Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Programming Course

Hope this is the right forum,
    I'm thinking of a change in career and want to do a programming course or something similar. Been looking at this http://www.prosmartuk.com/CP.htm
    and was wondering if anyone thinks it would be worth my while. Understandably its down to comitment to the course Im 31yrs old and desperately need to get out of the dead end job Im in.
    What are these online courses like?
    Are they recodnized by employers?
    All replies are appreciated.....
    P.S. My current job is no relation to I.T. my only knowledge of computers is through my home PC.

Thanks
    Karma Level

getting your MCSD, MCSE or MCDBA are a good way to start MCSD is the developers one... you will find it difficult to get into IT with no experience even with these qualifications.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The IT jobs market at the moment is stagnant m8, and like graham says, without any experience you'll be lucky to find any employer who'll give you a chance.

But if you are determined to get into IT then get yourself a few books on the subject you fancy first to see what your aptitude is for this kind of work, because theres a big difference between being able to install your own HD and securing a corporate network or developing an enterprise application. First thing thou is to choose between being on the admin/technician (network admins, technicians etc) or programmer/developer (writing code) side of things.

Don't be put off by our doom and gloom though, I was in your situation 7 years ago and wanted to get into IT, so I just worked hard at gaining some skills (didn't bother with any courses, just got some books etc and taught myself) and went for it and today I work for myself and I couldn't be happier. Much better than the 12 hour night shifts and working every bank holiday/christmas etc. that I did before.

Thanks
    Karma Level

im pretty lucky i got a ict technicians job with no expierence at a local school so a council job looks good on a resume i guess. where im moving to in Australia they have a college that is really good you go on a short 6 week or so course and then they help find a suitable placement for work. I dont know of anywhere in England that does this but im sure there are a few places.