Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default 100mbit full duplex

Quick question for the networking gurus.

I have a redhat linux box with three network cards. They all have different static IPs.

I want to use two of them, bind them to the same IP but have one for 100Mbit in and one for 100Mbit out.

Does anyone have a linux HOWTO or can explain this to me.

Cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

You can't bind one IP address to two different network cards, if you did then how is the data supposed to know where to go (that would be like having 2 houses in the same street with the same door number).
    If your NIC's are truly full duplex then they will be able to handle 100Mbit both ways simultaneously anyway (allowing 10% for overheads).
    Understeer is when you hit a wall with the front of your car
    Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the back of your car
    Horsepower is how fast your car hits the wall
    Torque is how far your car sends the wall across the field once you've hit it

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by Pegasus Team
    You can't bind one IP address to two different network cards, if you did then how is the data supposed to know where to go (that would be like having 2 houses in the same street with the same door number).
    If your NIC's are truly full duplex then they will be able to handle 100Mbit both ways simultaneously anyway (allowing 10% for overheads).
    Actually mate, it's possible on Windows if you use load balancing or Compaq teaming (if they're Compaq NIC's) but I haven't got a clue with Linux..

It's a bit weird Pegasus (it's a frig), basically both cards start transmitting the same MAC address so it doesn't work with all switches, since a lot of switches will autolearn and transmit data to only one of the switch ports.. Works fine with hubs since they transmit to all ports.

In the case of Windows Load Balancing it spoofs the MAC address to 02-BF-xx-xx-xx-xx where the last four sections are the IP address converted to hex, say the balanced IP was 212.253.144.28 then both NIC's (or more depending on how many are in the balanced set) would present a MAC Address of 02-BF-D4-FD-90-1C

You can set preferred hosts, ports balanced etc and Windows takes care of everything for you.

It's a bit of a frig but it does work..

With the Compaq teaming stuff that's very similar to the above, not sure of the algorithm they use but you can have the cards in failover mode where one takes over if the other fails, or teamed to double the bandwidth available and there's another mode but I can't remember that of the top of my head at the minute..

It can be the mother of all ****s to set up at times though if the networking gear doesn't like addressing one MAC via multiple ports - in fact it just won't work.....
    Go shagging in Prague or live it large in Vegas !!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well I'll be fu**ed, cheers for that Aido.
    Understeer is when you hit a wall with the front of your car
    Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the back of your car
    Horsepower is how fast your car hits the wall
    Torque is how far your car sends the wall across the field once you've hit it

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the info.

I've seen it done on a linux box. 100mb in and 100mb out on two seperate cards using ipchains. God knows how they bonded it to one IP.

And in windows you can do it very easily using a bridge.