Close

Thread: Work Experience

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Work Experience

Ive got my work experience coming up in October and they said i have to prepare for it now...any suggestions....? mainly around birmingham....Oh Btw...no..."go on the game?"..be serious!
    WALLAWALOO!!!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

can u say "big issue"

DJ
    I was touched by Jesus, so i had him arrested.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think theres enough of them already

Thanks
    Karma Level

starting from now,practice getting up real early and get home real late......get used to it, Tesco shelves are always in need of stacking....this is the start of the rest of your life........!lol
    "God is a comedian, playing to an audience who are too afraid to laugh...."

Thanks
    Karma Level

doesnt ur school provide u with placements??

they did when i did mine a few years ago.. i was in the labs at Beechams (the company that make medicines n vitamins n pish, check ur medicine cabinet, uve prolly got something that came from them)

was ok.. least it wasnt just making tea n shit, they gave us crap to do and it was a good few days, plus i got to keep me white coat lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ask around - Family & Friends - Try and get ya self into an office to see what you think...Even if it's just doing paper work...that way you'll get to grips with office culture coz it just doesn't suit some people

My aunt worked for big Japanese bank in the City (London). She got me working in their IT department. I was bricking it...yet it turned out to be class. I wasn't into IT or anything...After my 2 weeks work experience they called me back to work over the summer...the money was pretty good and I really enjoyed it.

I've been in IT ever since...Although the bank did go bust not so long ago - Nothing to do with me though!

Teachers make out it's all straight laced and that you've got to be on your best behaviour...that’s crap...Coz you're the new boy they'll take the piss and have a laugh...give as good as you get and you'll be sorted.

I've had loads of my family members doing work experience with me and they've all enjoyed it...if you go somewhere where you have a family member you won't feel so alone and they'll probably give you an easy time...

PS

If they send you out for any of the following...Don't get caught out:

Sky hooks
    A long wait
    20mm holes
    Glass hammer

Trust me theres always one...

Thanks
    Karma Level

can u say "do u want fries with that"

DJ

Thanks
    Karma Level

Work Experience is a fucker i am doing a hnd so i am of to HTV, so you may see me on tv

lol

:-)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by marcode
    doesnt ur school provide u with placements??
    yeah i thought the schools did this aswell
    Through the darkness of futures past. The magician longs to see.
    One chance out between two worlds. Fire Walk With Me.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by freaky
    yeah i thought the schools did this aswell
    they do, well to a certain extent, when i did mine a few yrs back we were told to get our own placement wherever we wanted and if u couldnt the school would provide one as a last resort. wot i think the colonel is trying to do is mentioning it here in an attempt to get some really cool placement he can show of to his mates about.

man, go make coffee for boring ppl in a bank for 2 weeks like most ppl do

DJ

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yea i sorted me own placements out, well i half did. I went to work at UCLAN in the office my dad works in but he only agreed to get me on that placement on the condition i went to work with his mate for a bit as well.

I ended up doing both placements, the first with his m8 in a factory in manchester, he made me do this so i know why to avoid manual labour, and im tellin you i fukin know why now! Had to stand on a freezin rd at 6 in mornin for my lift down there then got home at 18:00 knackered.

After that placement i went to work at uclan an i tell you i have never had such a dos in my life, AV / IT is well easy compared to manual labour, nice dry offices usually relaxed attitude and good laugh.

I sort of rambled for a bit but the point is look for a placement in IT if your after a nice easy week, if you want an experience you wont forget get the school to sort you with a joiners or mechanics or summat.

Gettin a IT placement will be tough, try looking for places that do Investors in People crap (Universities, Colleges Council etc are the obvious ones) then just ring them up or go in and ask who you could talk to about a placement.

I know the teachers usually say shit like do sumthing you dont think you will do as a career for an experience but i think they are right, if you try summat like a mechanic or wateva at least you can say you have done it!

Hope this helps ya,

-Bez

Thanks
    Karma Level

u either choose your own now or the schools get u a sh!t one, i was workin in an pc shop in the town, burgers and shakes every day , i knew the manager so had an easy time and at the end of it i got a M$ joy stick worth £99, i prefer work to school, mainly cause once u know everyone u just have a laugh, teachers r misserable fuckers, or at least myn were

ABCMan

given what i do i've had quite a few kids go on work experience.

general rule

dont let the school pick, on of my more idle ****s told them he wanted to do electrical engineering (he actualy wanted to be an electrician but didnt know the difference) they sent him to a roadworking company, where after the make tea command (see below) he ended up putting roadsigns in frames for 2 weeks, he ended up taking his flt licence and now thats his job.

tip: if asked to make the tea/coffee FIRST TIME use double quantities of both coffee/sugar and let the teabag brew for a good 10 mins, next time make it with half quantity and just wave the teabags at the mugs, they wont keep asking you to make it.

beware of : as above +
    stripy or tartan paint
    a bucket of steam
    a long stand (although if you have access to some kind of science lab long stands do actualy exist)

jobs some of mine have done and enjoyed have included....

Burger king (stayed working there all through college/uni for extra income)
    the local skatepark (went on to work there for a while as a saturday job, now studing in networking)
    helping in a primary school
    working in a kitchen (now an award winning cook)
    working in a non-petrol garage (now a mechanic)
    working in a computer shop (now shop manager of a console/toy shop)

as you see, things can work out, if you know what you want and couldnt get a training place for it, try to pick something that if you impress you can at least earn some money from whilst you complete your studies. just dont let the school pick one for you.

Thanks
    Karma Level

To be honest i would recommend finding your own as some of the school ones are shit but when i did it quite a lot of my m8's had great times at their jobs. One of em just sed to the school give me anything and so was working in etam or summat (girls clothes shop wateva it was) and he sed he had the best time in his life.

All he did was stare at fit birds all day, take snidy looks in the changing rooms and just generally fuck about, its surprising how some seemingly shit jobs can have advantages.