Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Training for the mere mortal.

I've trained on & off now for about 18 to 19 years and like a lot of people I read all the magazines and took all the supplements under the sun when I first started. I clearly remember buying (or should I say wasting my money on ) the "Cybergenics" supplement and training package when it first emerged with the adverts featuring Franco Santoriello going from weed to hulk.

Now what i can tell you from all these years experience is this, training properly and effectively is f**cking hard work and no supplement (legal that is) under the sun is going to make it any easier. Also if you beleive that the pro bodybuilders in the mags got their physique using the supplements they advertise then you are sorely mistaken, steroids and other such substances in very large amounts are almost soley responsible (along with outstanding gentics) for their freakish apperance. If you want to take supplements then a multi-vitamin mineral tablet and high quality protein powder are all you really need.

Forget 6 day a week double split routines with pre-exhaust, pyramiding sets etc etc. I tried all these many years ago with no success. Effective training for the ordinary bloke is not rocket science, it should consist of mainly the big three: Bench Press, Squats and Deadlift (free weights being better than machines), with some additionals like calf raise, military press, crunches etc although the entire routine should probably be no more than about 7 or 8 exercises. Concentration curls and leg extensions are going to do nothing for a 7 stone weakling, these are isolation exercises whereas the big three are compound movements which incorperate the major muscle groups plus many other smaller stabilising muscles. Sets and reps are more of a personal thing some like 5x5, 3x10-12 etc personally I prefer 1 warm-up set and then straight into the work set of around 8-10 reps. This routine is done twice a week (although squats and deadlift should probably be alternated especially if done for 20 reps) and would probably last no more than 45 minutes.

Although this probably doesn't sound a lot if done properly it will work, the key is progression. After the first 3 or 4 weeks of getting into the routine weight should be added in small increments (1 or 1/2 kg even less for the smaller movements) for as long as possible. This is how muscle is built. After being overloaded the muscle super compensates so the next time it is able to lift more weight, although in reality this will probably be much less than even 1/2kg, but over a period of time it will add up to perceptable gains. The by-product of this increase in muscle strength is muscle mass. This does of course require considerable effort in the gym, if you breeze through your routine then your not working hard enough. Try this little exercise, take a weight you can squat for 10 reps (10 hard reps not easy ones), drop it 15-20% and try and get 20 reps with it, if you haven't collapsed on the floor puffing like a steam train then your not trying (be careful if your not used to this sort of training though or you'll pay for it the next couple of days with extremely sore legs ).

Of course the most overlooked part of a training regime is rest. Muscles don't grow when you train, only when you rest. 2,3,4 or even more days may be needed to recover fully from the session, and training before the muscle has recovered is counter-productive. Sleep is also something that needs to be looked at, without adequate amounts of it your never going to be able to recover properly.

The major factor in training is learning what works for you, 3 sets of 10 might work wonders for you while someone else may grow better on 5x5, you might recover in 2 days while another may need 5 days, but IMHO the above outlines a good place to start.

To finish if I could recommend one magazine to someone just starting or frustrated with their lack of gains it would have to be Hardgainer. It was only after reading the first issue of this back in 1989 that I started to make any real progress. (no I don't work for them )

Thanks
    Karma Level

I had a personal trainer a while back and he said nearly all of this! Gr8 stuff m8. I trained twice a week and saw gr8 gains. The only easy thing that you are gonna get is that you only have to train twice a week. It won't be easy but you can see the benefits throughout the week when they start to show through! I packed it in bcuz i cudnt b arsed ne mor though! lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

Pretty much spot on m8 except for this bit....

"training properly and effectively is f**cking hard work and no supplement (legal that is) under the sun is going to make it any easier."

I agree with the training is hard work bit, if it wasnt hard work everyone would be walking around like Little Arnies, or big Arnies but I have used legal supplements that have definitley 100% helped. I started back last year and put on over 10lbs in weight within about 3 months of training and I reckon at least half of that was muscle, 10 years ago that would have been impossible, but I was taking Protein powder with whey, that has twice the BV of beef (Biological value - ie how easy the body can break the protein down) and Andro 250, a supplement to "trick" the body into producing some more testosterone, not as much granted as hard core steroids (I have never used them btw) but was very effective. I know a few people who have tried this and all said the same, they had more stamina in the gym, better pumps (not trainers - duh!) which lasted longer and they had better gains and recovery times. Need I say more???

Ask Guns himself, he has tried it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Would also like to know where you get the Andro 250 from and can it be bought online...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi ya madmanc.

Ok, I'll outline a basic routine that you can follow if you wish. Also if you haven't trained before then you should spend some time learning the correct way to perform the exercises. Don't be impatient and try to use heavy weights before your ready as an injury could set you back months or even possibly end your training career before it's even begun.

As you said your going to a gym there should hopefully be someone competent there to explain the correct way to perform the various exercises, which will be better than me trying to write it down in a few words, in fact I was just going to copy it straight from a book but there are over 32 pages describing both the squat and deadlift so I decided against it .

Right the routine:

Perform 5-10 minutes of light aerobic work before and after the routine, also stretch the appropriate muscles between sets.

Monday

Bench Press 2x8
    Chinup or Pulldown 2x8
    Barbell Curl 2x8
    Calf Raise 2x20
    Side Bend 2x8

Thursday

Squat 2x10
    Stiff-legged deadlift 2x10
    Barbell press 2x8
    Crunch 2x10

(2x10 means 2 sets of 10 repetitions)

The sets shown are work sets and should be preceeded by 1 or 2 warmup sets.

If the days don't suit then change them but try to leave the same amount of rest days between workouts.

Use fairly light weights to start with and add weight slowly until you are comfortable with all the exercises (this could be a couple of months or more if you are totally new to training). At some point in the future you will find that you will be unable to get the last rep or two with your current weight, when this happens maintain the same weight every workout until you complete the desired reps, next workout add weight and repeat the process. Try to maintain perfect form on all exercises throughout the routine, doing cheat curls with massive weight is only going to inflate your ego not your arms and will increase the likelyhood of an injury occuring.

It may not seem alot and I'm sure others would add many more exercises, sets, reps etc but I believe that it's a good place to start and it was only when I began using this sort of abbreviated routine that I made any appreciable gains. And at the risk of sounding like a salesman I really would consider buying Beyond Brawn, and possibly Weight-Training Technique, as they explain a lot more and go into more detail than I can fit in these posts, without developing RSI .

Thanks
    Karma Level

No problem, hope it helps.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yo morph did that andro 250 make your plums shrink?
    And did you get a deeper voice??

Thanks
    Karma Level

i think the best legal substitute would be creatine drops, it just gives u the edge to train that much harder

"no problems, just solutions"

"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail"

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by WTD
    Yo morph did that andro 250 make your plums shrink?
    And did you get a deeper voice??
    Well I only did a month on them, then a month on 19 NOR, so dont think it was enuff time to tell

My voice is pretty deep anyway :-)

Give it a try, trusssst me

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tried all those prohormones and they didn't do a thing for me.
    You've maybe got good genetics.

I was forced to go over to the 'dark side'