Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Simple Guide for making MPEG 's optimized for PocketTV

This is a simple guide for making MPEG files optimized for PocketTV (http://www.mpegtv.com/wince/pockettv/] on your Pocket PC or Smartphone.

1.Get TMPGEnc from http://www.tmpgenc.net . TMPGEnc is a very good and free MPEG converter.

2.Download templates (.mcf files) from http://www.pockettv.com/template and place them in the Template sub-folder of TMPGEnc. Download the zip file to get all the templates.

3.Start TMPGEnc and select Cancel to exit the wizard.

4.Load your video source with the upper "Browse" button.

5.Load the template you want to use with the "Load" button. Note: The order of steps 4) and 5) is crucial!

- Smartphone portrait 176x136 is for portrait video that plays at full framerate. The average bitrate should be around 120 Kbit/sec, i.e. about 100MB for a 2h movie! (not sure I'd want to watch an entire movie on my phone, though...)

- Smartphone fullscreen 224x176 is for fullscreen video (lower fps). The average bitrate should be around 160 Kbit/sec, i.e. about 150MB for a 2h movie.

- Pocket PC portrait 240x196 is for portrait video (stereo). The total bitrate should be around 270Kbit/sec.

- Pocket PC fullscreen 320x240 is for fullscreen video (stereo). The total bitrate should be around 420Kbit/sec.

The "fast" templates will encode a lot faster although you'll get a slightly lower video quality and in the case of Smartphone, a slightly larger file.

6.Check the name of the Output file and change it if necessary (with the lower Browse button)

7.Hit "Start" and wait...

6.Copy the output MPEG file to a Storage Card and play it with PocketTV! Before making the copy, you should check the file by playing it on your PC.

Common problems and solutions:

1.TMPGEnc is too slow: Go in the "Options > Task Priority" menu. Change the priority to:
    - When Active, High priority
    - When not Active, Normal priority

2.TMPGEnc is still too slow: Use a "fast" template. This is much faster although the video quality will be slightly lower.

3.There are black bands around the image in the output video: You can see the black bands around the video displayed by TMPGEnc during the encoding. That's because the your source video does not have the same aspect ratio as the template rectangle.

- If the black bands are small, select "Settings > Advanced" and change "Video arrange Method" to "Full screen". If will slightly distort the image to fit the entire rectangle.

- If the method above causes too much distortion (e.g. your source is in wide-screen/letter-box format), you should change the size in "Settings > Video > Size". If the black bands are at the top and bottom of the image, reduce the vertical size to fit the aspect-ratio of the source format. If the black bands are at the right and left of the image, increase the vertical size or reduce the horizontal size. The size values must be multiple of eight.

4. I selected "Video arrange Method" = "Full screen" but there are still black bands: That's because there are black bands around the image in your video source. You can remove them as follows: Go in "Settings > Advanced", check the box in front of "Clip frame", double-click on "Clip frame", check the box "Resized image is used to display preview", move the slider to a position in the file where you can see the black bands, then increase the values for Top, Left, Bottom and/or Right until the black bands disapear.

5.Quality of video is too low: You can increase the video quality, but that will also increase the file size. Go in "Settings > Video".

- Smartphone: click on the second Setting button on the right, in front of "Rate Control Mode: Automatic VBR (CQ_VBR). Increase the quality value to 12 or 13 (it is set to 11 by the template).

- Pocket PC: Below "Rate Control Mode: Constant bitrate (CBR)", increase the Bitrate.

6. Audio is mono, I want stereo:

- Smartphone: Go in "Settings > Audio" and set "Channel mode" to "Joint-Stereo". The output the file will be larger, since stereo increases the bitrate by 32Kbit/sec.

- Pocket PC: The Pocket PC templates are set for Stereo, so if you get mono it's because your source is mono.

7. Audio volume is too low: Go in "Settings > Audio", click on "Settings", set the check-mark "Change Volume", then click on "Normalize". Value should be 75. Click OK. The value in the "Change Volume box will be set automatically for optimum volume level. You can adjust it if necessary.

8. Quality of audio is too low: You can increase the audio quality, but that will also increase the file size. Go in "Settings > Audio" and increase the Bitrate.

See if these work for you..

Thanks
    Karma Level

hi
    I use the http://www.pocketmatrix.com/guides/dvd2divx/#converting for the basics for ripping , I would say testing around will give you better results for you
    Cheers
    Sorry folks about the PSP history, I sold one at the price I bought to a mate and 2nd one I got some cash extra.