Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Im still runnin with the atkins it has slowed down...im 19 1/2 stone and a 38 waist. lookin better feelin better. to help along i started goin gym again but i put abut 5 pounds on almost immediatly i do weights and i only been 3 days on trott and stuck to diet....what could this weight gain be?...and yes i have been for a shit
    [live=tbops]tbops[/live]

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you wanna lose weight pick a DIET and stick to it. If you wanna lose weight quicker and feel good about yourself go to the gym.

Stay cool

Awaiting Email Confirm Thalamus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level
    I agree with that

Not only do you lose weight at the gym but you feel so much better.

Go for a run on the treadmill for 40 mins - 450 calories and you feel great.

Clears your head of any stress and helps you concentrate during the day.

2 or 3 times a week I go to my local gym (fitness first) for the last 18 months and I have gone from 13.8 to 11.2 stone. That also includes eating less fatty food then before. Cut out kebabs, fish and chips and live on tuna and pasta most of the time.

If I stopped drinking lager I probably would be 10 stone by now.

Should mention that I am 5ft 8 and calculated my BMI so I should be 10 .7.

You only live once so losing 2 and half stone may have increased my life span by 5-10 years.

ps. The guy who went to the gym and ended up putting on weight. Muscle is heavier then fat so you have been turning fat in to muscle hence weight going up.
    Last edited by Thalamus; 15th August 2003 at 09:59 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Don't know if anyone has already mentioned this but it's important for anyone considering the Atkins diet.

If you are over 30 years old you must consult your doctor prior to going on the Atkins diet.
    Atkins was originally developed as a lifestyle plan to help Diabetics long term control of their blood sugar level. It can be a severe shock to your system and in some cases can result in damage to organs. It is best to get tested by your Doc first so that he can check your liver, kidneys etc. just so you are safe. I believe people under 30 are generally OK but it does no harm to ask.
    DONUTS :) ------ Is there anything they can't do ??

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by Woops
    Don't know if anyone has already mentioned this but it's important for anyone considering the Atkins diet.

If you are over 30 years old you must consult your doctor prior to going on the Atkins diet.
    Atkins was originally developed as a lifestyle plan to help Diabetics long term control of their blood sugar level. It can be a severe shock to your system and in some cases can result in damage to organs. It is best to get tested by your Doc first so that he can check your liver, kidneys etc. just so you are safe. I believe people under 30 are generally OK but it does no harm to ask.
    Not knocking you mate but the bit about damaging organs is BS.
    Trying not to kill myself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMQH_xrFmKU

Thanks
    Karma Level

GEL,

OH OK then.

Firstly, I am diabetic and need to lose weight.

Secondly, My Diabetes consultant at the hospital is the person who told me this and made me have blood tests to check liver & Kidney function prior to allowing me on atkins. As it turned out he has advised me against going on it even though I need to reduce my blood sugars urgently. He says the "risks out weigh the benefits". Now -- that in itself should ring alarm bells- because if you know anything about diabetes you will realise the huge health issues it can cause.

I am not a doctor and therfore I will take his word on this.

Are you medically qualified? Are you 100% sure that this is BS -- because if you are not then you should be careful what you say.

I was only passing on what infomation I was given by my Doctor.

Thanks
    Karma Level

A high protein + fat diet will not harm or damage any organs of the body. Period

If you have health issues such as yourself then yes, obviously consult your doctor, the diet can knock you 'out of whack' for the first couple of weeks.....

The reason why your doc asked for your liver and kidney values is because you are a diabetic and the diet will impact your sugar levels and may do more harm than good, possibly exaggerating any underlying problems making things worse not better.

I don't need to be a doc to tell you that, if you didn't have any health issues then he/she wouldn't of got you to do the tests in the first place.

If you want to tell me why/how the Ketogenic diets damage your organs I would be happy to explain the myths/facts about it.

Unfortunately these days doctors play it safe and go by the general medical concensus. I heard once eggs were bad for you too and that you shouldn't eat more than 4 a week lol....

Thanks
    Karma Level

He's a Doctor you're NOT --- End of story!!

And by the way I am not an idiot -- I am well aware of my condition and YES it was particularly relevent to my situation but not exclusively. All I am saying is better safe than sorry based on what I have been told by a Doctor.

Here's a extract from a medical article that may help you question your own medical EXPERT opinion. Published by the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Consumer Advisory
    Health Risks of High-Protein Diets
    Recent media reports have publicized the short-term weight loss that sometimes occurs with the use of very-high-protein weight-loss diets. Some of these reports have distorted medical facts and have ignored the potential risks of such diets. Past experience with the fen-phen drug combination and other weight-loss regimens has shown that some people may disregard even serious long-term health risks in hopes of short-term weight loss.

