Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default pioneer dvr ao4 firmware

hello. i bought a pioneer dvr ao4 and checked the firmware in control panel system device properties. it was firmware revision 1.30 the info i read said that you need to have higher than 1.20 firmware to use high speed media without problems. the latest firmware to download is 1.32 what i was wondering was if anyone could confirm that using 1.30 firmware would work with the new high speed media without having problems. i don't really want to have to perform a firmware update. if 1.30 works ok with high speed media i will leave it at 1.30. any help would be great.
    cheers.

Thanks
    Karma Level

just to be on the safe side upgrade it to its latest firmware.. its not that hard anyways..

:^)

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think they jumped from 1.20 [my old firmware] to 1.30 to alow 4x media usage [only prevents drive damage, not 4x speeds mind you]. No clue about 1.32 changes, but 1.30 does it. There should be some 'version changes/fixes' text that came with the file. Read it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I bought this writer as well recently and you need the 1.32 firmware to burn those 4x media.

Thanks
    Karma Level

U should go to the flash-firmware forum, it explains the move very good. Newer firmwares restrict the drive to record at 1X on a lot of media, its simply business.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i'm confused. some people say i need 1.32 for new 4x media. other people say i don't need to upgrade because 1.30 has solved the overheating problem. 1.30 has worked fine for me with the media i've used so if it solves the overheating problem i will stick with 1.30. but i'm getting mixed responses here and at the flash firmware forum. can anyone please confirm once and for all if 1.30 is safe for 4x media.
    cheers.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not sure, just get the hacked new firmware from that forum, and besides, I think that 1.34 or 1.33 is already out. I think they hacked 1.32 to write an all capable media at 2X.

Thanks
    Karma Level

the problem with getting the latest firmware though is that theres a lot of people getting problems with 1.32 1.33 and so on. i know that 1.30 works well for me and if 1.30 does not have the overheating problem with 4x media i will stick with it because i know that it works great for me so far.
    cheers.

Thanks
    Karma Level

What kind of problems? I use the 1.32 firmware and I can burn 1x or 2x, never any problems in Prassi PrimoDVD 2.0.

I think most problems come from people trying to burn cheap media at 2x and then wondering why it isn't working properly. Only burn cheap discs at 1x and it won't fail.

To the firmware issue, I know 1.32 was specificly released to solve the overheating problems so you should just flash it with that or later version.

Just read this page, you can download the update there as well:
    http://www.pioneer-eur.com/eur/suppo...support/update

Updating really isn't that hard so you shouldn't worry about it. All you have to do is download the update, double click on it and it works.

Thanks
    Karma Level

can someone post url about flash-firmware ? I dont know this forum

Thanks
    Karma Level

DVR-A04 / DVR-104 drives with a firmware version equal to or later than 1.30 do not require the update. i read this at the pioneer website have pioneer got the wrong info on the website.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The latest is version 1.33 and it is already "fixed" for region-free and 2x write on all capable media. Works a treat.

Thanks
    Karma Level

another problem i have is that i don't know if my drive is oem or not. when i run chkrw it gives me this result.

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-104
    Current Revision : 1.30
    Release Date : 02/05/31
    Model : Pioneer or Generic 3rd party model
    Serial Number : BHEA901558WL

This firmware is not the latest version.
    The firmware needs to be updated.

i thought program was supposed to tell if the drive is oem or not. but there is nothing definate in the info. i'm sure i read that it's not possible to flash a oem drive.
    cheers.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Man, what kind of sources do you listen to

OEM just means that the drive came bundled with some software to create DVD's, the opposite of bulk which means you got just the drive without any software.

In either case, it's still the same burner, wheter it's oem or bulk. You can flash it with the A04 firmware without problems.

Thanks
    Karma Level

sorry but i'm new to this. i'm sure i read on the pioneer site that if you have a oem drive the firmware numbers may vary. i got my drive without box or software so i was not sure. if what you say is the case i should have no trouble upgrading firmware. i've checked the pioneer site again and it does definatly say that as long as the firmware is above 1.20 then it is safe to use so i'm not sure whether to upgrade to be on the safe side or what.