Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default problem with my mobo?

ok this morning i woke up and turned the comp on, i heard these long beeps and it would not load. the problem was because the memories didnt go in the mobo compelty. i fixed that, and booted up again. the bios detected the video card the cpu and the memory, but it would freeze there, i mean, it wouldnt check for the ide drives. it would just hang there and i cant get on the bios either wen i press the DEL key. i cleared the CMOC and restart, same thing happend. any ideas? is it maybe the mobo is messed up?

my mobo is a soyo dragon with via kt266 chipset and xp1800+ cpu.

thanks

Thanks
    Karma Level

Disconnect all your IDE devices and see if you can boot to a floppy. If that works, start connecting your IDE devices one at a time until the system fails to start.

If you can't connect any IDE devices, then it would sounds like your IDE controller is toast.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Try taking out certain memory chips and trying it then. A couple different combinations might solve it. Also make sure if you have a motherboard that supports two types of memory (like ASUS A7A266 -> DDR & SDRAM) you only have one type of memory in there.

Thanks
    Karma Level

tried both ideas didnt work, and my mobo only supports DDR ram

Thanks
    Karma Level

So it still beeps with no drives? Does the floppy do anything? How many beeps, how long? The soyo manual will list everything to check in the troubleshooting section.

Is the power supply OK? Keyboard connected?

Try disconnecting anything else not necessary. (CD, DVD, nic)

Thanks
    Karma Level

it doesnt beep, only once wen its detecting the video card

i disconected the cdrw, dvd, and the sound card, and took out 2 sticks of the memory, same thing. i only have the hard drive, cpu and the video card connected. i tried clearing the cmoc again, it detects the hard drive and goes to the next page where i get to select either safe, normal or last known good config that worked screen. the comp freezes no matter with one i pick. wen i restart the comp after it freezes, same problem happens. its not trying to detect the IDE drives.

plz help

Thanks
    Karma Level

Replace that POS MB with an MSI one and move on...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Soyo motherboards are not pieces of shit.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by Łogic
    Soyo motherboards are not pieces of shit.
    Oh, sorry, I'll rephase that:

Get rid of that POC MB, and get a MSI board.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Seriously dude, Soyo motherboards come with lots of features and do nice on the benchmarks. No reason to call em pieces of crap. I don't think the problem is with the motherboard.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by Łogic
    Seriously dude, Soyo motherboards come with lots of features and do nice on the benchmarks. No reason to call em pieces of crap. I don't think the problem is with the motherboard.
    Just because they have lots of features and they look good on benchmarking sites doesn't mean they are the best boards around.

They have a high failure rate, tons of RMA's, lots of people have problems with them. They are basicly a crap shoot when getting one.

Soyo is only interested in producing quantity, not quality.

As for the motherboard problem in question, you can can't get the system to attempt to boot off a floppy drive WITHOUT any HD's connected, it's probably a failed motherboard.

Try only having the memory, CPU and video card hooked up. You won't have any bootable devices, but see how far it will go.

Thanks
    Karma Level

You're right then. But when you just say

Replace that POS MB with an MSI one and move on...
    that doesn't help/mean much.

Thanks
    Karma Level

One of your HD's might be dead. This happened to me with my IBM, and it would also just cause the BIOS to just sit there w/out detecting any IDE drives. Also, Abit & Asus simply own MSI.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by rogue3092
    Also, Abit & Asus simply own MSI.
    lol, call a retailer and check the RMA rates..

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by Wyld Tyme

Just because they have lots of features and they look good on benchmarking sites doesn't mean they are the best boards around.

so very very true

this is the 2nd soyo motherboard im having problems with, my other soyo motherboard started not working with my keyboard, i replaced it with a tyan motherboard. it was the exact oposite of the soyo. poor on features, high on stability. tyans r good motherboards too.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have been looking into getting an Abit motherboard and was wondering if these are good boards or do they suck shit?

Thanks
    Karma Level

uhh lol msi? u must be an MSI fanboy dude. i cant believe u think all other companies are crap! MSI aint that good either..

i think u should think about epox 8k5a2+ or 8k5a3+ mobos with KT333 and newest shouth bridge chipset too, that's used with the new KT400.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by ooo yahh
    uhh lol msi? u must be an MSI fanboy dude. i cant believe u think all other companies are crap! MSI aint that good either..

i think u should think about epox 8k5a2+ or 8k5a3+ mobos with KT333 and newest shouth bridge chipset too, that's used with the new KT400.
    I don't think ALL other companies are crap, but from my experiences building PC's (Athlon based PC's that is) for myself and other people, here's what's happened:

Asus: 2 motherboards, both died
    Abit: 1 motherboard, took 3 RMA's to get a working one
    ECS: 1 motherboard, surpisingly still working
    MSI: 5 motherboards, all still functioning
    FIC: 3 motherboards, 2 died, 1 still working
    Epox: 0, never messed with them since they had some AGP problems noted in the tech forums

So, based on my previous track records, yes I would and still do recommend MSI.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by Wyld Tyme

I don't think ALL other companies are crap, but from my experiences building PC's (Athlon based PC's that is) for myself and other people, here's what's happened:

Asus: 2 motherboards, both died
    Abit: 1 motherboard, took 3 RMA's to get a working one
    ECS: 1 motherboard, surpisingly still working
    MSI: 5 motherboards, all still functioning
    FIC: 3 motherboards, 2 died, 1 still working
    Epox: 0, never messed with them since they had some AGP problems noted in the tech forums

So, based on my previous track records, yes I would and still do recommend MSI.
    i grant ya one thing... ECS sux and i never liked ASUS

but about what u said about epox with AGP problems, that's NOT because of the AGP slot.. its that the gf4ti4600 was TOO long that it was touching the motherboard itself which made electricity conflits.. and that's with the old 8K3a+ mobo... and now all those probs were fixed...

and FIC wtf is fic?
    what about gigabyte soyo and other big companies?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by ooo yahh

i grant ya one thing... ECS sux and i never liked ASUS

but about what u said about epox with AGP problems, that's NOT because of the AGP slot.. its that the gf4ti4600 was TOO long that it was touching the motherboard itself which made electricity conflits.. and that's with the old 8K3a+ mobo... and now all those probs were fixed...

and FIC wtf is fic?
    what about gigabyte soyo and other big companies?
    FIC? http://www.fica.com/

They were one of the best manufacturers for SS7 motherboards. Unfortunately, their quality didn't pass along to they Socket A boards.

EPOX, their newer boards may be better, but if you visit forums like Rage3D, just search for EPOX. It wasn't just the GF4 that had problems and it wasn't just the length of the board. The last few EPOX boards were just unstable pieces of crap. You shouldn't need to tinker with every little thing just to have a stable system. It should be that way out of the box.

Gigabyte? I've heard mixed comments, but never used them. Soyo, are a hit and miss. *IF* you can get one that works, things are fine however their manufacturing leaves a little to be desired. Check D33ZNU7Z's message above.

ECS, as much as I would like to hate them, I can't. Their board has performed flawlessly for me so far, and much longer than any Asus board. However, they aren't robust overclocking systems, but I'm talking more about stability than options. What uses is a system if you are BSOD'ing all day?