We would like to notify you of (1) risks from the long-term use of high-protein diets, (2) currently circulating misunderstandings and deceptive statements made in support of such diets, and (3) the establishment of a registry for individuals who have followed such diets.

Health Risks
    Despite press accounts of seemingly dramatic weight loss, the effect of high-protein diets on body weight is similar to that of other weight-reduction diets. Two recent studies (one at Duke University1 and a second at the University of Pennsylvania, whose results are as yet unpublished) suggest that the average weight loss with high-protein diets during the first six months of use is approximately 20 pounds. This is not demonstrably greater than that which occurs with other weight-loss regimens or with low-fat, vegetarian diets.2

High-protein, very-low-carbohydrate, weight-loss diets are designed to induce ketosis, an abnormal state that also occurs in uncontrolled diabetes mellitus and starvation. Over the long run, ketosis can contribute to a variety of physical problems, including calcium losses, increased risk of osteoporosis, and an increased propensity to form kidney stones.3

High-protein diets typically contain higher-than-recommended amounts of dietary cholesterol, fat, saturated fat, and protein, and very low levels of fiber and some other important dietary constituents. The Nutrition Committee of the Council on Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Metabolism of the American Heart Association states, High-protein diets are not recommended because they restrict healthful foods that provide essential nutrients and do not provide the variety of foods needed to adequately meet nutritional needs. Individuals who follow these diets are therefore at risk for compromised vitamin and mineral intake, as well as potential cardiac, renal, bone, and liver abnormalities overall.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Karma Level

He's a Doctor you're NOT --- End of story!!

And by the way I am not an idiot -
    I never said you were - but it can be arranged

I am well aware of my condition and YES it was particularly relevent to my situation but not exclusively.
    You never said you were diabetic in the post and you said anyone over 30, hence my initial comment

High-protein, very-low-carbohydrate, weight-loss diets are designed to induce ketosis, an abnormal state that also occurs in uncontrolled diabetes mellitus and starvation. Over the long run, ketosis can contribute to a variety of physical problems, including calcium losses, increased risk of osteoporosis, and an increased propensity to form kidney stones.
    Where are the fats? You are supposed to have fats?
    If all you eat was protein a low carbs you would experience problems, you need to have fat/dairy in the diet (which includes calcium).
    You are supposed to take multi vitamins with this as well.....
    Kidney stones? - not if they drink enough fluids each day.
    Remember, the atkins/ketogenic diet is really an approach to eating. You will be eating reduced calories + vits/minerals so need to adjust your intake to suit.

High-protein diets typically contain higher-than-recommended amounts of dietary cholesterol, fat, saturated fat, and protein, and very low levels of fiber and some other important dietary constituents. The Nutrition Committee of the Council on Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Metabolism of the American Heart Association states, High-protein diets are not recommended because they restrict healthful foods that provide essential nutrients and do not provide the variety of foods needed to adequately meet nutritional needs. Individuals who follow these diets are therefore at risk for compromised vitamin and mineral intake, as well as potential cardiac, renal, bone, and liver abnormalities overall.
    High protein diets contain more fat, and in turn this DOES increase your cholesterol levels BUT there are two types of cholesterol, good and bad, if you increase your fat intake your good cholesterol will go up more so than the bad and actually lower the cholesterol.
    The fats to avoid are the trans fatty acids (hydrogenated)like those found in processed foods, peanut butter, chocolate etc...
    Compromised vitamin intake will only apply if you do not take a good multi vitamin each day. - which is recommended for everyone regardless of their diet.

I removed the first bit of the quote because the diet is in question, not how sucessful it is.

Maybe you should go have a biscuit or something to help raise your glucose a bit mate, you sound like your a bit rattled
    Last edited by Gel; 15th August 2003 at 06:05 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Losing weight fast

Lads, im now under 18 stone, just by about a pound...but its the first time i ever been under 18. keep it up! only another 2 stone to go!
    [live=tbops]tbops[/live]

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tbops
    but its the first time i ever been under 18. keep it up! only another 2 stone to go!
    Nice work mate, feel sorry for your mother lol 18 stone baby! :coffee:

Thanks
    Karma Level

it was a scazarian

but cuz of xmas i bloated out again. but no wonder i get 16 by summer or ill do somink really stupid that u guys on forum can decide
    [live=tbops]tbops[/live]

Thanks
    Karma Level

well done tb way to go,i m still chugging along using xenical(orilstat) tabs had a weigh in yesterday now lost 3/half stone since end of october. yes i still drinking and takeaways too, wish i'd found these tabs earlier, gym 3 days a week too
    slow but sure,or is it sure but slow

On the sidewalk Sunday morning
    Lies a body oozing life
    Someone's sneaking 'round the corner
    Is that someone Mack the Knife

Thanks
    Karma Level

well done mate, you do just cardio at gym or weights as well?

Nik

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123