I thought I'd post about my Matrix experience. Hopefully some of you guys will be able to use the info in here...

My biggest problem was my Xbox wouldn't read any kind of CD-rw I tried. I read a tutorial on temporarily putting your PC DVD-drive onto the Xbox to read your CD-r's. Problem is, I don't have a PC DVD-drive and I wasn't about to go blow $60 or whatever to get a new one. On a whim, I took some old Acer 32x CD-ROM I had lying around, flipped it to "Slave", connected the IDE cable and a 4-pin power cable (spliced from the hd power), and it worked! EvoX booted and I was laughing.

Next I bought a WD 120GB drive to put in my Xbox. I backed everything from the original drive to my PC and then took it out. I put in my new HD, booted up with an EvoX format CD and no problems. I have my 120cfm 92mm fan blowing down onto my hard drive so there should be no risk over overheating (yes, there's a hole in the top of my Xbox).

Right now I'm just messing around with EvoX... Maybe later I'll install Linux.

If you take one thing out of this, do the CD drive trick if your Xbox can't read CD-rw's. It's SUPER easy and makes more sense than messing around with 8 different types of CD-rw's trying to get one to work.

Peace.