Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default how to get your non working roms working on MAME-X

As the title says it a guide to getting MAME roms working on the Xbox. I thought I'd put it here as I haven't come across any tutorials for this problem yet, and I know there's probably a good few of you that wont have got them working!

This method applies to all those games that don't load / load then crash*, have bootleg versions (to replace the original as the original dosen't work), different versions but have merged roms (ie bubble bobble / super bubble bobble), and neo geo.

{*There are a few games that can be fixed to load but because of memory problems on the Xbox they simply cannot be run, this is a trial and error process, you wont know till you try!}

Also I am assuming you already have winrar, a chipped Xbox, the evo-x dash with MAME installed, instant FTP access to your Xbox, and lastly a recent set of MAME roms! You will require all these before you start. If you don't have any of these use the search function and read!

use this link www.mame.dk to obtain the information needed about the romsets.

as an example I'll use the game Slapfight, if you try and load this from the original untouched rom it will load and then crash.

If you clicked the link you'll see that there are 4 versions, the original, a bootleg jap version, a bootleg english version, and a re-named version called Alcon.

We want to make the bootleg UK version so click on the link to the UK bootleg version. Locate your original rom on your pc's hdd and make a new folder and put the rom into it (make a copy of the rom first if you haven't got one). Extract the rom to it's named folder and open it and make another new folder. Now look at the page for the English bootleg version, scroll down to the download information part at the bottom and you'll see the rom file is called slapbtuk.zip.

the files for the english bootleg are,

sf_rh.bin: 3c42e4a7 32768 In slapfigh.zip
    sf_r05.bin: 87f4705a 8192 In slapfigh.zip
    sf_r11.bin: 2ac7b943 8192 In slapfigh.zip
    sf_r10.bin: 33cadc93 8192 In slapfigh.zip
    sf_r06.bin: b6358305 32768 In slapfigh.zip
    sf_r09.bin: e92d9d60 32768 In slapfigh.zip
    sf_r08.bin: 5faeeea3 32768 In slapfigh.zip
    sf_r07.bin: 974e2ea9 32768 In slapfigh.zip
    sf_r03.bin: 8545d397 32768 In slapfigh.zip
    sf_r01.bin: b1b7b925 32768 In slapfigh.zip
    sf_r04.bin: 422d946b 32768 In slapfigh.zip
    sf_r02.bin: 587113ae 32768 In slapfigh.zip
    sf_col21.bin: a0efaf99 256 In slapfigh.zip
    sf_col20.bin: a56d57e5 256 In slapfigh.zip
    sf_col19.bin: 5cbf9fbf 256 In slapfigh.zip
    sf_r19eb.bin: 2efe47af 16384 In slapbtuk.zip
    sf_r20eb.bin: f42c7951 16384 In slapbtuk.zip

simply pick these out of the files that are in the unzipped "slapfigh" folder and place them in the new folder, rename the new folder as "slapbtuk", right click the newly named folder and choose "add to archive", choose archive format ZIP and click OK, this will make you new working rom ;) .... now connect to your Xbox via your FTP client and transfer the zipped rom into you roms folder, easy huh!

When you load up MAME you'll see that instead of being called Slapfight it will now say Slapfight (english bootleg), highlight it and load, then play it!

As I mentioned above use that method for all your other non working games / alternate versions, for example Bubble Bobble which has the "Super" version merged into the original romset. Note some games like this one can also be switced on by using the game settings mode then looking at the dip switches settings, but you will have to change it each time the game is loaded. This way will load up the "Super" version and the original seperately allowing you to choose.

For NeoGeo games just unpack the game romset and also the neogeo.zip into one folder, re-zip it and name it as it was before hand, then it will load.

hope this helps some of you out

darren ;)¬~

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nice one ffrr.

Cheers
    Ironman