Close

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Games not enough comedy in PC games

the funniest game, and one of the most fun games that i ever played is Conker's Bad Fur Day for the N64. Don't any of you guys ever wish the PC industry would create something along these lines? I truly think that most PC games take themselves way too seriously. It would be nice to play a quality game that made you pause it because you were laughing out loud. You would think that sales alone of this game would indicate a market for it. Jesus, even leisure suit larry was king in its day, but unfortunately, we haven't seen anything in a few years. it's about time the industry stops thinking that PC gamers only want standard FPS's, RPG's or RTS type games. Any comments (and flames I'm sure)?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Probably the games I got the most fun out of was the Discworld series (based on Terry Pratchet's novels). The comedy is very classy, and requires a certain type of finness to understand it all, but I found Discworlds I and II utterly hilarious, though I never played Discworld Noir... Looked crap.

- Kiz

Thanks
    Karma Level

oh i dont know...i reckon the majority of fps shooters are quite funny ...the way they portray america as being the worlds saviour..when we all know america has the biggest terrorist government in the world and nine times out of ten dont hit the target in the wars they start...usually a wedding/funeral or other innocent event...LOL

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by Reg67
    oh i dont know...i reckon the majority of fps shooters are quite funny ...the way they portray america as being the worlds saviour..when we all know america has the biggest terrorist government in the world and nine times out of ten dont hit the target in the wars they start...usually a wedding/funeral or other innocent event...LOL
    OOOO geez reg, you have a point...but im a polics thread or a political website, let alone on a website devoted to video games and in a comedy thread. i think you need a chill pill and take out your frustrations on another web site or in some pretentious cafe like i do. and BTW, i'm not american.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by d00n

OOOO geez reg, you have a point...but im a polics thread or a political website, let alone on a website devoted to video games and in a comedy thread. i think you need a chill pill and take out your frustrations on another web site or in some pretentious cafe like i do. and BTW, i'm not american.
    yes you could be right mate...ill chill out a bit..just a bit pissed off at the way the yank army can murder anyone they want and get away with it

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by Reg67

yes you could be right mate...ill chill out a bit..just a bit pissed off at the way the yank army can murder anyone they want and get away with it
    yeah i hear ya, its even worse if you think of the political sanctions (which get less hype then the war hype does). for example: cuba (nuff said) and canada soft lumber dispute. they have a habbit of clamping down and penalizing other countries just so they can make a couple of bucks at other countries expense. some of the rules that they brake are ones they had a hand in inventing... like NAFTA. and lets not talk about the whole thing with the UN and the new war tribunal thingy... yikes, now i need a chill pill.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I miss LucasArts in the Adventure world! they were master

Monkey Island, Full Throttle, you call it

the reason why you don't see many comedy in games is actually because there are hardly any adventures coming anymore

Thanks
    Karma Level

hehe... i never said i had a normal sense of humor but

there's plenty of comedy in pc games. like the shit swirling around gaming, most of it is unintentionally funny but it's definitely there..

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by freeze
    hehe... i never said i had a normal sense of humor but

there's plenty of comedy in pc games. like the shit swirling around gaming, most of it is unintentionally funny but it's definitely there..
    I hear ya! just wondering about the specifics that you are reffering to?

Thanks
    Karma Level

the serious sam games tried to be funny.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by sauce
    the serious sam games tried to be funny.
    they "tried" to, but they were nothing compared to the original duke nukem.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by d00n

I hear ya! just wondering about the specifics that you are reffering to?
    do you want to know a game i found unintentionally funny? Youll have to narrow it down - absurdity while taking itself too seriously being just one example.

Do you want to know something similar about the industry? Surely you don't need my help here

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by freeze

do you want to know a game i found unintentionally funny? Youll have to narrow it down - absurdity while taking itself too seriously being just one example.

Do you want to know something similar about the industry? Surely you don't need my help here
    i don't care dude, go ahead, just list some off for kicks...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nice topic, cheers for the starter to come up with an interesting "non-list" discussion

Indeed I enjoyed Monkey Islands, Larrys, and everything else but recently the only game that had a bit of humour once in a while was Max Payne - I really loved hearing two Generic Bad Guys talking about wife and kids just before Max came in shooting; or the phone call from himself telling him he's the star of a computer game and the horrible conclusions - "The endless shooting... eternal repetition ... "

Thanks
    Karma Level

I remember me laughing with Simon the Sorcerer 2.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The only real genre which could be comedy based (other than the 'addition of comedy if fps, etc') was adventures.

And with adventures being such bad marketing - selling horrible and 'the time of their death' you can't expect there to be all that many.

Most adventures coming out now a days are serious adventures anyway like syberia, but its not 'this day' anymore - adventures always had serious games.

hmm..

Thanks
    Karma Level

the last game that made me laugh was warcraft3 when you clicked your units a shitload of times they said quite funny stuff

Thanks
    Karma Level

Oh jeez, no one mentions Grim Fandango? Lucas arts made that too.

One hilarious game. I am playing it again right now.
    Its an adventure, your a hell's minion, you have to sell "rides" to dead people. Your basically a salesman with a sythe sp? and an odd sense of humor.

You can do/say some hilarious things.
    The game is made to be funny, and crude.
    Well worth playing. Cracks me up (and I'm 25)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Actually there were a few points in the Warcraft 3 outtakes that I thought were amusing. Like when these two red dragons ruin a film shoot, kill everyone... One of the victims says "the goggles, they do nothing!" (Simpsons quote). Or this human guy says "who is your daddy and what does he do?" out of the blue, then an orc sings "I can see clearly now the rain is gone."
    It's the little things that are amusing, but yes, we do need more comedy in games in general... After all, this is just in the outtakes.

- Kiz

Thanks
    Karma Level

Grim Fandango was the last game that made me laugh.... many more made me cry...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast