Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Cable Modem Router Recommendations for Use with XBOX Live?

I know xbox.com has a list of routers (brand and model) they recommend on their xbox live page but I'm wondering if anyone has actually used any of those yet. I'm gonna be gettin my xbox live kit in about 3 days and want to be adequately prepared. From their list, I was thinking about this one becuase it is teh brand that has the most xbox-live-compatible models:

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/RP614.asp

This is xbox live's list:

http://www.xbox.com/LIVE/connect/routers.htm

Also, I will need an extra long ethernet cable and am not too familiar with which brands/model are appropriate for this so I was wondering if people has recommendations and wouldn't mind commenting on this suggestion:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...FNetworking%2F

Thanks
    Karma Level

ok a few things, im on xbox live now, and i can tell you that netgear routers have problems... i own a netgear rp114 model and i does not work at all on xbox, i can tell you that i bought a cheap dlink model dl-604 and it works flawlessly, also that cable is the wrong kind, that is a crossover cable and will now work you just need a plain cat 5 cable, may ire commend these http://www.meritline.com/networkcable.html
    good solid cables and cheap price makes it a great deal, im using those cables also and by the way once ya get up online get ready to be smoked by me on motogp good luck on your setup.

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks for the recommendations man. I bought the dl-704p and the wire from meritline. cheerz.

Thanks
    Karma Level

get a linksys BEFSR41 that is the one i preferrer cuz im on xbox connect all the time and i used many different routers and hubs and i personally think the BEFSR41 performes the best out off of them i have tried which is around 20

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by snowbabe
    ok a few things, im on xbox live now, and i can tell you that netgear routers have problems... i own a netgear rp114 model and i does not work at all on xbox, i can tell you that i bought a cheap dlink model dl-604 and it works flawlessly, also that cable is the wrong kind, that is a crossover cable and will now work you just need a plain cat 5 cable, may ire commend these http://www.meritline.com/networkcable.html
    good solid cables and cheap price makes it a great deal, im using those cables also and by the way once ya get up online get ready to be smoked by me on motogp good luck on your setup.
    great to hear! i ordered my di-604 today for 24.95 from OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you've already got a wireless router/switch in your home network somewhere, I'd go with something like the Linksys WET11 for the Xbox - a wireless bridge from your Xbox to your network and cable modem. I've got a Linksys wireless router w/ 4-port switch that I use to network my 2 desktops and the wireless laptop, and right now I've just got a 20-ft. cat-5 cable strung from that across the living room to the Xbox. I'm seriously considering slapping the WET11 on the Xbox side, although $100 just to get rid of the cable across the floor is kinda hard to justify.

Thanks
    Karma Level

just put your xbox on dmz port and should work fine thus no need to worry about any ports to forward or anything.