Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default What the best way to register your website with serach engines?

Hi Guys, Could some say whats the best way to register my website with Google and Yahoo. I've tried a website called simplesubmit.com but that was months ago and my website still isn't on Google or Yahoo.

thanx,

DeltamdX

Thanks
    Karma Level

i heard about one called www.espotting.com but i think you have to pay?

Thanks
    Karma Level

1. Find people with a simlar site to yours and ask them to link to you (this will give you a better ranking when google picks your site up)
    2. Submit your site to the relevant catagory at www.dmoz.org, when the editor has added your site give it a few months and your site will appear in many many other search engines that use dmoz content.
    3. When you have your site listed at dmoz submit your site to google for their spider to crawl to your site. When google picks your site up you will also be listed in the yahoo searche engine. But if you want to be in the yahoo directory you have to pay for that but imo it isn't worth it.

Also ensure that you have many keyword rich content throughout your site as this will also help you alot. Search engine submission is a very timly process but will be worth it in the end if you take your time and do things right.

P.S. Stay away from the submit your site to hundreds of search engine programs and sites because they are crap and can get your site blocked from some search engines.

gernBOT

i agree mostly with mark apart from i found that SUBMITWOLF PRO (www.trellian.com) which you have to pay for works well.

the problem people often have is oversubmitting and then the search engines do penalise you and can remove your url

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd agree with Mark, but say that the most important thing to do is get your site in tip top shape in the first place before you even start to register the site with SE's.

Make sure you have your keywords and descriptions for each of your pages ok, make them different and relevant to each individual page if you have time and also make sure the content of your page has your keywords repeated in it. Make sure your images have useful, relevant alt tags (mouseover labels) and try to link to your other pages in your site through text links if possible to aid SE spidering.

Then when thats all done, submit your site manually.

Yahoo will only list your site in the main directory free if it is not for profit and they check every site manually. Submit your site to them once a month only, any more times than that and they will get pissed off with you and not list you.

DMOZ is the best place to start to get listed in a lot of the search engines and Google uses thier results too. You probably should manually submit to Google directly as well.

If your site doesn't get listed, you're going to need to make some changes to your pages and keywords and stuff then re-submit. The long and short of it is simply trial and error, if you dont get listed change something and try again it will get listed eventually.

It can take anywhere between 2 weeks and 3 or 4 months for you to get listed.

One other automated service you can try is www.esato.com/submit but you should manually submit to both Yahoo and DMOZ.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Theres an excellent article here http://www.designplace.org/tutorials.php?page=1&c_id=12 that might be useful to you!

Thanks
    Karma Level

who wrote that article I wonder.

Yahoo takes forever, plus, listings are moderated by human editors so they may not approve your listing.

Try to get your site listed on other websites, such as directories specific to the type of content your site offers, that way google should crawl your links a bit quicker than waiting for the submit to happen.

If you create a site and don't have many or any inbound links it can take up to 3 months before you start to see any search engine listings, depends how friendly the robots are feeling.

A post above says you need to pay to be in the yahoo directory, this isnt true because you don't have to pay. I didn't pay and i've been listed! You can speed yahoo up by paying a non-refundable 299USD to get listed in 7 days (instead of more like 7 months by the free addition), but unless you have real money to burn and are as impatient as hell this is not really worthwhile.

Being listed at dmoz means you are also in the google directory (which is powered by dmoz) - these directories are mirrored on all kinds of other sites over the web, which creates more links, which creates better page rank, so its definitely worth getting listed in the yahoo directory, or attempting to at least - just make sure you find the most relevant category you can.
    Last edited by designplace; 29th December 2002 at 02:10 AM.