Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

David Blaines Coke Can Trick, As seen on his special VERTIGO

sorry if this has been posted b4,

if not then here u go

As seen on his special VERTIGO

All u need for this illusion is a can of coke or any fizzy drink with a high concentration of carbon dioxide. Pepsi and coke are the best. You also need a thin pin or needle and a few minutes of your time.

1) emptying the can.
    Hold the can upside down in your sink and make a small pin hole in the can just below it's neck and if it's a coke can try and put it in a place where there is black print. U want to make the hole at the side of the can just below the neck and 90 degrees either direction away from the ring pull so its on the side not front or back of can. The coke will squirt out and try and empty around a third of the contents out. Then turn the can up the right way so it stops squirting.

2) crushing the can
    squeeze the sides of the can so it looks crushed until the liquid fills the can up to the needle hole. Make the dents in the can as soft as possible so that the power of the carbon dioxide doesnt crack the can later on while you restore it. Try to squeeze the can together by its sides to give it a "waist". the waist should be clearly visible when holding the can with the opening to your audience. don't make the folds in the squeezed can to rough as they will crack during performance.

3)make it seem opened
    this is the part where a little sleight of hand comes into play. You need to have also prepared a piece of napkin just the size of the mouth piece and have it coloured black. U fix it to the cans mouth piece with the slightest of moisture and being a napkin it sticks. the can now looks empty and opened.

4)the effect
    u need to get used to handling the can in it's crushed state and aslong as u keep the pin hole above liquid level everything will go ok.

5)the patter and trick
    enter a room with a glass filled with enough coke so its assumed it's come from the crushed can you are holding in your other hand.
    "you know, coming in here I met this guy. He asked me if I was a magician and I said yes. I had just poured my drink and he took the empty can from me and said, " look what I can do " and crushed the can against his forehead. He left me with a large grin on his face. Well I'm not to be the judge but I think there are better things you can do with an empty can.

With that you adjust your grip on the can so that you hold it by the top with your thumb covering the pin hole. Move the can ever so slighty but enough to fizz the drink up. the can will expand to its original state and with sleight of hand you remove the small piece of black coloured napkin from the mouth piece and open the can pouring the contents out for all to see.

Enjoy

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Just tried it and it works a treat, just need a witness... good party trick for new year

Time Flies when you're having fun! A decade of DF - April 2002-2012.

Thanks
    Karma Level

lol very good but sounds like too much work to me

booboo

Thanks
    Karma Level

Anybody got any other descriptions of how he does his tricks, for instance, how does he levitate?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The levitation is a 2 part trick.

He first of all levitates in front of ppl by standing @ an angle and raising himself about 2 - 3 inches by hiding one foot from the other and lifiting up onto his toes.

For the second part they use extras to stand with their back to the camera and raise him up on good old steel ropes.

Once both the segments have been edited together it looks like he has levitated 1 foot !

If you watch the clip a few times you can see its just 2 takes and a bit of camera work.

oE.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i have a .pdf file which explains quiet a few of his tricks....if anyone wants it i'll find it out and post it in here.

Regards

IruN

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks oE m8, I feel a bit cheated thou, I was amazed to see him do it on the TV, now i find out he's cheatin and using ropes the twat. Booooooo, I h8 magicians now.

Thanks
    Karma Level

There was a show on S*y One once by The Masked Magician and he exposed all of Blaines tricks . I was once fascinated by Blaine but seeing how they were done kinda ruined it all for me.

I loved how he stuck a ciggie threw a coin ( a trick coin , obviously ) The funniest was the way he made a fly come back to life . The fly was frozen in dry ice and the heat from his hand warmed it and it came back to life.

Theres some kid from my area that can do the blaine leviatation spot on . It looks freaky other than the fact I know how its done.
    ( Notice how Blaine he angles people saying its to catch him becuase the levitation makes him weak)

Did you see the one were he asked someone to write a deceased persons name on a piece of paper then he lit the paper and stubbed it out on his arm then the persons name was on his arm. This was camera and slight of hand ( You only saw the second take after blaine had took the paper and read the name then wrote the name in wax on his arm)

Thanks
    Karma Level