Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Windows XP installation problem

When I put in the CD and boot up the computer, it detects it in DOS and says "press any key to start intallation" or something like that. I press a key, and it just has this flashing cursor for a long time. I can't even restart the computer in DOS after that, it freezes. So I tried installing Windows 2000 by starting with the 4 boot disks. I got into installation, it started formatting the drive. Somewhere in the 90% range it tells me it cannot complete formatting because the hard drive is corrupted or something ridiculous like that. When I had XP on (I was trying to reinstall), it wouldn't let me install any games or even any programs, I always got some fucked up error. What the fuck is going on?

Thanks
    Karma Level

maybe it's as simple as your HD has just crashed? try installing on another drive maybe?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by emperor_a
    maybe it's as simple as your HD has just crashed? try installing on another drive maybe?
    How does a HD crash? Is their any way to fix it?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Something might be wrong with the hard drive, try replacing it for a while to see if that's the problem.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I took off the case then wiggled some wires and shit, and now it formatted. But, now when it is installing Windows it fucks around and says that files on the CD are corrupted. I think that my CD-ROM is fucked. FUCK.

Thanks
    Karma Level

FUCKING FUCKER. That little son of a bitch. I put in the Windows XP CD to boot from so it will install it, so it gets into the fucking installation and starts copying files. Then, this little asshole, decides to tell me that some fucking file is "corrupt" or "missing". I even re-burned the disc to make sure it didn't have any scratches. The thing is, it's a different file that is "missin" or "corrupt" every time. Sometimes it will get pretty far into the process of copying files (this is the initial copying of files, it copies the files that are to be used to start installation).

Thanks
    Karma Level

Try the cd on other cd-drive if possible. I guess your drive could be screwed..(?) Have you tried burning the cd with lower burning speed?

Soppa

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've had probelms like that. I tried reinstalling WinXP without reformatting and I made my settings (c:\documents and Settings\Account\*) "hidden" (when I installed XP first) which made them unaccessible from other OSs or other accounts, but as you see it caused problems because it simply couldn't be erased and made problems for next WinXP installations. So maybe try completely formatting the drive. Also you should try wiping your CD with a wet cloth starting from the inside of the CD to the outside.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by Łogic
    I've had probelms like that. I tried reinstalling WinXP without reformatting and I made my settings (c:\documents and Settings\Account\*) "hidden" (when I installed XP first) which made them unaccessible from other OSs or other accounts, but as you see it caused problems because it simply couldn't be erased and made problems for next WinXP installations. So maybe try completely formatting the drive. Also you should try wiping your CD with a wet cloth starting from the inside of the CD to the outside.
    Yeah, it's a brand new CD so it couldn't be dirty.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Strange. I used my old Windows 2000 CD (the one that originally didn't work, before I wiggled some wires) and it is installing now. Thanks for the help, dudes.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by RDSFSU2002
    Strange. I used my old Windows 2000 CD (the one that originally didn't work, before I wiggled some wires) and it is installing now. Thanks for the help, dudes.
    So everything was ok after you wiggled your wire ? So many jokes so little time....

Thanks
    Karma Level

I beleive you have a bad memory stick in there... I had the EXACT same problem.. Removing one of the sticks of mem and only using one fixed the prob for me.. I take it this is new ram.. How many sticks are you running.. I'm 99.5% sure this is a corupted data issue caused by faulty ram..

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by RDSFSU2002

How does a HD crash? Is their any way to fix it?
    i don't exactly know how it crashes, but i know that it can. If the HD has crashed, you can recover the files, but that is pretty expensive, and mostly companies with much of worth on the HD would pay for it.

Exactly which wires did you wiggle with? You could have short circuit the mobo causing your memory or any other component to fail, which could cause this problem.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes indeed i had the same problem too and i fixed it! I also thought that this was caused by a bad cd but it was not! If you have more than 1 memory stick then try using 1 stick and see if the system boots then try the other stick after and see if it boots too! this way you'll be able to see wich memory stick is defect. Now you'll just have to replace the non working memory or you can still install xp using one stick!