Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

About satellite internet connection

Hi guys

Sorry maybe i am in wrong place . But my question is this .

Is it possible to get internet connection via satellite like hotbird or any other satellite . I mean apply from eutelsat or othe company for internet connection via satellite . if yes how is the sotuation and how it works ??

please inform me

regard

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi there,

Ok there are two types of internet connection via satellite:

1. one way which means you connect to the internet using your dial up connection and the response is then proxyed back via satellite connection to your pc (cheaper option).

2. Two way which means you connect to the internet via satellite and the response is sent back via satellite (expensive option).

Option 1

Requires you to have a DVB card for your PC like a Skystar 1 / 2 and connect it to a sat dish pointing to Astra or hotbird, I use europe online (EON) and signed up for a package that cost me 60 pounds this included the DVB card and sub for 12 months. you can also decrypt channels using the card with some software called ProgDVB :-), software is also pushed using the EON system but can't talk about it to much ;-)

Option 2

This option is very expensive and is more for small business ect, require a two way dish and needs to be installed by the provider, I know BT openworld do a setup but you would be looking at 100's pounds a month. :-(

I hope this helps you out a bit.

Regards

dvdzone

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ok a real Noob question here, been looking into this as my dad is in a No DSL area so this would be his only option.

What sort of dish is required for this, I see 55cm or 80cm dishes in the packages at europe online. Would an old Sky dish work??

Stu...
    Stu.... :-)

Thanks
    Karma Level

dont do it, dont do it, dont do it, dont do it, dont do it

its very expensive and not worth it at all

trust me
    Photography: Nikon D50 - 18-55mm, 70-300mm, 105mm Macro, 2 x 2gb SD Cards, Jessops Tripod, LowePro Rucksack

Thanks
    Karma Level

I looked at the packages with the annual subs and thought it was not tooo bad. I know it's only 1GB per month but that would do him I think.

It's just the cost of the dish as far as I can see.
    Stu.... :-)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi wizer

The cost is high if you are a dumb arse and use the "SkyBooster" app all the time, I only switch it on when ever I really need to download an app that would otherwise be too slow over 56k.

Anyway I use the DVB card for other things like watching encrypted channels using progDVB with Softcam, which I can then record and burn off as DVD.

I also use another prog to get multicasted downloads every night like movies, apps, mp3 ect , now that can't be bad for a one off payment £60 inc of hardware.

And if I use the "Skybooster" app then I only pay for the time I use it and if thats £20 £30 per month then thats better than living with a 56k line for downloads.

Regards

Dvdzone

Thanks
    Karma Level

oh btw stu99

I use a 90 cm fixed dish in Southern England and have no problem what so ever, even in bad weather.

Europeonline is not the best solution and I would never recommend it as an alteenative to DSL but if you can't get the DSL then it is a good system if you need to download some software now and again.

I mean download speeds I get are around 70 - 80 kbps sometimes higher compaired to 4.3 kps on 56k line.

And if you decide to nock it on the head after a month then you still have a satellite dvb card which retail for around £50-£60 anyway.

And no before anyone asks I do not work for EON.....

Regards

Dvdzone

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by dvdzone

I also use another prog to get multicasted downloads every night like movies, apps, mp3 ect , now that can't be bad for a one off payment £60 inc of hardware.

Dvdzone
    Wanna say more? dont think its against the forum rules to provide information, just dont provide links to software that may be illegal

Thanks
    Karma Level

he's talking about a program called FFM, basically a group of 'pushers' decide on what they want you to have and then send it. You recieve around 20gb a night. but you don't have a choice in what you get and I have found you end up with shite loads of rubbish. roughly 1gb per night is useful. It sucks.. dont get sat net

oh and dvdzone Who the fuck are you to call me a dumbass? fucking cock
    Last edited by wizer; 4th June 2003 at 02:46 PM.
    Photography: Nikon D50 - 18-55mm, 70-300mm, 105mm Macro, 2 x 2gb SD Cards, Jessops Tripod, LowePro Rucksack

Thanks
    Karma Level

Dont think the dumb arse comment was aimed at u wizer!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi Wizer,

Yes you are correct the software is called FFM (File Fetch manager) there was some other software called Bitch Slapper that was alot better but was stopped as other people were downloading and selling the stuff on I think it was because some one had a nock on the door from the law.

I am using FFM and yes there is alot of stuff being pushed over night and some of it is crap or not wanted as I am not into games ect.

But the software is free and it does not cost you anything and there is no need to stay online to download the stuff freeing up you 56k line if you have one.

There is also no need to interact with some of the nob heads on the forum just donate the filezone space you get from EON and that is it.

So why are you saying it is so crap then, it is ok for free and give you another use for your DVB card.

oh and by the way i did not aim the comment of "dumbass" at you but as you called me a cock then you are a Prick.

:-)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thats it, all is fair now between dvdzone and wizer.

Anymore of it and i'll use my invisible super moderating powers to edit everything and close this thread! lol

or rather just get a supermod or admin to close this!!!!!!