Close

Thread: Thor 1w

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Thor 1w

Hey guys

Should i be able to get anything from Thor 1w with an 88cm Triax dish and 0.6db Alps LNB from the Oxford area.

I can get 67% signal on BBC World but absolutely no signal quality and no picture

knee doc
    Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.
    -Isaac Asimov

Thanks
    Karma Level

You should be able to. I can get lots of channels using an 80mm dish. I live in Kent, close to Rochester. Can you help with my question in the forum ?

BeeKay.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi Knee Doc,
    You shouldn't have probs in Oxford. I get 70% sig & 63 % quality in east London and pictures are fine. Have you checked the transponder settings in your ird? Maybe they are out of date - mine usually are. Have a look on lyngsat.com or satcodx.com.

Regards Scruff,

Thanks
    Karma Level

I haven't , how do i do that i'm a noob to the motorized bit, i've looked on both those sites and i've got humbox with my channel listings, but i have no clue what i'm looking at

Any pointers

knee doc
    Last edited by knee doc; 2nd February 2003 at 08:35 PM.
    -Isaac Asimov

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi,
    OK your BBC world example is a good one to work off. Lyngsat says it is on transponder 75 U with Freq 11540 Vertical. Symbol rate is 26000 and FEC = 3/4.

Your ird needs to know these settings when it is doing a channel search. Go into your setup menu (I don't have a hummy myself) and look for the channel or transponder settings. Scroll through the settings and verify there is an entry with the details above. If not just add the above in. Then do a channel scan. Some receivers will let you do just one transponder others make you do the whole lot. If you can do just one then stick to that for now.

If you have the settings in but still no data quality then you may have some hardware problem. Has it worked on other satellites?
    An example: I had a pefectly good 0.7db LNB that worked a treat on analogue but would never work on digital. I went out and bought exactly the same one except it was now labeled as digital and it worked a treat. The old one had too much phase noise.

FYI the 11540 is the freguency which is obviously importent

V is the polarity of the signal

and 26000 is the rate the receiver can expect to get data - get any of these wrong and you will have signal strength but no data quality. Most receivers can guess the FEC so thats not so important.

Lastly are you 100% sure you are pointed at 1W? It's not very far from Sirius at 5E and so it's quite easy to make a mistake when you are setting these things up "blind"

Let me know how you get on.

Regards Scruff,

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanx Scruff, i had noticed something a bit wierd, in my channel listings (PET123 H-H ) position 7 says Thor but when you do a manual tune it says its looking for Telecom2c????? and that Thor is actually not in the drop down box as a choice to change it to??

I have managed to get some altered H-H settings that i will try tonight

thanx fo rthe info

knee doc
    -Isaac Asimov

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi,
    Sounds like you do have a setting wrong. There's nothing to see on Telecom 2C.

If you get really stuck you might like to try pre loading all the channels via the serial port. I found a file at

http://uk.internations.net/delphy/

Don't know if it's any good though.

Godd luck and give me a shout if you still have prob's

Regards Scruff,

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanx for that, yeah i have uploaded the latest ToH patch for the Humax and noted that the thor settings you mentioned above are correct, and i don't have a Thoe satellite in my selection box, but i do have Intelsat 707, but i can't get anything from that either

This is doin my head in
    -Isaac Asimov

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi,

Intel 707 is fine. Are you sure the mount is set up OK? Have you tried leaving it set to Thor/707 and moving Left or Right a bit to see if you can get anything? I wouldn't trust the auto settings on initial setup. In fact I dont use auto anymore at all on positioner 'cos it all went tits up. I just move Left or Right 'till I find what I'm looking for now.

Let me know.

Regards Scruff,

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yup did that, left right, up down even stood on me head still nothing and the real bummer is i can't get Hispasat 30W either which is the other sat i really want.
    I have even chosen say position 15 told it it was Hispasat, or thor, manually typed in details for a clear to air station and nothing, zip. from those 2 Satellites.

I either need to find someone with a Hummie that uses a STAB and get them to test it, or get an STB with that auto setup thing and then put my box back on the STAB.

Thanx for your help

knee doc
    -Isaac Asimov

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi Kneedoc,
    I see from your other post that you got the other channels. So if you are just missing 1W and Hispasat I'd say it's got to be just setup. 1W should be a tiny bit easier to get than H as 1w is bang in the middle so if your mount was a bit off it shouldn't matter that much. Based on that I would think the problem would be receiver parameters.
    At this point I would do something like: make sure i could get Sirius, then choose a frequency that neither Sirius or Telecom use but Thor does then move across maybe 5 ticks at a time 'till I got something.

Something just occured to me! You DO have a completely clear view across the arc don't you? No trees, flats, poles in the way etc? At my place I've got a nice big fat tree obscuring 28E Not that I give a sh*t about that :-)))))))

Regards Scruff,