Close

Thread: No startup with

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default No startup with

I'll start off with system specs:

Packard Bell PC (Iconnect series)

512 mb RAM

Via MS-6340 motherboard with an onboard ProSavage chip (Via chipset VT82C686B)

AMD 800 MHz processor

Hercules 3D Prophet II MX 64mb

Bios version: V3.2B3

WinXP with all updates

Now, for the problem... I had problems with my prophet which kept on saying I had only 32mb of Ram. Then I updated to Nvidia det. drivers to 40.81 (I think) and then all was grand for a while. Then I noticed problems with my DVD rom (sound was crackly and seeming held back by a slow picture output) and tried a variety of fixes, including updating my BIOS. Then, within a matter of days, I was playing a game demo when my computer turned off, with no output and both the green and orange lights on my PC on. I tried rebooting and the lights came on and stayed on with no perceivable boot up. THEN I unplugged the card and plugged it back in. The system booted. I was happy and so I didn't change anything more on my PC.

Then, a couple of days later, same problem occured with another game. I tried the same trick, and the PC still didn't boot. I almost gave up when it all of a sudden worked. I was happy again.

Finally it's had the same problem with no amount of unplugging working. Now I'm working off my onboard video card (8mbs! Lord almighty!) and so I tried everything. I downgraded my BIOS and updated... nothing worked. At one point, when I left the PC off for a while and plugged in the card, there was 8 beeps from it and no boot up. Rebooted AGAIN, 8 beeps. This happened quite a few times. And then, a couple of times, 9 beeps. And a few 10s before I went back to the newer BIOS and there were no beeps, but also no boot-up.

I'd just like to know your thoughts on the problem and/or a solution. Thanks for reading...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Your video card could be damaged. Solution - buy a new one

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sounds like your card was overclocked and shut down your computer when it got to hot. But then since you kept using it when it cooled it finally fried it. Try it in another PC.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Would this 'frying' be visable?