Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default what id like to know

this may sound a bit lame but! i wouldnt mind gettin somthing going on with the disscussion of how trojans\viruses work,and how soft for finding em like trojan\virus finders work? what they look for ect i say this cos im suspicious of alot of soft out there spyware included, theres lots of probs\lots of solutions? why is a trojan a trojan? and exe good? bad? im not very good at this so go easy on me lol

its also a shame i was gonna post this in the d+d to see what might be said but! this is the security forum. and also im amazed how little interest people take on security around some forums and, who i know(the real world)

wiz

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

There are a number of different types of Trojans

There are good and bad bit of software that all do the same thing.

A Trojan is made up of a server and a client

PC Anywhere is a type of Trojan (remote management software) that gives you remote access to a system, another example would be VNC

You can get it here

The server is inserted onto the victims PC and then the client connects to the server application from another PC.

A Trojan is a Trojan because of the delivery methods, it also hides and waits for it commands.

A nice picture attachment or a doc that you may be expecting etc.

The regedit command would be the way to see if there is a Trojan running in your system - search for the dir (runonce) and just above you will find (run), in these you will find lines that will launch applications, At this point it is down to you to see which application looks bad to you. Google search time.

TCPVIEW
    Here

This application will allow you to see what is calling out of your system and will also allow you to switch off the application and trace the were abouts of the application.

Virus checkers do not work

Virus checkers do not work - Well that is a bold statement, I can write a Trojan and make it get past any virus checker - another bold statement but it is true.

I am not saying that you should not use a virus checker - it as only as good as the updates - if a virus is not in the updates then there is no way it will be seen.

I have spoken in the past about Trojans and Viruses and tend now to talk about prevention and detection and not about how to insert them or make them - I do this on other forums and I do not do it here due to the amount of people who do not want this subject talked about.

Last edited by unclex; 16th April 2003 at 08:27 PM.
    Have Fun.

U.N.C.L.E. X

More UNCLEX than last week but less next :woot:

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanx unclex very informative as ever, pity we cant get into this trojan thing more as it affects all of us?

wiz

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

If we talk about Trojans - we will have to get the ok from Raptor, I am not going down this road with out permission
    Have Fun.

U.N.C.L.E. X

More UNCLEX than last week but less next :woot:

Social Networking Bookmarks