Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Help installing windows

I been trying to install windows for a new pc but i keep getting errors:

Winxp- when i try to install winxp, i dont get to the isntall portion but when the blue screen is checking for system hardware configuration i get ethier cdrom.sys is corrupted, dmio.sys is corrupted, or tftsport.sys is corrupted. and i cant get to install winxp, i have no idea what the problem is. i tried two different winxp disks, these disks worked before.

I also tried win 2000, it gets passed the checking hardware configuration, and it actually begins to install, but then when it hits 6% it says SOME FILE cant be copied press esc to skip or enter to continue, if i skip i get more files cant install, so basically i cant install it.

I tried everyting and dont know what else to do. i tried 3 diff mobo, 2 cpu. and 4 different cdrom drives. what could be the problem. they are cheap mobo though but i have no idea why it wont install windows.

Thanks
    Karma Level

if it's the hard drive try format /s c:

Thanks
    Karma Level

I suffered a similar problem when trying to install win98se on a newly put together system. I could get to 68% install then a message would tell me that the cd could not be read and to try cleaning it.I tried, in this order, a newly burned copy of 98se (made from my original setup files, not a copy of the cd that was giving probs), a different cd reader and new ide cables. No way could I get it past 68% install.
    I used the same equipment and disc in a different comp and it would install without incident.
    I believe the problem was somehow related to the mobo ide drivers (lex bn815ep pro) and the only way I got around it was to copy the contents of the cd to my hardive from within dos and run the install from C:\
    Since then I've had no probs with reading cd's at all, even when prompted to insert the win98se one.
    Try copying the install files to your hardive.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Try completely reformatting the drive you are going to install WinXP on.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i tried formating couple times already, that didnt work, its the cds i use, i want to install xp but its not working, soome ppl say to press f6 when windows promt you to, for the scisi raid thingy, but then it ask for a disk, which i do not have, and some ppl say it is the ram, i dont know

Thanks
    Karma Level

At the beginning of the Windows installation, It says something like "Press Fx for third party raid drivers", press the key and see if it works.

Thanks
    Karma Level

yea i press f6 but then it asked for a floppy disk which the mobo dont come with, only a cdrom, but it doesnt prompt for cdrom.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The only reason you ever need to use the F6 feature is if you want to install the OS on a hard drive that is attached to an ATA card or another type of SCSI bus. In those cases, you need a custom driver loaded so setup can see your HD. If your hard drive is on a typical onboard IDE channel, you shouldn't have to do this. If Windows can see your hard drive and begin the install, this is probably not the problem.

Are you running a clean install method, or loading the current OS first? You said you had reformatted, but did you try booting the Windows CD directly, by enabling CDROM boot before HD boot in the CMOS setup, inserting the CD, and rebooting? This way you can delete and create a brand new partition. If you were reformatting but keeping the same old partition, that might make a difference.

Thanks
    Karma Level

What motherboard are you using?

Some of the older motherboards didn't work well with ACPI enabled. Usually installing any NT core OS (Win NT/2K/XP) while having ACPI enabled on those motherboards caused the installation to fail.

Try disabling ACPI in your BIOS under "Power Management" and then installing the OS. See if that helps.

If you really want it, you can enabled it again after the OS is installed (should this actually work for you).

Thanks
    Karma Level

can i get more suggestions please?

Thanks
    Karma Level

if you are using the same IDE cable, try a different one. I've had forked IDE cables cause the weirdest problems. Another thing: memory. Make sure it's good. Another thing: power supply; make sure it's powerful enough. These all cause the weirdest problems when not working right.

Thanks
    Karma Level

...Did you try to simply delete all partitions, make new ones and format them?...

Thanks
    Karma Level

thnak you guys for all your help, but i bought some new ram and tried it and it worked fine now. thanks a lot, i guess i had ram defects

Thanks
    Karma Level

So many RAM problems now-a-days. What brand did you have, and what brand did you get?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Wow, I've never had this problem...My RAM seems to be fine, and I don't plan on getting better one any time soon, but it still would be good to know what not to buy.

Thanks
    Karma Level

it was some cheap no name sdram off pricewatch. this is my first whack experience off pricewatch, ordered from mutiple sites different parts, the burner was a defect and the cheap no name brand was a defect. those sites sell crap. but soem are reall good though. ah oh well.