Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Terror police find deadly poison

Anti-terrorist police have arrested seven people after discovering traces of the highly toxic poison, ricin, in London.
    In the early hours of 5 January, six men of north African origin and one woman were arrested under the Terrorism Act 2000 at premises in North and East London by officers from the Metropolitan Police Anti -Terrorist Branch.

The six men, aged in their late teens, 20s and 30s, remain in custody and are being interviewed by Anti-Terrorist Branch officers.

The woman has since been released.

The arrests follow a joint operation between the Anti-Terrorist Branch, MPS Special Branch and the Security Service, and followed intelligence passed to officers.

A quantity of material and items of equipment were found at a residential address in Wood Green, north London, where one of the men was arrested.

Police say forensic analysis of the Wood Green address is currently being carried out.

Toxic material

Ricin, which comes from the castor bean, is considered a likely biowarfare or bioterrorist agent and is on the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention's "B" list of agents - considered a moderate threat.

It is relatively easy to manufacture in small amounts but would be considered an unusual agent to use for a mass attack as it must be ingested or injected to take effect.

Large quantities were reportedly found in caves in Afghanistan.

It was also the toxin thought to have been used to murder dissident Bulgarian Georgi Markov, who was stabbed on Waterloo Bridge in London with a poisoned umbrella in 1978.

Referring to the threat still posed by international terrorism, Prime Minister Tony Blair told an audience of diplomats in London: "The arrests that were made earlier today [Tuesday] show this danger is present and real and with us now and its potential is huge."

Deputy Chief Medical Officer Dr Pat Troop said: "We have previously said London, and indeed the rest of the UK, continues to face a range of terrorist threats from a number of different groups.

"And while our message is still 'alert not alarm', we would re-iterate our earlier appeals for the public to remain vigilant and aware and report anything suspicious to police."

Sir Timothy Garden, former assistant chief of defence staff assessed the likely threat.

"It depends very much on the quantities one's talking about," he told BBC News 24.

"It could have been produced by amateurs in very small quantities.

"If it's a significant quantity then it's a worry because this is a poisonous agent which would require a lot of work to produce in a major quantity for use by terrorists."

Tests continuing

The material has been analysed at the Defence Science and Technology Laboratories at Porton Down in Wiltshire.

A small amount of the material recovered from the Wood Green address tested positive for the presence of ricin.

Mr Troop said: "Our primary concern is the safety of the public and the police have worked closely with the Department of Health throughout.

"Tests were carried out on the material and it was confirmed this [Tuesday] morning that toxic material was present.

"The department is now alerting the health service, including primary care, about these developments.

"It is also ensuring that the Health Service is able to provide advice to the public, including through NHS Direct."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/2636099.stm

Ok you know the score by now so if you wish to contribute to this thread then keep it constructive with No Racist or anti religious comments Please.

Thanks
    Karma Level

This is 20 minute's from where I live, man do I feel safe.

Thanks
    Karma Level

We gonna see alot more of this kind of stuff on the news....

biological and chemical weapons can be made by anyone with some sort of biological or chemical background...

As a science student i know how easy it is to mass produce biological weapons......here is a scenario

Terrorist manages to get hold of a "minute" amount of substance...lets say ebola, anthrax, small pox or some other sort of contagious virus or bacteria. Terrorist starts producing vast amounts of each virus or toxin at home on his/her science kit...Terrorist then releases these "biological weapons", at an international airport by contaminating the food, or the air conditioning.... and what do u have?

a biological attack, one which will be very hard to control, because of the distance it can be carried by people travelling vast distances...---global biological attack

Now substitute the word terrorist with "microbiology undergraduate".....

now do u see the world we live in? Do u feel safe?

btw that microbiology student isnt me.... im a biomedical science student..... and i'd also like to add....Tony B'Liar i want grants not ****ing loans...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Its not good is it. All I can say is props to the various intellegence services and police for working together (unlike those in the USA, there are huge rifts between the CIA and FBI) to stop anything happening so far.

Anyone else stopped using the tube recently?
    Try Gentoo, the linux source distro...
    Currently Playing: Viewtifull Joe (GC), Mario Kart : Double Dash (GC), Mario & Luigi Superstars (GBA).

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I still use the tube (when it's working!). To be honest I'm more scared of a fire or crash.

What makes me laugh is the photo of the flat in the METRO paper this morning. It's above a bloody Pharmacy! Isn't that a tad convienient??

'Guardian Pharmacy'
    0181 888 1729

The scary thing is that these nutters have now proved that they can get hold of dangerous chemicals/poisons and are prepared to use them in the UK. Beforehand it was all theory and warning.

As soon as these *******s are put inside, I hope prison gangs rip each of these twats a new arse hole.

Thanks
    Karma Level

To be honest I'm more scared of a fire or crash.
    Yeah, this is another reason I really try not to use the tube. Its just doesnt feel safe...

At least Ricin is not exactly easy to distribute. Shows the intent is there though...
    Currently Playing: Viewtifull Joe (GC), Mario Kart : Double Dash (GC), Mario & Luigi Superstars (GBA).

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yazmon states "Yeah, this is another reason I really try not to use the tube. Its just doesnt feel safe..."

Everyone who drives round in a car thinks the accident will happen to someone else.

Everyone who travels by train, tube or air thinks the accident will happen to them!

Get with it lads, relax don't let it worry you. See life as one big bungy jump at just that split second when you can feel it tensioning.

All the Best

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by paininthe
    Everyone who drives round in a car thinks the accident will happen to someone else.

Everyone who travels by train, tube or air thinks the accident will happen to them!
    Yeah interesting isnt it? I guess people think they are more in control when driving.

You really do not feel in control when youve been stuck in a tunnel for 10mins during the rush hour and cannot move due to over crowding...

Thanks
    Karma Level

im still using the tube, because it would take 3 times longer on the bus thanks to Trafalgar square being pedestrianised. when the strikes where on I was having to walk as the buses would be overcrowded even more than usual, London transport is a nightmare in general.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Wood Green?
    Christ!! thats like 15 mins drive from me!

Thanks
    Karma Level
    Not trying to stir it guys,but did anyone notice on the BBC news that the suspects are here as asylum seekers.
    I'm so proud that we saved these individuals from their hell..............so that they can create a new one here.

Thanks
    Karma Level

funny the same discussion broke out at work, we are all 'fuelled' by this, please i dont think its a good idea to incite this...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ok you know the score by now so if you wish to contribute to this thread then keep it constructive with No Racist or anti religious comments Please.

Just a reminder of what i put in the original post incase anyone is thinking about turning this thread into a race debate.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by beekae
    Not trying to stir it guys,but did anyone notice on the BBC news that the suspects are here as asylum seekers.
    I'm so proud that we saved these individuals from their hell..............so that they can create a new one here.
    I read in the paper that they picked these 6or7 guys out coming through customs, but they let them in to keep an eye on then i.e. try and work out what they were up to.
    All sweeping statements are wrong.