be your best bet in conjunction with fine tuning the direction.

Thanks to evilsatan

devs (3 Weeks Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm using an old Draytek 2830 + Huawei E398 and a Smarty SIM (using 3 network).

Connection is unstable - certain usage makes the connection always drop. If I plug the SIM direct into my laptop (Dell E6440 +DW5570 WWAN card) connection doesn't drop so much, but then I can only use the SIM in one laptop.

My download speeds vary between 5-20Mb. My guess is that network demand has a big impact.

Thanks to Over Carl

devs (3 Weeks Ago) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hey chaps and thanks for the replies. Sorry for the slight delay just back in the house now. I dragged myself out of bed early this morning and made a change to the router via huaCtrl and set the band to use 3 only. My download speeds have now increased to 24mbps so I'm a happy man! The uploads have dropped to 1.5mbps for some reason though. I'm strongly considering getting a new CAT18+ router to see if that will help things any.

Whats the difference between an all you can eat 3 sim and a 3 Smarty sim? I'm currently paying ?20pm

I've done a few test previously via my phone and get 45mbps nearer the mast. So I suppose if Im getting full bar 4G reception (I am) on the router from the same mast I should be achieving that speed if I had a more capable router? Is that correct?

Cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

Something I forgot to add. 4G (and higher end of 3g even) uses MIMO arrays to get full speed. That contradicts the idea of having a single directional antenna, but sometimes those can actually get better results then the MIMO array in practise. Few years ago managed to somehow get accidentally connected to a very senior tech who also understood that and could not explain that to provide any guidance.

Smarty give me "unlimited" - up to 1tb/month for around ?20pm. I'm not sure if 3 users get higher priority on the same network or not.

Unfortunately I always seem to get higher speeds from my phone, I suspect newer phones might have newer 4G transmitters/antennae to allow this but never bother to seriously test this out.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over Carl View Post
    I'm using an old Draytek 2830 + Huawei E398 and a Smarty SIM (using 3 network).

Connection is unstable - certain usage makes the connection always drop. If I plug the SIM direct into my laptop (Dell E6440 +DW5570 WWAN card) connection doesn't drop so much, but then I can only use the SIM in one laptop.

My download speeds vary between 5-20Mb. My guess is that network demand has a big impact.
    I had a similar issue with a similar setup this year. I had a Draytek 2830 and connected a 4G USB Huawei dongle (from the compatibility list) and a 4G EE sim. As soon as I turned it all on it would establish a connection and could access WAN but shortly after it would drop until rebooted. I spoke to the network who confirmed my config was all ok, ended up giving up and buying a TP-Link 4G router which has been working perfectly since. Not sure what the issue was though, it seemed to me that the network was dropping the connection but they said that wasn’t the case.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by devs View Post
    Hey chaps and thanks for the replies. Sorry for the slight delay just back in the house now. I dragged myself out of bed early this morning and made a change to the router via huaCtrl and set the band to use 3 only. My download speeds have now increased to 24mbps so I'm a happy man! The uploads have dropped to 1.5mbps for some reason though. I'm strongly considering getting a new [FONT="]CAT18+ [/FONT]router to see if that will help things any.

Whats the difference between an all you can eat 3 sim and a 3 Smarty sim? I'm currently paying ?20pm

I've done a few test previously via my phone and get 45mbps nearer the mast. So I suppose if Im getting full bar 4G reception (I am) on the router from the same mast I should be achieving that speed if I had a more capable router? Is that correct?

Cheers
    I think Smarty still have a deal on for ?15 unlimited data, monthly rolling but 12 months max then goes to ?20. Not sure if Three prioritise traffic but I’d expect you to get good speeds, I just set this up for a temp network at a new office I’m managing whilst I plan their network.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Another thought - pfsense+ usb dongle.

Bit more hardware (and noise/power drain).

But then you get a very configurable router. Been a while since I played but I remember setting up squid - that could cache large files so next time I try to download the same thing I might get it from cache instead of waiting to download again

Social Networking Bookmarks